Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2016, 11:45   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: AIS tracking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cotemar View Post
I paid $15 for Marinetraffic.com AIS satellite service for 30 days, but that was money out the window as they are showing NOTHING at all.

Vesselfinder.com seems to track better and its FREE

Yes. Delorme Inreach is a paid service, but worth every penny if you want to see your trip
As far as I remember, Marine Traffic is not a sat AIS tracking company. They only own the web interface that visualises some AIS data from public (and now possibly sat based) sources.

To get sat tracked AIS, you talk to the companies that do this. They will show you how to set up your unit and tell you what the limitations are. They also provide you with direct access to the sat harvested data.

Avoid men in between. They charge you up and take no responsibility.

As said before, let's not discuss DeLorme vs. sat AIS as these are oranges and apples. DeLorme (now I think Garmin) is a nice device as are the Yellowbrick and, to a lesser extent, the Spot. But all these are a different group of devices.

If at all talking DeLorme vs. sat AIS then the question is should one have both onboard. It is not either-or. Same like AIS and radar are not either or.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 01:25   #17

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we signed up for MarineTracker and are in the data base as Soul Mates (2 words) some ports pick us up some do not - our last was arrival in Samsun but when we left not sure it picked us up -- we hit over 40 ports last year and lot did not have a system to id us --

But the Italians, Albanians, Greeks and now Turks know where we are at all times -- and we do not mind that - there is a certain about assurance that they are watching us -- as we head around the Black Sea (God willing) I but the rest of the countries will know where we are too
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 03:35   #18

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

The problem is that the web sites mentioned (eg Marine Traffic) do this. Some appear to have deliberate delays built in to make you pay more $. Therefore, you do not always appear where you really are, but sometimes you do. This is not related to the satellite problem.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 04:32   #19

Boat: Lagoon 450
AIS tracking

Colemar / Catatude attached is a Satellite track of your Class B AIS.

I have used Sat tracking with ExactEarth (vessel tracker) and Marine Traffic Satellite (about Euro 15pm). They all work fine with my yacht and other Class B yachts that have a good aerial. From all the AIS discussion I have read here, I am sure that those with a splitter and using their VHF aerial have a signal good enough to avoid another boat but poor for both terrestrial and sat tracking. I tried and changed to a dedicated, AIS frequency tuned, aerial and it tracks well and I have seen ships up to 80nm away.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-06-13 at 11.20.39 PM.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	244.8 KB
ID:	126076  
DavefromNZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 05:33   #20

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Davefrom NZ,

Wow, had I known that ExactEarth tracked that good I would have used them.

Their not very easy to get up an running as you have to ask for a price quote to start.

If you want you family and friends to watch the trip it would be a pain to use.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2016, 09:43   #21

Boat: Myra 21 - 1973 - MD2B

Hi Chuckr,
How's Georgia, and how's the yachting over there ?
Are you heading for Sochi, Russia ??
Must be quite an adventure ??

Best Regards,
V.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckr View Post
we signed up for MarineTracker and are in the data base as Soul Mates (2 words) some ports pick us up some do not - our last was arrival in Samsun but when we left not sure it picked us up -- we hit over 40 ports last year and lot did not have a system to id us --

But the Italians, Albanians, Greeks and now Turks know where we are at all times -- and we do not mind that - there is a certain about assurance that they are watching us -- as we head around the Black Sea (God willing) I but the rest of the countries will know where we are too
Vronsky is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais