Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2020, 08:57   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 33t
alphamarine 3000 with hydraulic ram upgrade to what?

ok, i'm starting to admit defeat cause well, it's an old system and I don't think trying to throw money at it is worth it.
I can't tell if it's the "computer" part, the compass, or rudder sensor that's wonky. I found some old support/forum posts from google on what to test for and using those all of them "test" ok according to a voltmeter.
Even when it "works" it's odd at best. Like the dial is never the same but once she starts going straight on a heading like 30 degrees, I had to dial 90 one time, then 200 degrees the next. After a while it'll sometimes either drift slowly off course, or suddenly just go in a little circle. While motoring in open water not terrible, but if sailing, a surprise circle does bad things to sails/booms/etc.
The frugal in me wants to reuse/save as much as possible.
But I don't want to get an auto pilot that's rubbish by spending 1200$ when i could spend 2000 or so and get one that works way better.
I do have Garmin electronics currently, (but no working wind gauge at the moment) so thinking of leaning that way.
I guess it would be something like this?
https://www.thegpsstore.com/Garmin-G...ack-P4485.aspx
Then probably need to add a new rudder sensor? and it should tie into current drive?
I'm pretty sure she's too heavy to use this style, https://www.thegpsstore.com/Raymarin...lot-P4115.aspx
(Hans Christian 33t, which from online weighs anywhere from 19k to 26k. I need to ask next time I'm hauled out for curiosity)

Are there any "don't get garmin autopilots" type things? easy and lazy is the goal here. I mean, that's the whole point of an autopilot right?
I'm not trying to race etc, just want to say "go that way" and have it well, go that way.
hscrugby is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine