Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2006, 20:00   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Ummm, if you don't mind me suggesting. Have you checked both repeater and main unit are both reading the same as in Nm, Knts or Kms. Km's, is darn near exactly half knts. So if the main unit is saying 10 knts, the repeater will only be displaying a figure of 5 km/hr.
Their Navbuss is a great communication tool. I can't see it being the problem. It works better than NMEA and is simple. All data is shared on the Buss. Each instrument takes what Data it requires from the Buss. NMEA is much more complex and less reliable. But it is an industry standard that allows differing makes of electronics be able to communicate with one another.
I will see if I can do some home work for you and come up with suggestions. I do believe in this product. I am sorry you have had issues right out of the box. I just hope that the new owners are easy to deal with. Newbrunswick is the new owner and they are rather big. Which means it is not so easy to talk to the "techy out back" anymore.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2006, 20:26   #17
Bob Norson

My nav man gps tracker.. 500model I think.. died the day after I finally tossed my 1991 model trimble gps. It now drops out cover. Just won't keep a fix. Have gone over all wiring and repositioned the antenae.. everything I could think of and no help. It's about 3 years old. I loved the way it worked when it was alive and reliable. fast to get a fix and nice big screen for blind boy here. Hated the manual... change waypoint??? how about looking for "changing a numeric value within a data field." who writes these things!?

I have talked to dealers and several boaties about nav man and the reputation is one of good price but....

Cheers
Old 30-04-2006, 07:24   #18

Wheels,

I asked the tech the question about units and he responded that you can only set units in the multi, that the repeater was just supposed to repeat whatever number/unit is on the multi. This is confirmed in the manual.
I am more suspecting that one of the units may have been in simulate mode, but then, why was the depth accurately repeated?
And the manual is not clear about whether the repeat is supposed to reproduce the values of a multi in sim mode or not.

I really appreciate you trying to help understand the problem.

The support tech I talked to was easy to get access to, but was really not knowledgeable about the product.

Cheers,
Old 11-05-2006, 16:47   #19

Update:

The Navman sped/depth and repeater are working. I think the problem was that one of them was in simulation mode.
We did a new test of the speedo: it gives the same speed as the Raymarine and is accurately reproduced on the 3100 repeater: so that's good.

For the wind, our dealer has been outstanding and I very highly recommend them for price, knowledge, service, efficiency: http://ultimatepassage.com/cgi-bin/up/index.html

The Navman was dead out of the box, they had no spare in stock, Navman is not shipping any until July! ... But they had finally received the Raymarine ones and they shipped us one immediately overnight (for a minimum price increase), together with the UPS shipping tag for the Navman return.
We just finished installing the wind transducer and everything now works!

Cheers
Old 14-05-2006, 00:01   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Great to hear. Yeeup, As I said, it's the back up that's the most important. You would buy just about anything as long as you know they will back you up with the service and knowledge.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raymarine