Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2021, 23:00   #1

Boat: Roberts 57 Schooner
Alternatives to Actisense EMU-1

I have been using the EMU-1 for over 5 years and in that time, I believe there have only been a 2 or 3 firmware releases, definitely less than 5. And each release has been, for me at least, a rather underwhelming minor set of bug fixes and maybe a very minor functionality addition.

I have submitted several feature requests that would make the EMU-1 hugely more powerful and all in line with the device purpose. Being an experienced software engineer myself, I am certain these are the types of improvements that could be implemented in a few days including testing, but nothing ever seems to happen.

As much as I did like the device, I am now thinking it's time to stop waiting and move on. Can anyone recommend any alternatives with more active development happening? Even better, open source so I can just write my own features?
pwillems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2021, 19:18   #2

Boat: 50' aluminium power cat
Re: Alternatives to Actisense EMU-1

The usual comparisons are the Chetco Seaguage and the Noland RS11. Secondhand, it seems the RS11 is still ok, but I don't know about active devt. The Chetco support is reportedly getting a little worse.
Maybe the OSS SignalK community is one that can help more?
mcarthur is offline   Reply With Quote