Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-06-2015, 22:18   #46
Formerly: Capt Wraun

Boat: Corbin39 CC Cutter Rig
Re: Alternatives to Certain Maretron Gear?

Fair enough Mark but I must respectfully point out that there is a massive difference between a $10 air filter and $2000 electronics system. But enough of that.
I suspected that the STW is a calibration issue but haven't been able to calibrate it because I'm not using a USB100 to connect via N2K Analyzer.
I have tried N2K Analyzer and the Actisense NMEA Reader Tool running under WINE on my Mac but have had no luck. I will see if I can borrow a friends Windows laptop to get the bugs worked out.
I have been through the network installation from masthead to sounder looking for bad connections but haven't found anything. Network trouble shooting is definitely needed.

Thanks for that and cheers
Old 09-06-2015, 00:46   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Rondo Normal View Post
Fair enough Mark but I must respectfully point out that there is a massive difference between a $10 air filter and $2000 electronics system. But enough of that.
I suspected that the STW is a calibration issue but haven't been able to calibrate it because I'm not using a USB100 to connect via N2K Analyzer.
I have tried N2K Analyzer and the Actisense NMEA Reader Tool running under WINE on my Mac but have had no luck. I will see if I can borrow a friends Windows laptop to get the bugs worked out.
I have been through the network installation from masthead to sounder looking for bad connections but haven't found anything. Network trouble shooting is definitely needed.

Thanks for that and cheers
Just create a temporary micro network with terminators, power supply, and no devices except the transducer and one display. That will eliminate networking problems.

Make sure you don't have an instance number problem -- give the transducer a unique instance number. Far fetched, but this causes all sorts of weird problems.

I don't know what kind of MFD you have, but my B&G ones will set offsets for any kind of STW or depth transducers. I would bet that any modern MFD will do the same. Other calibration should not be needed.

I agree with Mark that this is not the dealer's fault.

It is a shame, though, that you can't calibrate the SSC200 without a Maretron bridge or display. It is otherwise with the Airmar H2183 -- you can calibrate it just by switching it on and going in circles within a certain time. You can use the free Weathercaster program using any nonproprietary USB bridge also.
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 05:32   #48

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

It is a shame, though, that you can't calibrate the SSC200 without a Maretron bridge or display.
I do think it is the dealer's fault. I don't think it is Maretron's fault.

You can calibrate the SSC200 by turning it on and doing circles within a certain time without any bridge or display.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2015, 09:16   #49

Quote:
Just create a temporary micro network with terminators, power supply, and no devices except the transducer and one display. That will eliminate networking problems.

Make sure you don't have an instance number problem -- give the transducer a unique instance number. Far fetched, but this causes all sorts of weird problems.

I don't know what kind of MFD you have, but my B&G ones will set offsets for any kind of STW or depth transducers. I would bet that any modern MFD will do the same. Other calibration should not be needed.

It is a shame, though, that you can't calibrate the SSC200 without a Maretron bridge or display. It is otherwise with the Airmar H2183 -- you can calibrate it just by switching it on and going in circles within a certain time. You can use the free Weathercaster program using any nonproprietary USB bridge also.
Sorry what are you referring to? I'm not familiar with the abbreviation MFD.
Old 09-06-2015, 09:56   #50

MFD = multi function display, like a chart plotter or a Triton T41 or a Raymarine i70.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 09-06-2015, 10:59   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I do think it is the dealer's fault. I don't think it is Maretron's fault.

You can calibrate the SSC200 by turning it on and doing circles within a certain time without any bridge or display.

Mark
I agree about the fault -- typo.

I read the SSC200 and didn't see this procedure, which happens to be the same one used for the Airmar compasses. If the SSC200 can be calibrated this way, then what is the problem for the OP? Are you sure this is possible?
Old 09-06-2015, 12:15   #52

Quote:
I read the SSC200 and didn't see this procedure, which happens to be the same one used for the Airmar compasses. If the SSC200 can be calibrated this way, then what is the problem for the OP? Are you sure this is possible?
Page 11 in the user manual: "Automatic power-up deviation calibration is accomplished by turning the vessel through four complete circles within 10 minutes of power-up."

In fact, I can't find any part of the setup of that compass that can't be done either manually or through a NMEA0183 interface. It doesn't seem to require any further Maretron gear to setup or operate.

Mark

Old 09-06-2015, 18:42   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post

or you can use Maretron's N2Kanalyzer software (PC only, but you can borrow one or run a virtual machine on your Mac). Since you have an NGW-1, you can also calibrate them using Actisense's software (I forget the name of it).

Mark
Well I finally got the Actisense NMEA Reader software to work but don't see any offset option for the speed. There is one for the water depth but no way that I see to change it.
I've taken the water temp with an analog thermometer at about the same depth as the dst110 and it is reading 2 deg warm.

So it looks like if this stuff is ever going to work my best option is to by a mfd in order to calibrate.
Old 10-06-2015, 00:47   #54

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Well I finally got the Actisense NMEA Reader software to work but don't see any offset option for the speed. There is one for the water depth but no way that I see to change it.
I've taken the water temp with an analog thermometer at about the same depth as the dst110 and it is reading 2 deg warm.

So it looks like if this stuff is ever going to work my best option is to by a mfd in order to calibrate.
Setting depth and speed offsets are network functions, not transducer calibration per se. You should be able to set them using any MFD.

On my Zeus it's Settings > Network > Calibration, then you get a choice of Boat Speed, Sea Temperature Offset, Air Temperature Offset, Baro Pressure Offset, and Depth Offset. These settings are not specific to the type or maker of transducer. The network gets a boat speed PNG, for example, and the MFD applies the offset you have set.

How these offsets are applied over the network (is there a "speed offset" or a "depth offset" PNG?) I don't know, but I do know that once set, all devices in the network will display the value with the offset applied.

Maybe you're looking in the wrong place for this.

I would be dollars to doughnuts that you've got the same choices, somewhere, on whatever kind of MFD you have.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:21   #55

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

"In fact, I can't find any part of the setup of that compass that can't be done either manually or through a NMEA0183 interface. It doesn't seem to require any further Maretron gear to setup or operate."

I don't recall inferring that you couldn't configure the SSC200 without a maretron mfd, just that it was "clunky" without.

The power up deviation calibration, with the affirmation of 0,90,180,270,hdg for 2 secs is the only thing that is relatively simple, the rest you need a manual in one hand and be a terminal fanboy/girl to get it done, and be a glutton for cruel & unusual punishment to want do it twice.
I did it once WITHOUT a RS232 to RS422 level convertor, just a jerry wiring suggestion in the back of the manual.
It did work, (and I did avoid the ground loop.) But that was in the warmth an well lit comfort of my office. I would not try it at sea.
Time to evolve.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 03:53   #56

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42

Quote:
Yes you are absolutely right, the responsibility lies with the dealer. Didn't I just say that?
Anyway, when the dealer screws a customer over, it would be wise for them to try to alleviate the situation in one way or another. Many other companies do value their end-users. Maretron does not.
If you are happy with your Maretron gear, great but you defending them when you clearly did not have the first-hand experience that I had is akin to them defending their dealer in spite of the screw-over that I was getting.
And in retrospect, maybe the USB100 would have worked if the N2K View was actually a free download. I don't know because their salesman, who was described by management at Maretron as being "well versed in our line of products" insisted that I should either go with the IPG100 (twice the price and not otherwise needed) or the Actisense NGT-1, which was $50.00 cheaper.
Btw, I did point out to him that N2K View was in "Demo Mode" and asked how to get it out of Demo Mode, as there is no way to buy online and download or unlock the application. He didn't know and insisted that it should work the way it was. Probably because he didn't have it in stock, probably because he didn't know that he should order it. ("Well versed" eh?) Now that I have an Actisense gateway, it definitely won't work because it will only recognize one of Maretron's own gateways.
This all took place between April of 2014 and January 2015 when I finally ceased communication with both Maretron and Global Marine.

As far as the DST110 goes, right from the get go, the depth has read correctly most of the time but but will read 4.0' or 3.9' for a while regardless of the actual depth. The STW is always aproximately 2kn higher than SOG (in slack water). The water temp is a constant 20 deg. C. (I wish! This is the Pacific Northwest for Christ sake.) It never gets to 20 deg. C.. Like I said before
I will use it until the boat comes out of the water and then out it comes.
I feel your pain.

A few things I have figured out since installing my Maretron system last year:

I wanted it mainly for the DST110, SSC200 and the WSO 100.
The SSC works better with my COmNav autopilot than the fluxgate compass.

I have been happy with the results, BUT a few caveats and points of irritation:

1. N2K View is not free. It used to be and many websites still reflect that, but the license costs >$800. Then that license USB is plugged into the IPG100. Had I known this from the beginning, I probably would not have even started.

2. I needed BOTH the IPG100 and the USB 100 to talk to the PC and Coastal Explorer respectively.

3. I still have been unable to calibrate the speed wheel in the DST100. I will probably have to get the DSM to do it, as the virtual DSM will not.

4. The temp Calibrations on the DST for water temp needs an offset of about 200 degrees. Maybe it measures in Kelvin?
Dauntlessny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 06:21   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post
2. I needed BOTH the IPG100 and the USB 100 to talk to the PC and Coastal Explorer respectively.

3. I still have been unable to calibrate the speed wheel in the DST100. I will probably have to get the DSM to do it, as the virtual DSM will not.

4. The temp Calibrations on the DST for water temp needs an offset of about 200 degrees. Maybe it measures in Kelvin?
2. Why is this? We use the USB100 to put all the network data onto Coastal Explorer with no problem - wind, speed, depth, AIS, even controlling the AP. We don't have the IPG100, and I can't think of any reason that would be necessary. Likewise, it works fine alone with all other PC programs and connections.

3. We don't have the DST, but do have the separate Airmar speed and depth transducers. The virtual DSM has no problem calibrating the speed and depth of them. I wonder what makes the DST different, since it is made by Airmar and uses the same PGN's as their separate units.

4. Both our speed and depth transducers have temp capabilities. The temp on the speed needed only a couple of degrees offset to match actual temp. The temp on the depth is off by 200 degrees like yours, and cannot be calibrated that much. I assumed that this was just bad out of the factory, but didn't want to pull it out and send it back because we had an alternate one that worked fine.

Mark

Old 10-06-2015, 06:48   #58

Quote:
Setting depth and speed offsets are network functions, not transducer calibration per se. You should be able to set them using any MFD.

I would be dollars to doughnuts that you've got the same choices, somewhere, on whatever kind of MFD you have.
Yeah actually I'm using NMEA Reader from Actisense for access from my Actisense NGT-1. The only value I've been able to change have been the Device Instance numbers.
Only time will tell if that made any difference.

Thanks everyone.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:24   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauntlessny View Post
I feel your pain.

A few things I have figured out since installing my Maretron system last year:

I wanted it mainly for the DST110, SSC200 and the WSO 100.
The SSC works better with my COmNav autopilot than the fluxgate compass.

I have been happy with the results, BUT a few caveats and points of irritation:

1. N2K View is not free. It used to be and many websites still reflect that, but the license costs >$800.

And for me it was the wso100 that was the attraction. Ironically, that $1k piece of gear has turned out to give me nothing more than AWA and AWS. At least at this point.
The cost for the N2K View is now $995 USD. In CAD now would be $1216
Add to that the difficulty (or inability) to calibrate without a DSM (another $1k) and it gets absolutely ridiculous.
And while viewing the data via NMEA Reader I did see that the temp was given in both Kelvin and Celsius.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:38   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
And for me it was the wso100 that was the attraction. Ironically, that $1k piece of gear has turned out to give me nothing more than AWA and AWS. At least at this point.
The cost for the N2K View is now $995 USD. In CAD now would be $1216
Add to that the difficulty (or inability) to calibrate without a DSM (another $1k) and it gets absolutely ridiculous.
And while viewing the data via NMEA Reader I did see that the temp was given in both Kelvin and Celsius.
You will get barometric pressure and outside temp from the WSO100, but that's the only other data other than AWA and AWS. What else were you expecting? TWS and TWA, Ground Wind, and all the derived wind data is produced by the MFD, not in the transducer.

I love my WSO100, which has turned out to be an absolutely superior wind instrument. I paid, I think, $600 for it from Defender, which is hardly more than a regular mechanical wind instrument would have cost. It did not require any calibration of any kind. I do have the DSM250, and one of the things I use it for is the lovely Maretron weather screen which shows Ground Wind speed and direction, barograph, inside and outside temp, moon phase, time, etc.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman

Tags
gear