Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2014, 09:15   #1

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Alternator help

I recently decided to replace my current Hitachi alternators on my Yanmar 3jh3ce's as the bearings are getting a bit noisy (almost 3000 hours). I ordered an aftermarket alternator from World Power Systems. They advertised the unit as a direct replacement with an insulated ground. I took this to be the equivalent of the Hitachi Isolated Ground. The installation instructions say just attach the wires to the same terminals on the rear of the new alternator as on the old one. Here lies the problem. The new alternator does not have an E (ground) terminal. It has a threaded hole labled E but no insulated stud as on the original. The new alternator has an external wire not on the original which I assuming for the moment is the "insulated ground" wire. Does anyone have any experience with this brand of alternator? I can call technical support tomorrow at 11 est but I was hoping to get the thing installed this weekend. I'm reluctant to move forward blindly. I'm guessing that I don't want to just get a ground screw and attach the ground to the case E hole as that would not be isolated and the internal ground connections are probably not connected to it anyway. I was thinking that I might get a nylon stud and connect stack the harness ground connections on it along with the external wire (ground?). Can any of you alternator wizards tell me if I'm on the right track or am I about to blow up my new alternator?
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 14:23   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Alternator help

I screwed up and put this in the electronics forum, but It should have been in the Electrical forum.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator