Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2020, 08:28   #1

Boat: Mumby 48
Antenna extender

My boat came with an uninstalled HF antenna, lengthened using a nicopress fitting. Is that reasonable? Can I do another to make it longer? It's 1/8" wire rope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Extender.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	229323  
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2020, 09:25   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Antenna extender

You might check it with your ohm meter just to be sure. It does appear to be a copper sleeve. Given the wide variety of stuff people use as antenna wire, and even the wide variety you'll get if you order a made-up antenna on the internet, I don't imagine you'll have a problem. But then, 1/8" SS wire rope is not expensive.

The bigger questions will be in getting to it from your HF radio.
Old 25-12-2020, 12:18   #3

Boat: Lancer 27PS

If this antenna is not part of a load bearing shroud, then just take it off and put up another. As mentioned by tkeithlu, 1/8" SS wire rope is very cheap. However, If you must insist on extending (and I don't know why you want to do that) then any extension should be shrink wrapped to keep it protected.

So maybe a little more info might help us understand. Is it load bearing (backstay, shroud) or freely hoisted by a spare halyard? Radio and tuner type? What is it you desire to do with your HF SSB? How long is the present antenna?
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 02:44   #4

Boat: Mumby 48

Thanks for the response. It's not a load bearing wire. Just an antenna the previous owner made. I've never seen a mast support wire "butt spliced" with one nicopress sleeve, but I haven't seen everything, yet. This wire is 33' long and I'd like to get at least 43' for my antenna. Somebody told me that would be much better. I'm overseas and rigging wire has to be shipped in. I haven't priced it but I'm guessing double. Maybe I'm being cheap. But I'm just setting up my radio. If I get a piece that I can use as a lifeline after I experiment that makes a little sense to me. Then, assuming all goes well, I can replace it with the Cadillac (or Lamborghini) version - one piece. If there's a fundamental reason why this won't give a satisfactory result, that's what I'd like someone to point out. Then I'll buy the Lamborghini.
Epicurean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 03:05   #5

Boat: Nordic 44

You can use any copper wire that is strong enough to support it's own weight. Nothing special about an end fed antenna. Just have a good electrical connection at the antenna tuner.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 08:07   #6

Boat: Lancer 27PS

Agree with stormalong. However, lifeline, or wire rope, is much preferred over copper wire. It will stand up to the elements better. But if your needs are so great now, then you can install and replace once you get to a port where the material is readily available at a reasonable cost. Even if you elect to extend what you have, you might consider replacement, again, when you get to a port that the material is available.

Now you mentioned, and I also, lifeline. Is that available for a reasonable cost? If so, go for it. With regards to copper wire, 1/8" lifeline or wire rope is equal to 8awg (10swg/3.15mm). 1\16" wire rope (lifeline) is equal to 14awg (16swg/1.6mm).

Insulated will add weight, but will also protect the copper wire. However, it will not stand up to the elements and you may find remnants of insulation on your deck. But some protection is better than none. So, if possible, the choice would be wirerope (lifeline). Wirerope insulation is better than copper wire insulation.

One more option, go to an airport hanger where they are maintaining aircraft. Ask the maintenance crew if they have any aviation control lines that are being replaced. Those lines are wirerope and you might be able to buy some used material at a very reasonable cost. Just make sure it is not frayed. 13 meters should be easy to get I would think.

JMHO
Brian.D is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna, tender