Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 06:29   #61

Boat: 48 Privilege - Full Monty
Thanks to Bob, we have running his system on our Mac for 2 years now. Have had great range with his system.

Wil
Surf City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 10:29   #62

Boat: Farrier, F9AX, rotating rig
Hey surf city, what system is that exactly?
pjazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 19:05   #63

Boat: 48 Privilege - Full Monty
Hey pjazz,

Check out his website a www.islandtimepc.com - Bob has all the specs there.

Wil
Surf City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 15:49   #64
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
What is it about people who 'get' radio stuff, such as wifi antennae, SSB and HAM, that they have to default to 'jargon mode' when asked a question?
Note to you guys: most of us DON'T GET IT and none of us want to hear it - we hate being reminded how stupid about this stuff we are. I'm one of those btw. When I ask a question about this stuff, I don't want the technicalities. I want a solution. I don't care if it's 337.578 gigadoofuses connecting to a hi speed dingbat - a brand name and model that do the job are all I need.
End of rant.
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 16:20   #65
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor
What is it about people who 'get' radio stuff, such as wifi antennae, SSB and HAM, that they have to default to 'jargon mode' when asked a question?
Note to you guys: most of us DON'T GET IT and none of us want to hear it - we hate being reminded how stupid about this stuff we are. I'm one of those btw. When I ask a question about this stuff, I don't want the technicalities. I want a solution. I don't care if it's 337.578 gigadoofuses connecting to a hi speed dingbat - a brand name and model that do the job are all I need.
End of rant.
Well then pay somebody , don't come on here making demands. If your too dumb to understand it you shouldn't have it in the first place sheesh
Dave
Old 21-01-2011, 16:56   #66

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucksailor View Post
End of rant.
Well, if you ask a specific question, I'm sure some of us here will try to explain it in a way you will understand. If not, just say so and we will try again.

But to jump into a thread and start complaining out of context isn't very useful or productive. There is the possibility that the answers given to the original poster were at an appropriate level for them.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 18:41   #67
cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
" If your too dumb to understand it you shouldn't have it in the first place..."

Most of us don't understand our computers and for sure, I don't understand refrigeration, but I have that too. My point is, and I didn't mean to offend anyone with my remarks, most of us don't have the background or mindset to understand what seems to come so simply to you radio guys.
When it comes to this sort of thing, all most of us really want is a solution - not how or why it works.
Pretty please?
Old 21-01-2011, 19:32   #68
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

''When it comes to this sort of thing, all most of us really want is a solution - not how or why it works.
Pretty please?"

Reminds me of the old Monty Python skit about "Argument? Oh, no, this is Abuse, Argument is down the hall to the left" or some such.

If all you want is easy, that's called a TELEPHONE. Iridium, Globalsat, InMar...plenty of choices, just pay your money and buy batteries.

Although, as Apple has proved, customers may be even happier when they aren't bothered with batteries, either.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2011, 19:51   #69
cruiser

That was one of the classic Monty Python skits, loved it. btw, I AM an Apple user, have been since the 80s. Reason: when I bought my original Mac Plus, the WYSIWYG OS meant you didn't have to spend huge amounts of time learning computer language. You provided input, and you got a result, without having to fuss over all the stuff that goes on inside the damn thing. Turns out Bill Gates thought that was a good idea as well.
Understanding the mechanics is fine for those who enjoy it, but I and lots of others don't - mostly because we find it incomprehensible, or simply beyond the amount of time we're willing to spend to learn it.
I have taught writing, sailing, swimming and skiing. Lesson number one was always to keep it simple, avoid jargon as much as possible and focus on the end result for the student's sake. So you don't have to know Bernoulli's principle, or anything about the Venture effect to sail well, as long as you know how to read the telltales. That's simple. And you don't have to understand fluid dynamics to be an Olympic swimmer.
Well - I don't want to be an electronics tech just to be able to get a decent signal on my wireless.
Old 22-01-2011, 05:28   #70

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
So what is your question?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 06:45   #71
cruiser

No question Mark. I was reading this thread as I am looking for a wifi antennae, thought this thread could help me and realized that I simply couldn't understand a lot of the posts here. It reminded me of online discussions I've had with ham guys. On one occasion, I actually said something like 'I am really really stupid about this subject. Please explain at a level that I can understand'.
It was like waving a red flag in front of a bull - it was like I insulted THEM because I was the stupid one. Some of us just need to hear 'you put the square peg in the square hole', nothing more.
Old 22-01-2011, 07:01   #72
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
canuck

the link to islandtime pc is where you should go. Bob will help you. But understand, it can only be dumbed down so much. You will need to learn some tech stuff like RJ45 connectors, etc. Bring your level up a little bit and Bob can meet you there. Good support.
gettinthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 07:22   #73

Boat: Westsail 28
Canuck:
I use one of these on my Mac and it works great. Just remember to turn off Airport when using the external antenna.
Alfa AWUS036H 1000mW USB Wireless WiFi Adapter + Antenna. Long-Range. Upgrade from 500mW
Bought mine from Amazon.
-Steve
syoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 07:34   #74

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
I used a Ubiquiti Picostation II last summer and it worked great. My wife had to fiddle some with the software to get it to work. There: is that jargon enough for you?

And in U.S. coastal waters, I got on the internet by "tethering" through my cellphone with PDA Net software.

I agree with you about the jargon overload on some of these threads. And I hold an Amateur Extra ham license, by the way .
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2011, 07:35   #75
cruiser

you will need to learn some tech stuff like RJ45 connectors, etc.

thanks gettinthere - I'm ok with the learning, it just has to be done slowly. btw, I actually do know what an RJ45 connector is, and how to solder one to my coax. There may be hope for me <g>
syoder, you're my kinda guy - I'll check that link!

Tags
antenna