Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2020, 08:43   #16

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham
Re: Anyone install their own electronics package?

??? well who else would do it. With everything from the same company there are no networking complications so it should be a simple 'plug and play' job.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 09:05   #17

Boat: Chris White Voyager 48

Maretron has an N2K configurator that you can download:
https://www.maretron.com/products/N2KBuilder.php
Old 23-11-2020, 09:07   #18

Boat: Hylas 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Anthony View Post
Ahoy, The word "drop" has been used in this thread. Will someone define "drop" as used herein? Thank you very much.
Being the newbie I am (electronic's) that is.....drop, is a drop down cable i.e. instrument guage using a drop down cable connected to the back bone. I suppose even a mast head wind sensor drops to the back bone. Correct me if I'm wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
These are all easy to connect and make work, however running wires NEATLY and well supported takes a considerable amount of time. This is where the price gets lumpy.
I see, regarding neatly & supported. Well, as anal as I am....I'll have no problem in that department.
Old 23-11-2020, 09:11   #19

Boat: DownEaster 38

Yes, you can! I did it with a B&G system for my DownEaster 38. I did have a boat yard install the mast-head wind device and run the cable inside the mast while it was on the ground. They also fitted the water depth/speed device in the through hull, but all the hook up I did my self. I found the Maretron website and their N2K Network builder software a great help in planning the network before buying all the bits and pieces. https://www.maretron.com/products/N2KBuilder.php
Their cables and connectors are superior to a lot of stuff on the market so I used their cables for the backbone and most of the drops. It's actually fun and very satisfying when it's all done.
bobmcd625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 09:11   #20

Boat: Beneteau 361, 36

It was said here that the hardest part is pulling the wires and cables, I agree.
If you have old component wiring or cabling you may be able to pull the new in as you pull the old out.
I had a TV cable that PO had pulled to behind the main panel. I had no use for that, and used it to pull new stuff through. Dont forget to leave a spare messenger line in there for future use.
Gripfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 09:29   #21

I installed the Simrad version of this same system. As Gripfast states, it's logistically getting the wires right. I had a 25-year old Furuno radar that the cabling and wiring was a LOT bigger.

I did have a DOA connection block from Simrad that was incredibly difficult to troubleshoot as I was convinced I must have pinched a cable or something. Were it not for that, would have been simple.

Peter
mvweebles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 09:36   #22

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

You can install everything yourself. Study the installation manual and follow the setup procedures and everything will be fine.
I installed complete Simrad autopilot package, Simrad radar, NMEA2000-Seatalk interface, Brookhouse iMux WiFi etc.
Take your time, it is the first time you do it. A professional installer does this routinely, but he has more time pressure then you and me.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 09:50   #23

Boat: Island Packet 45
Send a message via Skype™ to basenay

Sounds like you have enough basic knowledge to do it. Take your time with it. If you need further incentive get a quote from a marine engineer which should give you plenty. Before we sold my wife's Flicka with state of the art electronics, we got a quote to move my old electronics to her boat and hers to mine. Seven thousand USA dollars with more for a rigger to exchange the radars with cancelled that idea and did it ourselves in 2 weekends for less than $100. Suppose we could have gotten a second quote but seemed unlikely would be different enough to change our plans. Ten plus years of cruising outside USA, later glad we did it ourselves as adding new electronics or troubleshooting is much easier.
basenay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 10:25   #24

Boat: O’Day 40

The worst part of my install had little to do with the actual electronics and more to do with drilling & routing new cables & connectors up thru a new pedestal guard. Otherwise pretty easy.
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 10:50   #25

Boat: Island Packet 420

Last year I installed a full B&G package myself. I am no electrician- it is really very easy to do. However, I did plan it out carefully and drew it first to make sure I ordered the appropriate sized wires and correct number of connectors. Figure out where everything is going to go, measure your wire runs, and calculate the connectors you will need. It is just plug and play.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 11:07   #26

Boat: Meridian 38

Have Simrad NSS, 3g radar, ais/vhf, autopilot

All self-installed after finding out labor would exceed component cost.

Nmea 2k is easy once you know the rules.
1. Backbone= as long as you want
2. Drops max length = 6m (rudder sensor was farther from NAC2 than this)

You will need longer cables than you estimate

Radar was most difficult to calibrate. All else was auto-recognized and easy.
mvmorningstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 13:09   #27

Boat: Contrast 33

Are you putting in a wired masthead wind transducer, or B&G's new-ish wireless version? I'm intrigued by the wireless one as there's no need to feed a cable down the mast.
Peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 13:21   #28

Like the carpenter's (or rigger, sailmaker, surgeon) rule of thumb - measure twice (or more), cut once. The obvious - plan, plan, plan. When drilling/cutting through panels, bulkheads, etc check what is behind first. Frustrating the number of times an electrical/electronic problem was caused by a screw in the wrong place.
notiesbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 13:34   #29

Boat: Pearson 10M

yes, installed B&G Zeus, Triton, depth, speed and wind.
Installed Raymarine ev100.
made N2k adaptor cable to hook up network backbone. Recently i've seen adaptor cables.
N2K makes it easy.
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2020, 13:35   #30

Boat: Hylas 46

Members, thanks heaps for your input! Much appreciated for sure! I have looked into the Maretron site and downloaded their program. I don't know, off hand, it looks like it would take too much time trying to figure out their program? Advise???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvmorningstar View Post
Have Simrad NSS, 3g radar, ais/vhf, autopilot

All self-installed after finding out labor would exceed component cost.

Nmea 2k is easy once you know the rules.
1. Backbone= as long as you want
2. Drops max length = 6m (rudder sensor was farther from NAC2 than this)

You will need longer cables than you estimate

Radar was most difficult to calibrate. All else was auto-recognized and easy.
I can relate to the installation labor. That is crazy money....money I could guide in other directions, namely Corona beer & Rum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peel View Post
Are you putting in a wired masthead wind transducer, or B&G's new-ish wireless version? I'm intrigued by the wireless one as there's no need to feed a cable down the mast.
No.... no wireless. I've had enough trouble with Wifi with regard to my printers and the likes to not go down that road. I stuck with the Hard wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notiesbob View Post
Like the carpenter's (or rigger, sailmaker, surgeon) rule of thumb - measure twice (or more), cut once. The obvious - plan, plan, plan. When drilling/cutting through panels, bulkheads, etc check what is behind first. Frustrating the number of times an electrical/electronic problem was caused by a screw in the wrong place.
Exactly....by trade, I'm a Tile Contractor, so learned a long time ago, measure twice, cut once! Don't ask me how I know!

Tags
electronics