Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2020, 16:14   #46

Boat: 8.5m Fast Sailing Cat, 7.5m McLay Aluminium HT
Re: Anyone install their own electronics package?

I installed a Simrad go 12 NMEA 2000 package to replace a Furuno Navnet system about a year ago mostly plug and play as others have noted. I think the hardest was trying to lay out the new holes in the dash so I had minimal repair work. That and ripping out all the old gear and wiring took most of the time. I don't have the radar yet or auto pilot but don't think they would be all that hard

I did get the local boat shop to integrate to integrate the suzuki NMEA 2000 guages to the GO12 but I don't think on reflection even that was too hard. But hardest is tuning it all,ie making sure it all actually does what you think it should. Some of that is software bugs from the manufacturer like not being able to configure the fuel efficiency or use the chart recording without tearing your hair out, and some is coming up with a better config like getting what you like on the screen and using a new sonar. All this just takes time once it's up and running.

Do make sure your NMEA2000 bus is in one plane with no stress on the T connectors, it does help to use one type as they are often different thicknesses even from one manufacturer (on the box anyway!) And this will cause intermittent problems when it's rough... when you most need reliable electronics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept-windy View Post
Howdy members.... I basically purchased a full B&G electronic package i.e.
Zeus3 S Chartplotter
Halo20+ radar
Auto pilot
Triton displays
3D fishfinder sonar
Forward sonar
ect.

Has anyone installed their own packages? Am I out of my league?
I'm a hands on guy.... I'm not an electrician by far, but, I can use an multitester. I've been pooring over all installation manuals, but sometimes I'm feel a tad overwelmed? Advise.

Thanks
Don
Windswept H46

My thought is....if I'm able to install....I will always know (cruising) where all is.
mdenize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 19:01   #47

Yup, not the same suite, but just take your time, spend more time planning than cutting or screwing, if you have a question call the OEM, take your time
SalingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2020, 19:41   #48

Boat: Corbin 39' Pilot House Cutter

A note of caution. I installed a Simrad Evo system with every bell and whistle. I did not realize it until I went to connect the mast mounted wind vane which is the end of line termination point that the polarity was 180 degrees out from the backbone cable. Make sure when you come out of the MFD that the polarity m/F is correct for the direction the cable has to go. I ended up pulling the backbone cable throughout the boat and re threading it. About an hour. But for a 40 year electronics field service tech it was an embarrassing moment to be sure.
Sailorman4009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 01:46   #49

Send a message via Skype™ to wackerb

This thread has gotten kind of long so I apologize if this is a repeat.

Try hooking everything up, one at a time, but run the cables exposed. That way you can fix things easily and have high confidence before putting in all the hard effort hiding the cables.
wackerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2020, 04:08   #50
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Anyone install their own electronics package?

I write software professionally for can bus systems mainly some J1939 but some N2K as well

I would offer the following observations

The “ certification “ of N2k is largely irrelevant , There are so many interoperability gaps in the n2K spec that it’s easy to have a certified node that still doesn’t work well outside its own brand set.

As a result I would always suggest where possible staying within the brand “ family “ for the easiest installs and the best chance of everything working

Given the big four largely cover most bases this isn’t hard.

Once you cross brand families a risk exists , in sone cases it’s significant in others it isn’t

One of the major issues is setup compatibility as it’s an area NMEA walked away from

Note that despite what’s written above , I’ve not found an issue that requires manually address assignment, the 2K address claim protocol is quite effective , there have been issues where identical devices have tried to claim the same address however.

Whether you split your can bus up or not into sub busses is up to you. For most people installing the typical MFD , instruments, AP , it’s unnecessary . No radar I know uses N2K exclusively So typically Radar will have Ethernet style networking these days and increasingly Wi-Fi

Whether you extend N2 into engine monitoring or digital switching and what exact cabling strategy largely depends on the extent of the system and the level of reliance you place on it. N2K engine monitoring of big expensive diesels without any local gauges is completely different to N2k monitoring of a MD2020 alongside the conventional Volvo panel

As in everything it’s horses for courses

If you decide to go down the road of multi brand N2k especially with duplicate sources , you can run into issues like source select, failover and setup incompatibility

Sadly while N2K did many things right it left out things too.
Old 28-11-2020, 05:12   #51

Boat: Farr 40 (Racing), Contest 43 (Cruising)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept-windy View Post
Howdy members.... I basically purchased a full B&G electronic package i.e.
Zeus3 S Chartplotter
Halo20+ radar
Auto pilot
Triton displays
3D fishfinder sonar
Forward sonar
ect.

Has anyone installed their own packages? Am I out of my league?
I'm a hands on guy.... I'm not an electrician by far, but, I can use an multitester. I've been pooring over all installation manuals, but sometimes I'm feel a tad overwelmed? Advise.

Thanks
Don
Windswept H46

My thought is....if I'm able to install....I will always know (cruising) where all is.
I’ve installed mine (Mostly Raymarine) but it takes time, partly while the boat was in the Caribbean and I had to fly over for the refit. The wiring connections on their own are the easiest part but as you install you constantly find out you need some extra cables, brackets, components etc. and you want good supply sources with a fast delivery.

Also have a friend/family available from time to time, when you need to identify/push/pull cables along the boat, through the mast etc.

Installing the auto-pilot drive unit may need a mechanical work and even fabrication of some special brackets and mounts.

With all the planning, prep, waiting times etc. it can easily take few months to complete so good if the boat is close to home.

Good to keep you busy in the long winter/covid season.

Enjoy!
Old 28-11-2020, 07:27   #52

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I have done all, except the AP. Just takes time

I didn't see boat speed (thru water, typically a paddlewheel) and wind speed on your equipment list. This is for a sailboat? Without those, you cannot get true wind speed, angle and direction.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 02:15   #53

Boat: Southerly 135

I did on my Southerly 135
1) determine where it goes
2) make note what you need at each location (N2K, power, network, other)
3) open all boat, install wiring including intelligent N2K backbone

I do all cables myself, make sure that the back bone cable is in the right direction so the wires in the connectors does not need to be twisted. Reverse the cable where the power comes in
JeanF73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2020, 14:27   #54

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

I did a complete N2K refit with all B&G equipment, except for Vesper AIS. I did it in stages and IMO it is very much DIY, and pretty much plug and play. I have a complete write up and wiring diagram on my blog.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 21:40   #55

Boat: Hylas 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Nmea 2000 is easy to install. Some suggestions:

1- when pulling wire, make sure you pull a "mouse line" along with it so you can pull more wire later if needed.

2- Get a diagram showing the pin configuration of what is what on the Nmea2000 plug.

3- cut a wire and leave the ends free, so you can plug it into the system and get a mulitmeter on the ends.

4- Your radar will give you no end to issues - because of the cable. The wire will have a big plug on each end so you will need to either drill a huge hole (not recommended if you are trying to run the wire through the SS tube of your Navpod. or else you will have to cut the wire and resolder it.

I recently chucked our old Nmea183/Nmea2000 system and install all new raymarine due to a lightning strike. Lots of issues, but managed them all after some frustration.

If you are handy and can use a multimeter you'll get by
Roger and nice blog....btw: if your heading South, pull into Monterey Bay and chat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEC View Post
Yes. Following are some hard earned experiences:

Number 3? Checking for shorts?
  1. NMEA 2000 is a pain in the behind, the promised "plug and play" is an illusion. IME only Furuno instruments are fully 2k compliant.
  2. B&G instruments are not certified 2k compliant. For apparent marketing purposes, Navico B&G products are developed so in a 2k network, they function with all B&G hardware. B&G software doesn't properly parse heading pgn's. So if you have a non-B&G heading sensor, interface it to the B&G computer using 0183.
  3. Purchase a Maretron N2Kmeter; this diagnostic tool is necessary to maintain your 2k network.
  4. Purchase a Maretron USB100 NMEA 2000 gateway and download their N2KView software application. You will need this to configure hardware to have unique instances and network addresses.
  5. If you are making N2k bus backbone cable segments, and need elbow connector on a cable end, purchase Maretron assembled cable with elbow fitting...the Maretron user installed elbow fittings are a pain in the behind .....
  6. Use the Maretron N2K Builder software application to design your network to insure that proper gauge conductors are used to maintain voltage drops are within specification. Position the "power tap tee" so the voltage drops across right and left sides of the tee connector are balanced.
  7. For drop circuits, purchase pre-assembled cables (its not worth the time to install field terminal on every cable IMO.
  8. Dry-fit the cable connectors, use the diagnostic tools to verify there are no transmission errors on the network and all parameters are ok. Then apply a thin coat of dielectric grease on the pins/sockets of each connector. Make sure it is dielectric grease not conductive grease!!!. The reason for this is that the connector pins and sockets are made from brass, which will corrode in a marine environment. Corroded electrical connectors will generate intermittent, and eventually, continuous faults in the network.
  9. Do not install a DC noise filter in the 12v power supplied to the network.
  10. The concept to integrate all instruments in your yacht in one N2k backbone is a myth and therefore not recommended practice. Segregate N2k instruments according to function; ie all navigation and radar instruments on one N2k backbone, tank level sensors, generator and main propulsion engine sensors, battery bank monitors operating on a separate N2k backbone.
I hope you find this information useful.
Very useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by basenay View Post
Peel,
In 2005 replaced non-functioning 20 year old Simrad masthead unit with a wireless unit b/o PIA of running cable thru mast. Less than 2 weeks later unit lost sync and trip up the mast to retreive, resync then back up mast to reinstall. Delayed mast trip up while trying to determine how commonly this was going to be necessary. Fortunately Mother Nature took care of problem was massive lightning strike which wiped out all electronics 5 days later. Insurance paid for replacements but went wired system again with no regrets. Not saying wireless lead to lightning strike but never in 20 years before including circumnavigation or 5 years since but timing is suspect.
I'll be using a wire for the masthead vers Wifi....for this very exact reason. i.e Most of the time I do not have an issue with (WiFi) laptop & printer. Sometimes i do!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Fry View Post
Yes, that is a huge advantage. In the middle of nowhere, it is very nice to have an expert on your particular system (you), when things fail.

This stuff is really very simple other than running wires in awkward places, and keeping them neat. For the most part, you are just ensuring that the positive supply wire goes to the positive input terminal (etc.)... although differences in color coding can confuse things a little. Use good quality wire and terminals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john manning View Post
Do not get overwhelmed. Do it one unit at a time. The real effort goes into the mechanical part (mounting transducers and displays and running leads around the vessel) not the electrical part.

The only serious part of the job will be installing thru-hull transducers if you have any.

Take your time and keep reading the instructions until you can picture the whole installation. Make your own diagram. One related to your vessel.

Electrically just follow the diagrams provided. Double check you have power positive and negative right before connection. Because signals are all networked on Seatalk or NMEA buses these days its hard to get them wrong. Also make sure you power each device separately from the network power. There are devices that will start under network power only but they will not function correctly. Use fuses on each power connection.

This is the general process I use when installing systems commercially.
Looks like I will be able to use two of my existing thru hulls. Pull existing and bed my new ones in their place. I only have to add one transducer = 3D Fishfinder/sonar. Hey, I don' fish? Well what the heck is that electric downrigger doing hanging off the stern?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmgysi View Post
After 6years around World I suggest:
Single self installed units for each function.
Eg cpt autopilot
Windows tablet, cmap (or navionic for smartphone as backup, beside paper charts for harbor approaches) charts, using open cpn. Any depth sounder, etc
You forgot AIS send/receive, a lot more useful and mandatory in Pucket, etc, rather than power hungry radar.
B&G VHF & AIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman4009 View Post
A note of caution. I installed a Simrad Evo system with every bell and whistle. I did not realize it until I went to connect the mast mounted wind vane which is the end of line termination point that the polarity was 180 degrees out from the backbone cable. Make sure when you come out of the MFD that the polarity m/F is correct for the direction the cable has to go. I ended up pulling the backbone cable throughout the boat and re threading it. About an hour. But for a 40 year electronics field service tech it was an embarrassing moment to be sure.
Roger on the polarity

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackerb View Post
This thread has gotten kind of long so I apologize if this is a repeat.

Try hooking everything up, one at a time, but run the cables exposed. That way you can fix things easily and have high confidence before putting in all the hard effort hiding the cables.
Sounds like a great idea! Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailjumanji View Post
I have done all, except the AP. Just takes time

I didn't see boat speed (thru water, typically a paddlewheel) and wind speed on your equipment list. This is for a sailboat? Without those, you cannot get true wind speed, angle and direction.
It was in the (ect Yes, paddlewheel and wind instruments on the masthead (hard wire)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
I did a complete N2K refit with all B&G equipment, except for Vesper AIS. I did it in stages and IMO it is very much DIY, and pretty much plug and play. I have a complete write up and wiring diagram on my blog.
Nice write up....and very nice Blog. I'm sure we will run into you at some point. I'll be watching your positions!

Wow....getting some great feed back here folks. Thank you!! Needless to say, has been a huge confidence builder for sure, and lookn' for the challenge!

At the moment....still hacking away at building a stern arch for solar. Evenings (besides my other duties) I'm reading and drawing wire diagrams! Are we having fun yet? Can't wait to get back out there!!

Fairwinds!!!
Old 01-12-2020, 23:27   #56

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

[QUOTE=Windswept-windy;3286913]Roger and nice blog....btw: if your heading South, pull into Monterey Bay and chat!

Thanks for the compliment on the blog - always nice to hear somebody reads it occasionally.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 15:15   #57

Hi Don - hope you guys are doing well! As always, I'm amazed at your DIY skills on Windswept and have no doubt that you'll be fine! 😉 Looking forward to following/see/hearing the outcome, as this very refit is on my to do list in the next couple of years!

Bob
s/v Phoenix Dawn
rbaker0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2020, 22:50   #58

Boat: Hylas 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbaker0126 View Post
Hi Don - hope you guys are doing well! As always, I'm amazed at your DIY skills on Windswept and have no doubt that you'll be fine! 😉 Looking forward to following/see/hearing the outcome, as this very refit is on my to do list in the next couple of years!

Bob
s/v Phoenix Dawn
Hello Bob, hey, nice hearing from you! Yes, all is fine and hope all is well in your camp!! Thanks for the thumbs up regarding DIY and skills. Well, all I can say is.... the Crew around here has certainly beefed up my confidence big time.

As stated above, my skepticism was hinging on, receiving a few somewhat large proposals 6/8K to install the above electronics. Needless to say, at those proposed numbers... I certainly must be missing something? Yea, my check book! LOL

At the moment, building stern arch ( shanghaied 3x370 watt panels), electronics, standing rigging (Hylas forum) Sails (also this forum)

Will update! best Don

Tags
electronics