Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2018, 07:52   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Anyone using iNavX for iPad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

P.S. These differing issues that is happening with iNavx is adding to my unease with the tool. I get the sense that neither Fugawi nor iNavx really knows where all the issues are, or what the causes are. Fugawi support suggested to me it was the way iNavx manages the charts.
If we get to meet again, and I hope we do, I’d love to chat with you about your issues. FWIW I suspect you are spot on with your assessment. I can’t imagine the complexity of trying to coordinate an app platform using 8 or 12 vendors different data sets and formats.

I did have the same problem you did I think, but it was only one and related to a Navionics format change. I don’t coaim to understand this stuff, just spouting my gut understanding.

I’ve not seen any dangerous Navionics charting problems up here. I did find the Cmap charts more accurate and readable. I DO find the decluttering to be dangerous. There are isolated dangers (“sunkers” in the local dialect) that don’t show up well on my RayMarine Navionics. I do plot a course and “fly” it but if you make some mid-passage change it can be hard to assure you are adequately pre-surveying the route. I’ve had too many incidents where something important was just blanked out on the scale I was using.

On a related note, I’ve not found any big lag/long busts in the areas you are cruising including the Cote Nord above Herrington Harbor. Now on the South coast it is well know there are offsets of up to 1/2 mile. AND there are numerous isolated sunkers/rocks NE of Ramea IIRC.

Enjoy.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 08:15   #47

Boat: Lagoon 40

Yes, I use iNav X with Navionics charts. The main reason I use iNavX is because it pulls in AIS and other data using the wireless network on my Vesper AIS. This is a great feature. So I run my Raymarine chartplotter and iNavX on an iPad Pro in parallel. it takes a bit of getting used to - no real tutorial, but with a few hours of use its pretty simple.
Neil
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:18   #48

Boat: Sabre 426

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
NOT true for me. I’ve all the functionality including quilting.
Forgive my question, but what is "quilting?" I imagine it's some kind of overlaying information. Am I close?
Acadia426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:19   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Thanks, I think you’ve just solved the issue. But I can’t find the location on the INavx app where I can purchase the Raster charts.

I think I’ll just stick with the Time Zero Raster charts already purchased and then download the free set of complete east coast NOAA charts for backup. Already spent too much on the Navionics Platinum+ set for Canada. No more chart purchases this summer.
Have you been able to find the raster charts to download, yet?
Old 05-07-2018, 09:52   #50

Quote:
Yes, a bit of a learning curve there.

INavEx is not perfect, there are quirks. But given what they are attempting to do with the app it’s quite amazing. They are attempting to build an app that supports a WIDE variety of formats so that you can pick and choose which data set/chart supplier you want.

It has ONE HUGE advantage, it lets you use data sets charts from multiple vendors. If you are cruising a limited area then it may not be your best choice. You may have a hardware/software/chart set combination that works well for you.

Because I’ve been moving through various geographic areas and have at least 4 different chart suppliers iNAVEx is perfect for me.
How does one, in fact, know from the list of charts accessible through the iNavX app which charts are which: which are rasters, etc...? Where are they sourced? Whose the manufacturer? I think I'm missing something about finding charts for this app. Thank you.
Old 05-07-2018, 09:54   #51

Quote:
If we get to meet again, and I hope we do, I’d love to chat with you about your issues. FWIW I suspect you are spot on with your assessment. I can’t imagine the complexity of trying to coordinate an app platform using 8 or 12 vendors different data sets and formats.

I did have the same problem you did I think, but it was only one and related to a Navionics format change. I don’t coaim to understand this stuff, just spouting my gut understanding.

I’ve not seen any dangerous Navionics charting problems up here. I did find the Cmap charts more accurate and readable. I DO find the decluttering to be dangerous. There are isolated dangers (“sunkers” in the local dialect) that don’t show up well on my RayMarine Navionics. I do plot a course and “fly” it but if you make some mid-passage change it can be hard to assure you are adequately pre-surveying the route. I’ve had too many incidents where something important was just blanked out on the scale I was using.

On a related note, I’ve not found any big lag/long busts in the areas you are cruising including the Cote Nord above Herrington Harbor. Now on the South coast it is well know there are offsets of up to 1/2 mile. AND there are numerous isolated sunkers/rocks NE of Ramea IIRC.

Enjoy.
Hpeer, so do you use a Raymarine with Navionics and the iNavX as a backup?
Old 05-07-2018, 09:57   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
Yes, I use iNav X with Navionics charts. The main reason I use iNavX is because it pulls in AIS and other data using the wireless network on my Vesper AIS. This is a great feature. So I run my Raymarine chartplotter and iNavX on an iPad Pro in parallel. it takes a bit of getting used to - no real tutorial, but with a few hours of use its pretty simple.
Neil
Thank you for contributing to this thread.

So, you use a hard-wired chart plotter running Navionics charts, and iNavX as a parallel system; the latter being on a mobile device.

I'm new to AIS and just had a VHF installed aboard SV Acadia with AIS. How do I get it to mate-up with the chart plotter and the iNavX?

Also, would you mind walking us through the process you go through when charting on both the Raymarine chart plotter and the iNavX in parallel? Do you chart two separate courses or is there a way of "sharing" one plotting on the other device?
Old 05-07-2018, 10:31   #53

When selecting charts, from the iNavX chart list, what does AIS - selective worldwide coverage indicate? Ie., if that's purchase for $100, does that give access to all charts? Has anyone made this purchase?

When I purchased the iNavX app, it appeared there were charts at no additional cost that could be downloaded. So, what are the charts from Navionics and other companies that cost more?
Old 05-07-2018, 10:45   #54

Boat: Aquarius Pilot Cutter

iNavX has a "channel" on YouTube with tutorial videos. Search iNavx on YouTube
Eric
Broadside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 10:48   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
Yes I use it. And no on the tutorial.

Candidly I found it fairly intuitive —- aside from working out how to connect it to my Vesper. But there is an online help doc that is good.
Indeed. I don't think any manual is needed. It's a useful but highly dumbed-down app with very few functions, requiring no real instruction to use.

Just to name one example of the extreme degree to which it is simplified -- it doesn't even have any "find own ship" function. If you put the cursor somewhere besides own ship, the cursor will simply jump back automatically after a few seconds. It's got Apple blood running through its veins, and any 5 year old could operate it.

I used it for many years as a backup and under the sprayhood plotter and it serves that function well. It's easy to get instrument and AIS data on to it if you have a wifi node on your boat network, and it displays most of this information reasonably well.

INavX is the exact philosophical opposite of the nerdy, complex, and extremely powerful OpenCPN which I do use at the nav table, and adore.

Concerning charts: They are expensive compared to some other variants, and you are locked into Fugawi. It used to be that they had a very generous policy of allowing you to access charts you purchased even when they were far out of date, something very useful to me since I never used INavX for primary navigation and didn't need to update the expensive charts. Technical support were very responsive and helpful if you had problems with the charts.

I understand these policies have changed, and if that is true, that certainly diminishes the appeal.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 12:16   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acadia426 View Post
Forgive my question, but what is "quilting?" I imagine it's some kind of overlaying information. Am I close?
As I undertand it it is the ability for the program to move from one raster chart to the next automatically so that you don’t have to select charts.

Id like to hear other definitions if that is not correct.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:17   #57

Boat: Pearson 530

Just purchased iNavX last week and watched the tutorials for waypoints, routes, tracks, and set-up. Pretty simple once you get the lingo down. Tried it on the water and the heading is off 40 degrees and the icon turns as you turn the iPad. Crazy.

I didn't buy any extra maps, weather, or tide charts, waiting to see how well I like it.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:22   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
How does one, in fact, know from the list of charts accessible through the iNavX app which charts are which: which are rasters, etc...? Where are they sourced? Whose the manufacturer? I think I'm missing something about finding charts for this app. Thank you.
If I were you I would email Shaun with the question. I reposted a description upthread somewhere. In short you can buy them from Fugawi but Shaun suggests you make an “in app” purchase.

I suggest you IDENTIFY them on Fugawi, figure out what you want, then PURCHASE them in app.

Oh the upper left corner of your screen is a CHARTS icon. Click that. On the next page again on the top is a STORE icon, click that. That’s where you buy the charts “in app.”
Old 05-07-2018, 12:27   #59

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstano View Post
Just purchased iNavX last week and watched the tutorials for waypoints, routes, tracks, and set-up. Pretty simple once you get the lingo down. Tried it on the water and the heading is off 40 degrees and the icon turns as you turn the iPad. Crazy.

I didn't buy any extra maps, weather, or tide charts, waiting to see how well I like it.
I noticed that last week for the first time - my understanding is that the heading is based on the iPad’s internal compass, so naturally the boat turns as you turn the device. As for it being off - I haven’t confirmed yet but suspect the iPad compass needs to be calibrated - go into the Compass app and do the figure eight rotation thing and I’m guessing it will fix the problem.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:31   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Hpeer, so do you use a Raymarine with Navionics and the iNavX as a backup?
Let’s say I use both for different purposes. Because the iPhone is not water proof i don’t use it on passages. There Navionics is good enough. I use iNavEx and the raster charts for detailed navigation. I’ve unfortunatly have had to maneuver into some tight Bahamian anchorages at night. This is only possible with the excellent Explorer charts.

If I had a true water proof iPhone with a eternal battery that would be my chart plotter.

But you have to understand who you are talking to.

I have a RM C80 plotter, and carry a spare. It is also my radar screen.
iPhone 6 with with iNavEx and charts
IPad (very old) with iNavEx and charts
2 laptop computers with a variety of charts running variously Fugawi, OPEN CON or Navigatrix
At least one handheld battery operated GPS
A variety of other devices (VHF, AIS) that display lag/long
Paper charts
A sextant - with a training manual - god forbid

Tags
iNavX, Ipad