Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2021, 05:22   #1

Auto Pilot upgrade

Hi all,
I am looking to upgrade the original electronics package (circa 1983, still has original Loran) with a new Garmin set up. Most likely an 8612 chart plotter, auto pilot & dome radar.
The question is: Is there a compatible Garmin auto pilot that will work with my current NECO (cable steering) control? Or a way to interface the new with the old? I am hoping that I will not have to remove the current NECO dial autopilot pump system (All works very well) and can some how add in a new Garmin which will work with the new chart plotter.
I am located on Long Island, NY
GB 42 Intuition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 09:44   #2

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II
Re: Auto Pilot upgrade

Not that this has to do with your old analog LORAN, but a new LORAN system is being discussed.
Seems western nations feel threatened by Russian and Chinese anti-satellite programs and the probability of space based GNSS being taken out early in any major confrontation.
Long range, shore based digital LORAN would be a good backup.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2021, 10:16   #3

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Look at opencpn and pypilot for the chart plotter and updated AP software.

Not familiar w/the NECO drive, but you should be able update it to a smarter AP with the pypilot programming.

Opencpn has programing already installed for several new type radar domes to be directly plugged in the computer via the ethernet port (RJ45). We are using a raspberry pi 4B with a new B&G halo20+ dome.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 09:56   #4

Boat: Kadey Krogen 42

Intuition,

I agree with you that the best you can do is to replace old electronics. I currently have a full Garmin system with MFD's, autopilot, doppler radar, AIS and side/forward scan sonar. On a previous boat I had a Neco autopilot that went bad one day with a hard to starboard signal to the drive that would not clear. I, also, felt that the drive unit was OK so I removed the control head and put a new one in and wired it to the original drive unit. I have since sold the boat but the new owner reports that it is still working great. I can probably find my old notes if you are interested in trying that route.

My only current thought is that you will need to insure that the control unit that you look at as a replacement has a NMEA 0183 output as well as NMEA 2000 because the old drives probably will not work on NMEA 2000.

Good Luck.
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2021, 10:23   #5

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

I'm not familiar with the Neco drive, but most modern autopilots output one reversible voltage of up to 12v to the drive motor and one switched 12 v signal to the drive clutch or bypass valve solenoid. I managed to nurse an old Benmar unit around the Great Loop on a GB42, but had to resolder a bunch of connections on circuit boards.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote