Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-09-2020, 17:08   #1

Boat: Skookum 53 ketch
autopilot recommendations for 53-foot Skookum sailboat/troller

Hi all:

Vessel is 53-feet, 40 gross tons. Commercial fishboat (troller for salmon based in Sitka, Alaska), but also a sailboat (ketch-rigged, with headsail and staysail). Looking for recs on an autopilot that'll allow me to power an autopilot electrically via batteries versus powered off the main as it is presently configured.

First, what I have: A 40-year-old hydraulically-powered Wagner Mark IV. Yeah, it's old, and it works flawlessly. Problem is: It only works when the main engine is running (4-71 Detroit "Jimmy" Diesel; pump mounted on camshaft). As of now, gotta hand-steer if I wanna sail w/o the engine running, which sorta defeats the purpose. Fish alone a lotta the time, and tho I can and have sailed by myself, it ain't easy.

So: wondering if I might tap the hive mind and see what folks recommend for replacing my system from being powered off the main to powered by batteries? Or am I going about this wrong? Happy to be enlightened, specially if there're options of which I'm ignorant. (What I don't know is legion.)

Rudder is fairly large, keel/skeg-mounted, solid f/g, roughly 3 1/2' x 5' n prolly 3" thick. Question is: are there electrically-powered autopilot systems available that will accommodate my needs? Brand names/models greatly appreciated, specially from folks with direct experience setting up a vessel of that size.

(For batteries, have two separate banks of two 8D batts wired in parallel to maintain 12-volt and double amps, plus a 4D at helm -- USCG-mandated emergency power for comms.) Would one batt bank, i.e. two dedicated 8Ds in parallel be sufficient power to, say, power the autopilot and nav software and comms for an 8-hour stretch w/o overly discharging the batts?

If I'm going about this wrong, feel free to say so. Thanks for your time and consideration in fielding my query. Gotta replace a Vickers hydraulic pump and clutch assembly (separate problem), but will attempt to field queries in betwixt showering in hydraulic fluid and grime.
Albee rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2020, 17:18   #2

Re: autopilot recommendations for 53-foot Skookum sailboat/troller

If the steering disengages from the hydraulics when the h is off, try CPT, I believe it's CPT Autopilot Inc.

Good luck, well presented question.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 14:07   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albee rose View Post
Hi all:

Vessel is 53-feet, 40 gross tons. Commercial fishboat (troller for salmon based in Sitka, Alaska), but also a sailboat (ketch-rigged, with headsail and staysail). Looking for recs on an autopilot that'll allow me to power an autopilot electrically via batteries versus powered off the main as it is presently configured.

First, what I have: A 40-year-old hydraulically-powered Wagner Mark IV. Yeah, it's old, and it works flawlessly. Problem is: It only works when the main engine is running (4-71 Detroit "Jimmy" Diesel; pump mounted on camshaft). As of now, gotta hand-steer if I wanna sail w/o the engine running, which sorta defeats the purpose. Fish alone a lotta the time, and tho I can and have sailed by myself, it ain't easy.

So: wondering if I might tap the hive mind and see what folks recommend for replacing my system from being powered off the main to powered by batteries? Or am I going about this wrong? Happy to be enlightened, specially if there're options of which I'm ignorant. (What I don't know is legion.)

Rudder is fairly large, keel/skeg-mounted, solid f/g, roughly 3 1/2' x 5' n prolly 3" thick. Question is: are there electrically-powered autopilot systems available that will accommodate my needs? Brand names/models greatly appreciated, specially from folks with direct experience setting up a vessel of that size.

(For batteries, have two separate banks of two 8D batts wired in parallel to maintain 12-volt and double amps, plus a 4D at helm -- USCG-mandated emergency power for comms.) Would one batt bank, i.e. two dedicated 8Ds in parallel be sufficient power to, say, power the autopilot and nav software and comms for an 8-hour stretch w/o overly discharging the batts?

If I'm going about this wrong, feel free to say so. Thanks for your time and consideration in fielding my query. Gotta replace a Vickers hydraulic pump and clutch assembly (separate problem), but will attempt to field queries in betwixt showering in hydraulic fluid and grime.
First your boat have Displacement 56,000 lbs 23 tonn
you mast choice new electric pump similar size your pump now in use.When choosing the correct pump for your craft, you need to know the volume of the steering cylinder fitted to the boat. This is determined by the type of boat, its dimensions and displacement.

The size of the pump directly influences the ability to steer the craft. If the pump is too small, it will struggle to maintain a course. Too large, it can cause the boat to over steer and use excessive power.
for autopilot ask Garmin
https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/599938
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/gar010-...-pump-kit.html
more is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2020, 14:21   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

Wagner PV040, PV100, PV140 & PV125 Pump Set SPECS ... Adjustable Flow Rate For Up To 70 Cu. In. Maximum Cylinder Displacement ... 20A (12vdc), 12A (24vdc) or 10A (32vdc) Max Load
1.1-2 liter pump you need measure your cylinder or ask this gay
Marine-Plus.Com Wagner PV100 Service Gallery For the Boating Community!
more is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
autopilot, boat, men, sail, sailboat