Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2024, 08:49   #16

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft
Re: Autopilot taken over by "Smart Device"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
I recall a couple of similar incidents some years back, other one caused a collision. Don't remember any details thou.

Autopilot does not mean you can leave the steering control (helm manual takeover) area nor stop constant eyeball watch.
Back in ancient times ('90s) ,the EU required a 4 minute alarm be included with autopilots.
A couple of N.A. companies came out with adjustable alarm timers-15 min. & my fishing customers bought them because it was common for their helmsan to fall asleep.
Now many "boaters" want to pre-program their pilots to blindly follow a multi waypoint track to anywhere,un-attended.
Just like driverless cars or Google Map drivers-blind faith in modern technology.
Of course,horses could do that in the olden days.
Personally,I'm waiting for a universal,beautiful,inexpensive AI droid to chauffer me-to the end of the voyage

Cheers/Len

Tags
autopilot