Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 10:03   #1

B&G 4G Radar "No radar"

I have a B&G 4G Radar connected via an RI10 interface box and a NEP2 Ethernet switch to a Zeus 7 MFD. Occasionally it showed "no radar", but this has become a hard fault.

The RI10 still shows OK on the Zeus device list and the green LED on the RI10 interface box flashes at about 1Hz. However the RI10 port on the NEP2 does not show a lit LED and I suspect an Ethernet connection problem. (I've tried swapping ports.)

My question is - does the unilluminated LED on the NEP2 switch indicate a problem with the RI10 or its cable? Alternatively could the RI10 be OK and the problem is the scanner up the mast or its cable.

I guess the question could be rephrased as - does the RI10 perform Ethernet comms or does it just pass the signals up the mast.
MalcolmStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:10   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: B&G 4G Radar "No radar"

Welcome to the forum, Malcolm.

The RI10 injects the NMEA 2000 data into the radar feed. It is not needed to operate the basic functions of the radar. Unfortunately, the plug into the RI10 and into the chart plotter are different so you need a patch cable.
Old Today, 10:44   #3

Thanks. I think NMEA200 is just used to pass heading data and the main comms is on ethernet. The NMEA2000 seems OK, but not the Ethernet and I'd like to narrow down just where the problem lies.
MalcolmStewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:45   #4

I fixed a 4G "No Radar" problem by replacing the Ethernet cables.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radar