Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2021, 07:34   #1

Boat: Hylas 46
B&G App...

Hello Members, I have B&B Zues3S with laptop for App. On B&G site app description says it's for Iphone, Tablet & computer. Wtih the latter I could not down load, I finally contacted B&B support and they informed me, there is not an app yet for computers? Ummmm.

So, girlfrend has older IPad...still will not download as the Ipad is too old. Neither of us have a smartphone (Flips).

Q. please....is this B&G app worth purchasing a new IPad?

Bit more info....boat is a Hylas CC. Zues installed in Navpod facing wheel. Forward of binnacle is main cockpit sitting area where anyone on watch will most liley be sitting, to maybe monitor Zues via Ipad???

Thanks!
Don
Old 31-03-2021, 08:17   #2

Boat: Farr 43`
Re: B&G App...

I tried the Link App on my iPhone.
Liked it so much I bought an iPad.

Way cheaper than and additional display from B&G.

It does everything the Zeus does except autopilot control.
The devices are mirrored.
Either device can change screens.
Touch function works seamlessly.

The new iPad interfaces faster and more smoothly than the iPhone 6 so I suspect the lag is with Apple.

Concurrent connections are unsupported so only one device at a time.

I believe there is an Android version of the Link app to connect a non premium device.
The retina display is nice but the iPad lives at the Nav station so the display brightness is a bit wasted.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 18:08   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
I tried the Link App on my iPhone.
Liked it so much I bought an iPad.

Way cheaper than and additional display from B&G.

It does everything the Zeus does except autopilot control.
The devices are mirrored.
Either device can change screens.
Touch function works seamlessly.

The new iPad interfaces faster and more smoothly than the iPhone 6 so I suspect the lag is with Apple.

Concurrent connections are unsupported so only one device at a time.

I believe there is an Android version of the Link app to connect a non premium device.
The retina display is nice but the iPad lives at the Nav station so the display brightness is a bit wasted.
Rucksta: Thanks heaps for you're input! Looks like your feedback pretty much sums it up with your second sentence.

Couple of questions if I may...

I see quite a few Ipad configurations.... not being an Apple guy, would you have a suggestion on which Ipad to get?

Is there a subscription to the app?

Do you have to have the Zeus on....to view the app?

Thanks in advance!
Don
Old 31-03-2021, 18:59   #4

Boat: Farr 43`

Most basic iPad will do the job as a mirror for the Zeus.

Big bright display (retina)is nice.
Storage, SIM card & GPS are nice if you want a multifunction device e.g.
music , stand alone navigation, 4G connectivity.

The Link app is free.

To mirror the Zeus and access the data on the NEMA bus the Zeus needs to be on.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 19:39   #5

Like all things sailing, the answer is: IT DEPENDS...

It is worth it if you want an easy way to mirror your primary MFD screen somewhere else on the boat. For us that is handy and worth it. It means a crew member on watch who has a question doesn't need me on deck, I can look at the situation without getting out of my berth. A Captain with extra sleep is a good thing!

Short answer is it works as advertised. If that matters to YOU, only YOU know.

If a mirrored display is not worth the expense to you, then.... it's not worth it. Nobody here can answer that for you. Despite that, many will tell you what you should do.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2021, 19:49   #6

Thumbs up Rucksta... much appreciated! Queensland huh, nice! I sailed down to Perth via Phuket Thailand back in 86 for the America's Cup and had a great time! Going to launch out of here July/Aug. for Mex., stay a year to work out the bugs, in the boat. AFter, we're thinking 3 seasons in the S. Pacific, one of the out of seasons, NZ, Barrier Reef...surely Queensland for a beer! . Eventually, continue West.

Best
Don
Old 31-03-2021, 19:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
Like all things sailing, the answer is: IT DEPENDS...

It is worth it if you want an easy way to mirror your primary MFD screen somewhere else on the boat. For us that is handy and worth it. It means a crew member on watch who has a question doesn't need me on deck, I can look at the situation without getting out of my berth. A Captain with extra sleep is a good thing!

Short answer is it works as advertised. If that matters to YOU, only YOU know.

If a mirrored display is not worth the expense to you, then.... it's not worth it. Nobody here can answer that for you. Despite that, many will tell you what you should do.
Roger Billkny! (like) Captain with extra sleep! Needless to say....starting to see the plus's. Looks like the only negative...can not access the autopilot, now that would be nice! I get the drawbacks, namely hacking...but, seems there should have been a way to access via Password.

Thanks!
Old 31-03-2021, 20:16   #8

The autopilot limitation in the app is not about "hacking," despite the internet gurus making that claim. It is about basic safety. No boat should ever have two autopilot controllers active at a time. Nothing good can come of it, only grief. The concern isn't about malicious intent, just errors and miscommunication.

A well designed system will never allow two separate helm stations to be "active" AP controllers at the same time. That logically extends to wireless connections. If you try to write out the logic of how an AP should respond in the case of conflicting commands from different control heads you'll start to understand why this has to be this way. Note: there ARE poorly designed systems out there, you should not buy them!

Navico looked at it, and decided that trying to lock out the hardwired controls when the wireless APP was active just wasn't the right thing to do. They made the right decision--although lots of amateur boaters whine about it.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:01   #9

Quote:
The autopilot limitation in the app is not about "hacking," despite the internet gurus making that claim. It is about basic safety. No boat should ever have two autopilot controllers active at a time. Nothing good can come of it, only grief. The concern isn't about malicious intent, just errors and miscommunication.

A well designed system will never allow two separate helm stations to be "active" AP controllers at the same time. That logically extends to wireless connections. If you try to write out the logic of how an AP should respond in the case of conflicting commands from different control heads you'll start to understand why this has to be this way. Note: there ARE poorly designed systems out there, you should not buy them!

Navico looked at it, and decided that trying to lock out the hardwired controls when the wireless APP was active just wasn't the right thing to do. They made the right decision--although lots of amateur boaters whine about it.
Interesting and makes logical sense! Thanks!
Old 01-04-2021, 07:11   #10

Boat: boatless currently

Quote:

How does this theory deal with the fact that multiple Navico MFDs plus dedicated control head can control the autopilot simultaneously?
Kamen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 07:38   #11

Boat: 1987 Pearson 39-2

We got the B&G app to work with a borrowed iPad, but can only get the link to work with our Samsung tablet. Seems to give us the same functionality, though?

Neither works with my (admittedly old and cranky) Android phone. The b&g app connects with his phone, but isn't stable. We weren't that interested in phones, anyway, as we want to have the tablet in the cockpit and be able to leave the Zeus down below. My point is just that this function seems temperamental, at best.
SeaStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:22   #12

Boat: Hylas 54

Quote:

Every boat I've ever been on with multiple helms has multiple AP controllers, which are all active. I'm sailing along with the AP driving, I can jump up to either helm and press "standby" or +10, etc. Why would that ever be a bad thing? I can add another Raymarine AP head anywhere on my network and it will function just the same as the others. both wheels work, why shouldn't Both AP controllers work?
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2021, 08:39   #13

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 35.1

I had an old iPad on the boat which worked poorly with the Zeus3: Lots of dropouts, slow, frequent disconnects. Someone on this site mentioned the new iPad Air (Get 4) worked well with B&G. Since the old one was also rather heavy, I bought the new iPad Air.

The advice I got was correct! The iPad Air works great with the Zeus3. I can sit comfortably in the cabin adding waypoints and routes. And, Apple gave me $260 for my old iPad. (Yeah, I likely could have gotten more selling it, but the Apple trade-in system is very easy.)
Dr. D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 20:13   #14

Note: I will call B&G on Monday.....and get the whole story! And needless to say, report here!

Thanks for everyones' input!
Old 03-04-2021, 00:03   #15

Boat: Hanse 531

I tried the app a couple of times but since it's mirroring the screen it needs a reasonably good network connection between the Zeus and the device. End result: in our boat, and with our comms infrastructure, it didn't work terribly well:

- screen freezes, glitches
- touch response slow, poor

I think the basic design philosophy of "mirroring" isn't very optimal.

And re the AP discussion: the control keypads (virtual or physical) seem to interact with the AP computer in a stateless mode, i.e. the AP computer doesn't care whether the "+10" or "standby" was clicked on the physical keypad or the Zeus MFD. What's a bit scarier (and a valid security issue) is that once the boat is connected to the internet, it opens up the possibility of remotely controlling the AP from wherever in the world There are opportunities there as well, of course. I've been thinking about MOB software for solo sailors that would a) recognize if the solo sailor is too far away from the boat (in the water) and b) use some intelligent way of trying to control the AP to get the boat back close to said solo sailor in the water.