Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-11-2014, 05:49   #1

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50
B&G Electronic Issues

I am having a weird continuing issue regarding the wind vane on my B&G system. I have a Zeus T8, 3 Triton displays, and the rest of the complete B&G system. I have had the wind transducer at the masthead replaced twice already under warranty due to defects regarding bogus wind speed (100+ knts.) being displayed under wet conditions. The most recent transducer seems to be working fine.

We have just left NC traveling south on the ICW towards FL, and all of the electronics were working perfectly. We arrive at a marina a few nights ago, I turn all the electronics off at the breaker, next morning get up to turn everything on, and there is no data being displayed on any of the electronics. Everything powers on, but the data from DST800 and the wind data is not being read.

I have torn apart the entire system while on the phone with B&G support and we have narrowed it down to an situation where somehow electricity entered the system and took out both the DST and wind transducers. The thing that bothers me is how I was already having issues regarding the wind transducer before, so somehow I think this is still part of the problem. Perhaps there's a part that's getting wet and it's taking down the transducer? The masthead unit and depth transducer feed into a T, with a cable running back to the backbone behind the nav station. I have a B&G rep trying to make it out to the boat today (I am currently in Charleston, SC), but was wondering if anyone else has been having issues regarding B&G.

David
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 05:57   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: B&G Electronic Issues

Has there been any lightning? Masthead transducers tend to be very sensitive to nearby lightning.

Other than that, I don't understand "somehow electricity entered the system".

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2014, 09:00   #3

That's what's weird... There was no lightning in the area. A slight rain but thats it. If there was lightning it had to have been at least 10 miles away.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 18-11-2014, 16:12   #4

Installed a new DST800 today, and it works fine. Wind data still not being read. So something obviously fried both transducers, even though they are still showing ohms through a meter. I am leaving tomorrow heading south towards Beaufort, SC, so at least I have a depth gauge now. The 508 masthead is the THIRD one from B&G in a period of two months that has been bad. I know they have had issues but this is getting ridiculous.