Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2016, 04:06   #1

Boat: Beneteau 50
B & G Hydra Pilot 2000 display flickering

Hi
esteemed fellow sailors, my autopilot was working normally when l looked at the screen was on but blank no LCD numerics or letters after awhile the screen was flickering, numbers and letters flashing on and off and then no autopilot, recycled the system, same symptoms?? This happened on passage between Curacao and Sint Marteen 180nm NE of Bonaire just prior to cracking three thro hulls at 3 am /managed to plug the holes and returned on a very long worrying 23 hrs downwind to Curacao where we hauled out last night. I din't fancy hand steering back 480nm so any help with the Autopilot appreciated. Could it be a loose connection on the cockpit display? Thanks in advance

Peter - If it can't be fixed with a hammer it must be an electrical problem
Peter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:26   #2

Boat: Morgan 462
Re: B & G Hydra Pilot 2000 display flickering

Wow... first off how did you crack three thru hulls?
As far as the electronics... check the simple stuff first. If it was me i would disconnect it from the pump and shared electronics backbone if it is connected to one. if it works its its pump or backbone/sensor problem...
If not working... shut everything else off on the boat and run a meter on the power and ground... check fuses and breakers for intermittent power loss. try turning on the system with nothing but verified power connected.
my guess is ground. it always seems to be a ground.
If you lost your t-hulls due to electrolysis this may be a clue to your autopilot
have you installed any other electronics or led lights lately?
Linwood4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:44   #3

Boat: "Wanderlust" -- 1999 Jefferson Rivanna 52'

I'm with Linwood. Intermittent flickering like that is often a symptom of a bad ground connection. Corrosion would be my first guess. Start with the power and ground wires for the display and trace from there. Verify each has a positive, stable connection and then methodically move down the chain.
MV Wanderlust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 08:26   #4

Boat: Beneteau 50

Hi Linwood and John, l installed LED's in the salon recently before the trip. The thro hulls l'm in the middle of grinding the all out, 22 total and shall replace them all. I have a 2002 Beneteau and coincidentally enough here at the marina a retired American ex Beneteau California told me that Beneteau's 2002. - 2006 were known for inferior thou hulls and had to change them out upon delivery. Looks like electolisis problem. I shall check out the autopilot once l've completed the thro hulls and plumbed back up may as well bead blast the hull and repaint - more expense thanks l shall keep you both posted

Peter - If it can't be fixed with a hammer it must be an electrical problem
Peter200 is offline   Reply With Quote