Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2019, 08:01   #1

Boat: Hanse 385
B&G NMEA2000 issue

Hi Everyone - new to this forum stuff...
I have a B&G NMEA network with Zeus chart plotter, Triton displays, 508 mast head unit and other add on bits.
I seem to have a problem as the displays show static wind direction at 60deg no matter what heading the yacht is moving. Wind speed seems fine and changes with gusts. However the wind direction never changes but the masthead pointer always points into wind.
Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong as I don't fancy climbing the mast unless I really have to.
I have checked the network diagnostics on the plotter but setup seems fine - data for the masthead sensor shows 60deg which is what is shown on the displays.
Regards Paul
Monster Piu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:10   #2

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
Re: B&G NMEA2000 issue

Although I have no familiarity with the B&G wind gear, I assume it operates very similarly to those provide by other instrument manufacturers. Sounds like there is either an open or a constant voltage on the cable from the masthead unit to wherever that signal enters the NMEA2000 network (I've only worked with NMEA183). B&G or other users of those instruments should be able to give you instructions on where you can test that signal cable voltage. I would guess a connector issue or a problem with the masthead sender. You didn't say if this is a new installation or one that has been working and suddenly gone bonkers.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:49   #3

Boat: Tartan 3800

Did you bench test the sensor before taking it up the mast?

Is it at one end of your NMEA2000 network? The wind instrument has a terminator built into it and is supposed to be at one end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstevens View Post
Although I have no familiarity with the B&G wind gear, I assume it operates very similarly to those provide by other instrument manufacturers. Sounds like there is either an open or a constant voltage on the cable from the masthead unit to wherever that signal enters the NMEA2000 network (I've only worked with NMEA183). B&G or other users of those instruments should be able to give you instructions on where you can test that signal cable voltage. I would guess a connector issue or a problem with the masthead sender. You didn't say if this is a new installation or one that has been working and suddenly gone bonkers.

John

The 508 masthead unit has a NMEA2000 connection as its output. There is no signal to test without disassembling the masthead unit.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:49   #4

Boat: 1968 Ohlson 38 Sloop
Send a message via Yahoo to phantomracer

Did it ever work properly?

did you contact B&G for ideas ? possibly its a known problem.

At worst, they will exchange the unit for a new one for about half retail (at least they do it here in the USA)

Out of the box it should work with no adjustment, unless the unit is not mounted perfectly in line with the boat, which you can make adjustments. Mine worked fine out of the box.

Had issues with other sensors before. Seems it is always solved by R+R the plug, or power cycling the system.

If you can get the unit off the mast, and have (or can get) a N2k to simnet cable and test it off the mast (to see if maybe the cable is bad)

the simnet port on the masthead could have some corrosion, or the wire itself. I always spray contact cleaner on both before the mast goes in each spring.. just to make sure there is good contact.

I would call B&G. Just could have a bad unit.
phantomracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 21:51   #5

The only thing you can really do would be to read the raw nmea 2000 data from something like a maretron USB gateway and computer Software. To see if mast head is actually outputting 60 or not. Or if the issue is elsewhere. But it likly it is putting out 60.

Next step is removing it from mast and likly sending back.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2019, 05:44   #6

Boat: C&C38-3 WK

If you have Wind speed, the N2K bus is fine. To confirm, go in your Zeus setting/network page and have a look at the diagnostics errors and lost message. Should have none. Check in Device list for your 508 MHU; you can see in Data what come from it. Most probably the PC Board in the 508 is damaged.
PeterSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2019, 06:06   #7

Boat: Hanse 385

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monster Piu View Post
Hi Everyone - new to this forum stuff...
I have a B&G NMEA network with Zeus chart plotter, Triton displays, 508 mast head unit and other add on bits.
I seem to have a problem as the displays show static wind direction at 60deg no matter what heading the yacht is moving. Wind speed seems fine and changes with gusts. However the wind direction never changes but the masthead pointer always points into wind.
Does anyone have any idea what could be wrong as I don't fancy climbing the mast unless I really have to.
I have checked the network diagnostics on the plotter but setup seems fine - data for the masthead sensor shows 60deg which is what is shown on the displays.
Regards Paul
Many thanks to those who responded to my wind pointer angle issue.
I contacted B&G who have not had this problem without the wind pointer sticking at the set angle. My indicator did follow and point to wind direction. B&G offered some advise but required me to climb the mast - everything looked okay and had a fiddle with the connection and where the cable run enters the mast. This seems to have ‘cured’ my issue and display now shows correct wind angle. B&G also offered a service exchange for the mast head as it was under 5years old.
So thanks for all your useful comments.��
Monster Piu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
nmea