Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2021, 15:07   #1

Boat: Beneteau 38.1
Angry B&G V60 VHF + H60 Handset stuck in "Repeat Handset Audio" mode.

Hi All,

I've been going back and forth with B&G to no avail and outside of shipping back my radio (for the second time) and getting it reset or replaced.

At some point, I believe it was after trying out the intercom for the first time, the radio has started repeating everything said into the handheld H60 handset out the speakers. This causes a reverberation echo if the handset is anywhere near the speaker.

I have an external speaker in the cockpit which allows me to hear the radio much better than the cabin speaker or the handheld alone. But since it is in the cockpit I can no longer talk into the handheld while near the external speaker.

Has anyone else gotten into this issue and figured out a way out? Resetting the radio and software reload has not helped.

It seems very similar to this setting on the simrad HS40, "REPEAT HANDSET AUDIO" but there is no corresponding menu on the V60.

https://www.simrad-yachting.com/en-n...uideId=534-960
ericloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 09:38   #2

Re: B&G V60 VHF + H60 Handset stuck in "Repeat Handset Audio" mode.

ericloe,

FYI:

I have the Simrad RS40-B and HS40 wireless handheld. To my understanding, these radios are exactly the same except for the branding. I have what sounds like the same setup, and issue as you. VHF installed below deck on sailboat, wireless handheld at helm, and remote speaker at helm.

I too am having the audio repeat issue. My radio is also missing the menu option to turn off audio repeat. When I contacted Simrad, I was instructed to update the software, which I have not yet attempted (I have a Raymarine MDF, not Simrad/B&G). My current software version is V4.18, and the most current update available is V3.74. I asked about this when speaking to the Simrad tech, and I was told that V3.74 was the most up to date version, and that I should install this version. I was given a case number, and told to call back if this did not fix my issues.

I intend to attempt to to try and install the software update using my Raymarine MDF, and will report back if I have any success.
Seafloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 11:59   #3

Boat: Beneteau 38.1

tl;dr fixed by getting v4.39 directly from B&G, not yet on the website.

Surprised it's not already an option in the RS40 since that's what the article I linked references.

I wouldn't "downgrade" the software to a lower version, personally.

This issue was eventually solved by a B&G tech sending me software version 4.39 offline which exposed this issue. I am not sure if the same techs are available for the simrad branded radios, but I found some to be very helpful and some to be disgruntled at having to answer the phone.

Try calling and asking for tier 2 support and ask to speak to Ryan Flynn or have him call you back. He was extremely helpful and was able to get me the latest software to try out.
ericloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2021, 12:46   #4

Thank you for this update! Yeah, I did not want to go back to an earlier version, I will call back as you suggested.
Old 16-08-2021, 14:30   #5

It looks like Simrad updated their website with the RS40-B V4.39 software just two days ago (14 aug 2021):

https://downloads.simrad-yachting.co...ex.html?r=4373
Old 23-10-2021, 13:54   #6

Boat: Elan 333

Seafloor - my V60 is v4.18 and my H60 is v3.74 - both the latest versions I think. Does this explain your issue?

For my part I’ve just been trying to pair my brand new installed V60 with my just out of the box H60. I follow the instructions to go to the “pair with handset” on the V60 menu, then I turn on the H60 and hold down Scan until “pairing with handset” appears. This flashes continuously for ever well after the V60 has returned to normal operation.

I’ve tried everything - even ensuring my iPhone Bluetooth and WiFi are off, as well as sneaking up on it when it’s not expecting me. All to no avail. Any similar experience and or advice out there please.
Cruisedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2021, 12:16   #7

Cruisedog,

When I purchased my Simrad RS-40B it was at software version V4.18. The most current software for the RS-40 and B&G V60 is V4.39. With the version V4.39 installed, it will automatically push the new version (V3.72) to your hand held.

I was able to connect to my hand held with the old V4.18 software. It took several attempts to pair it the first time, as you have found. After pairing the hand held, I still had issues connecting when turning on the radio. I found that having the hand held in the charging cradle when turning it on helped it to connect.

After updating the software to V4.39, it seems to connect fine, although I've only the opportunity to try it once or twice.
Old 30-10-2021, 04:09   #8

Thanks, Seafloor

I contacted Simrad and they sent me the attached document (hope it has attached!). Seems like they were aware there is an inherent fault in the software as issued for sometime. Surprised they did not mention this when I bought it!

I now have the frustration of waiting till I return to my boat in France next April before I can put it to the test.

Best
CD
Old 30-10-2021, 04:12   #9

PS. It reminds me of the old "zapping the PRAM" on a Mac that I used to use to unwind internal convulsions from time to time.
Old 10-01-2022, 13:26   #10

Cruisedog, I had the exact same problem with pairing. Both the V60-B and H60 worked fine for a year but then all of a sudden they stopped pairing and I got the same "pairing with handset" message that never went away. So I updated the software and still had the same problem. I sent my handset to B&G and they said it was fine. So now I am doing the Advanced Warranty Replacement whereby I pay upfront for a new V60-B, they ship it to me, I bring it back to my boat (in Tahiti) and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, I ship them back the faulty V60-B and they issue a refund. If it doesn't. I don't know what's next. I'm not happy. It sounds like the pairing problem we are having is not uncommon and that B&G hasn't figured out why to happens or how to fix it. Does anyone else have any intel? Michael
mcdume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2023, 13:59   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdume View Post
Cruisedog, I had the exact same problem with pairing. Both the V60-B and H60 worked fine for a year but then all of a sudden they stopped pairing and I got the same "pairing with handset" message that never went away. So I updated the software and still had the same problem. I sent my handset to B&G and they said it was fine. So now I am doing the Advanced Warranty Replacement whereby I pay upfront for a new V60-B, they ship it to me, I bring it back to my boat (in Tahiti) and see if that fixes the problem. If it does, I ship them back the faulty V60-B and they issue a refund. If it doesn't. I don't know what's next. I'm not happy. It sounds like the pairing problem we are having is not uncommon and that B&G hasn't figured out why to happens or how to fix it. Does anyone else have any intel? Michael
I am having this exact problem! Started over the winter after having worked fine/pairing for a couple of years. Good to know I’m not alone but this pairing issue is nuts.
sawickipedia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
vhf