Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2021, 16:38   #1

Boat: Hanse 348
B&G wind instrument calibration fix for Triton wind

The wind indicator on the boat, 4 yrs old, has never worked properly. On stb tack I think it gives a good reading.

On port tack, see pic, it is completely off. We are actually beating with the wind from the port side yet it shows the wind is 15 deg apparent, it is really about 45 app from the other side!

I don't know if this is a calibration issue, or if the sensors on the port side of the mast head unit aren't working etc. I have not been up to the top of the mast. The part that points into the wind direction is working, that is why I am thinking the sensor that reads its position is not correct. When wind is on the stb side, it seems to be correct.

Anyone ever experience this or have any ideas on how to fix/troubleshoot?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210127_140958.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	412.9 KB
ID:	232821  
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 16:48   #2

Boat: Tartan T4400
Re: B&G wind instrument calibration fix for Triton wind

I would say you need to perform the calibration. Not sure what processor you have but there is not a port and starboard sensor in the mast head units. Also should make sure your compass is calibrated so the boat heading is correct. I would do this first.
Old 18-02-2021, 18:06   #3

Boat: Hanse 348

Thanks. Zeus 2 system, triton 2 .
jbinbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2021, 18:36   #4

Boat: Farr 43`

Menu -Settings , calibration, wind.
Expand wind for option port/starboard bias.

I think there is also a fudge factor for wind speed and a damping compensation.

Working from memory here so if menu order varies hunt around a little until you find what you need.
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 12:59   #5

Boat: Beneteau 40.7

If you access the calibration function for your instrument you will usually find four correction factors, one for each primary direction. They should each be + or - a small number. If one or more is way off, replace the value with zero and check for an improvement. My Nexus wind instrument came with a correction table specific to the serial number on my unit.
Otherwise, there is a sensor and circuitry in your masthead wind unit that resolves direction from two orthogonal components. This could be defective. If you can rustle up a matching masthead unit connect it to your processor/instrument and then manually point the wind sensor to various directions.
The data coming down the mast are usually NEMA sentences for wind speed and direction so that if wind speed seems accurate regardless of heading it is more likely there is a direction sensor issue. Does your wind direction sensor appear to rotate smoothly to all points?
thunderhoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 13:29   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Pilot Saloon 40

I wonder what transducer you have on he masthead. I have an Airmar with no moving parts. There was no way to calibrate it through the Triton or Zeus. I had to go to the top of the mast and align it accurately. When I got tot the top of the mast it was obvious. There are markings on the unit to show where it should point. It must point dead ahead to work.
John Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2021, 20:33   #7

Boat: Union cutter 33

Do you have a heading sensor??
rosatte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, men, rum, wind