Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2023, 13:08   #1

Boat: Beneteau 361, 36
B&G Wind Instruments

My B&G wired wind instrument dropped off the NEMA 2000 network. I get nothing anywhere. Looks fine from the deck and I changed the fuse on my network. Everything else is talking and receiving.
Any know how to see if its dead?
Gripfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 13:31   #2

Boat: Privilege 39+2'
Re: B&G Wind Instruments

I assume you mean the mast top unit versus a dedicated Triton or other display. For entertainment value, if it was wireless the following would be the troubleshooting; I leave this here for posterity. make sure the 320 Bluetooth puck is still 1) on the network and 2) in range try bringingung it closer to the mast if feasible. .If those are good your battery probably crapped out... If you call B&G support for a new battery, better have the serial number of the wind instrument. You can make your own battery packs see CF thread on the subject, if you invest in an Amazon spot welder and some of the correct rechargeable AAA's and some heat shrink and nickel straps to spot weld join the batteries.

Since it is wired I would presume you want to test (verify snug/tight connections and/or reseat) your NMEA T connections for the instrument and immediatly upstream of any devises not showing up in your device list. Make sure your terminator is good on the end of your network. Swap it out to test. Swap out any T connector you think might be a problem for empiracal testing. Measure voltage on the network. Find the NMEA 2K pinout TURN OFF THE N2K power, and insert two small copper wires in any female connector into the + and - be sure to dogleg them away from each other, fence them off with electical tape MAKE SURE THEY DO NOT TOUCH. When multimeter DC voltage meter is connected, turn on the N2K power. Should be 12V or above. If not check the T connector that is the power supply to make sure connections are good and you have a well connected ground. Assuming your wind sensor and wire is good that tests about everything I can think of around it.
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 13:58   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_MO View Post
I assume you mean the mast top unit versus a dedicated Triton or other display. For entertainment value, if it was wireless the following would be the troubleshooting; I leave this here for posterity. make sure the 320 Bluetooth puck is still 1) on the network and 2) in range try bringingung it closer to the mast if feasible. .If those are good your battery probably crapped out... If you call B&G support for a new battery, better have the serial number of the wind instrument. You can make your own battery packs see CF thread on the subject, if you invest in an Amazon spot welder and some of the correct rechargeable AAA's and some heat shrink and nickel straps to spot weld join the batteries.

Since it is wired I would presume you want to test (verify snug/tight connections and/or reseat) your NMEA T connections for the instrument and immediatly upstream of any devises not showing up in your device list. Make sure your terminator is good on the end of your network. Swap it out to test. Swap out any T connector you think might be a problem for empiracal testing. Measure voltage on the network. Find the NMEA 2K pinout TURN OFF THE N2K power, and insert two small copper wires in any female connector into the + and - be sure to dogleg them away from each other, fence them off with electical tape MAKE SURE THEY DO NOT TOUCH. When tester is connected, turn on the N2K power. Should be 12V or above. If not check the T connector that is the power supply to make sure connections are good and you have a well connected ground. Assuming your wind sensor and wire is good that tests about everything I can think of around it.
Thanks Stephen, I will look into my network.
Old 05-02-2023, 14:05   #4

Boat: Privilege 39+2'

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...MygGegUIARDlAg
SV_FlyingTigress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 14:20   #5

Great info, thanks a bunch.
Old 05-02-2023, 15:21   #6

Looking into it further. The Wind instrument is talking to the network, I can get in the vesper interface app and see apperent wind speed and direction. Its just not coming thru to the B&G Zeus 2 plotter.
That plotter gives me a lot of trouble. Maybe its a setting on the plotter.
Old 06-02-2023, 15:16   #7

Aside from possible cable & connection issues which don't seem to be the case as you've stated that the Vesper device is receiving wind data.

Nonetheless check all of the T-pieces, cables and Terminator on the network. Note that I use the singular "Terminator", as I am assuming you have a B&G wired wind sensor (eg. WS508, WS608), because they include the terminating resistor and should be connected directly to the NMEA 2000 backbone and not as a drop-cable.

It seems like the NMEA 2000 network is powered correctly (check the voltage on the NMEA 2000 power cable pairs (red & black). Similarly measure the resistance across the CAN-H and CAN-L (white & blue) which should be 60 ohms.

One of these connectors is a useful tool for helping to break out the NMEA 2000 power & data pairs. As others have indicated, take care not to short the cables!

Seems like the Zeus has "lost" the setting for the wind data source. This can occur if the CAN Bus address number for the wind sensor has changed. Have you added or disconnected any devices on the network recently? Devices automatically assign CAN Bus addresses when they are powered-on and any change in the network may cause them to arbitrate their addresses.

First of all, to see if the Zeus can "see" the wind sensor, goto Settings->Network->Devices. It should list all of the devices connected and powered-up on the NMEA 2000 network.

Secondly, goto Settings->Network->Sources and see if a source is currently selected for Apparent Wind and True Wind.

If not, either manually add a source, or goto Settings->Network->Sources and select Auto Select. The Zeus should then scan the devices on the NMEA 2000 network and automagically assign sources to the respective devices.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2023, 05:59   #8

now it seems vesper sees the info from the wind instruments intermitantly, mostly it does not. I will check the conections and the voltage on the network.
Thanks for giving me this info. Its going to be a b iog help.
Old 29-03-2023, 06:14   #9

Boat: Contest 35S

Hello everyone, I join this thread because my problem is similar. I have the B&G Network system with Speed, Depth, Wind, Tack, Nav, Data and as an autopilot ACP2 with Pilot. Everything is working correctly at the moment. The boat is located in Spain 2500km away. I plan to switch to N2K and use an Actisense NWM-1 to feed the NMEA 0183 data of wind, speed and depth into the N2K system. For this I have set up a test system here at home with 12V, wind display, MHU-486,. Works perfectly so far, display gets correct data of wind direction and wind speed. Now the problem: I am not getting any NMEA 0183 sentences/signals from the wind display. I connected a male connection cable to the female end of the display (on the left seen from the back), grab the green wire with the alleged NMEA signal and the black one as 0 volts and send it to a multiplexer with RS232-USB to my PC. No signal! No matter which wire combination I use, there is no data. To check I connected other NMEA devices (GPS) to the multiplexer, the signal is good there. I exchanged the wind display for another wind display, also no signal. Question: What are the requirements to get the NMEA 0183 data from the display? I've read all the relevant wiring information regarding B&G here in the forum and tried to take note of it. Can't get any further and have no idea why no data sets are coming.
Sorry for my bad englisch
zamino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 17:29   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripfast View Post
My B&G wired wind instrument dropped off the NEMA 2000 network. I get nothing anywhere. Looks fine from the deck and I changed the fuse on my network. Everything else is talking and receiving.
Any know how to see if its dead?
Hi, hope this is fixed by now. But a friend found a network cable had been damaged in the hold on the way to the mast. A toolbox rubbing on it cut it part way.
Solarken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2023, 17:37   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen_MO View Post

Since it is wired I would presume you want to test (verify snug/tight connections and/or reseat) your NMEA T connections for the instrument and immediatly upstream of any devises not showing up in your device list. Make sure your terminator is good on the end of your network. Swap it out to test. Swap out any T connector you think might be a problem for empiracal testing. Measure voltage on the network. Find the NMEA 2K pinout TURN OFF THE N2K power, and insert two small copper wires in any female connector into the + and - be sure to dogleg them away from each other, fence them off with electical tape MAKE SURE THEY DO NOT TOUCH. When multimeter DC voltage meter is connected, turn on the N2K power. Should be 12V or above. If not check the T connector that is the power supply to make sure connections are good and you have a well connected ground. Assuming your wind sensor and wire is good that tests about everything I can think of around it.
Stephen,
You seem to know a thing or 3 on these.

Mine is wireless. In the network under devices it shows all. Charge info, wind speed, wind apparent angle. All good.

Now, on my Zeus 3 I cannot see any wind data. Unless I’m in the wind steering screen and using the autopilot.

?????

Why can’t I pull up the wind data alone??? There must be a way to see it. It’s crazy!!

Thank you for your help.

Capt Kenny
Old 29-06-2023, 15:56   #12

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

@Solarken, go into settings > Network > Sources > Apparent Wind ... check the source + reselect your WS320 if necessary. Next do the same with True Wind, in a modern system with NAC3 and no sailing processor (H5000/TritonEdge) this should be "This Display" or something like that.

With an AC42/H5000/TritonEdge you can also choose one of those devices as source for True Wind.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 16:00   #13

Boat: KMY Stadtship 56

@Zamino, NMEA0183 debugging can be painful. I always use a cheap €60 oscilloscope to verify there are actually signals that make sense; with a little trouble you can discern what the baud rate is. This takes away half of the uncertainty. Then look at the signal levels, determine whether it is RS-232 or 422 and get a proper adapter for those levels. In your case you already have one but the setup for baud rate is now easier.
merrimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2023, 16:52   #14

Very Cool �� can you get a 12v scope?
Old 29-06-2023, 16:52   #15

Funny! Just got it figured out this afternoon with some help!

Thank You ����

Tags
instruments, men, rum, wind