Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2018, 19:45   #76

Boat: Passport 40
Re: B&G Zeus 3

Don't get confused re: B&G, Lowrance and Simrad. They are all sister companies....and they wire up the same way...in other words, the N2K networking for them all is the same. Drop cables from each device to a T or to a multi connector, and then terminators on both ends, Power into the middle.

I see you have the Zeus3 and a radar. Technically, you could plug the radar into the Radar Interface Box....then used the Ethernet plug into the Zeus3....and it will give you radar on the screen. It's only if you want to be able to do Radar overlay, that will require the RI10 connect to a N2K backbone. You could get a SimNet cable, cut off an end and use a Male field installable N2K connector. But why? They make the SimNet to N2K (Male) cable, and it would be less expensive than a SimNet Cable and Field Installable End.

As for wiring diagram....all we have for these products are what they give us. But you can go to www.maretron.com and look at their diagrams. They aren't Simrad/B&G/Lowrance specific...but they have lots of them to look at.
Old 05-03-2018, 05:11   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlylelk View Post
I bought the Z3 and 4G radar. I'm going through the install manuals and it's a bit confusing. The one wiring diagram for NEMA 2000 only includes Lowrance and Simrad. The other one includes B&G with Lowrance and Simrad, but only shows a SimNet.

I suppose I can use the wiring diagram for NEMA 2000, even though it doesn't include the B&G gear. If so the RI10 interface is connected to the Z3 via ethernet, and to N2K backbone by a SimNet Cable and a SimNet to N2K adapter. Can I just get the SimNet Cable, cut the end off and use a field connection to the N2K backbone?

Can someone point me to a better resource for a wiring diagram?

Thanks,
Duane
The N2K cable connects directly to the Z3 on the socket marked NMEA2000.
Spyderpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 08:17   #78

Boat: Passport 40

Yes, it does....that is both the blessing and curse of N2K parts. They will fit in places where they don't go.

A N2K system is designed to require all devices plug into an N2k backbone. Your Zeus drops into the backbone. The Radar Box connects to the backbone. And even though both your Zeus and Radar have their own power....that backbone must still have a power drop, and it must have terminators on both ends.

The only variation allowed is that a wind instrument can be plugged into one of the end termination spots (Wind instruments have a terminator in them). If you just try to plug the RI10 directly into the Zeus, it won't work. Unless Navico has changed something about N2K....and I don't think so.