Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2024, 13:51   #1

B&G Zeus 3s not showing Ocean Signal MOB1 AIS test

We have Ocean Signal MOB1s for our PFDs. I programmed them and did the DSC test. All good.

I did the AIS test several times but nothing pops up on our chart plotter. I know it’s working though because a neighbor said it popped up each time on his chart plotters.

I can’t find anything in the Zeus manual about where to change the setting for SARTs. We have other alarms set, including for dangerous vessels, and they work fine. The boat and each MOB1 have separate MMSI numbers, so I would think it would pick them up as a target and not think it’s part of my boat.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks.
LetsGo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 03:32   #2

Boat: Stern50
Re: B&G Zeus 3s not showing Ocean Signal MOB1 AIS test

"Older" plotters do not know the SART AIS is a separate class. I have a Lowrance plotter and it shows the SART and MOB AIS-es as normal boats, not as a red cross in a red circle (which i would have hoped for).

It would mean an update of the plotter system software, but it seems Navico doesn't bother.
RonaldL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 04:38   #3

Just performed a simple test on a Vulcan 7R (Software Version 20.2, Application 64.3.46). I would expect similar behaviour for your Zeus 3s?

I can confirm it does correctly display AIS SART, EPIRB and MOB active alerts (the AIS nav status value is 14) and test alerts (the AIS nav status value is 15), however the alert dialogue does not appear to differentiate between active or test alerts.

Also if you view the "vessel details", the AIS Target dialogue does not give any indication that it is an AIS SART, EPIRB or MOB alert, and even the Navigation Status field is incorrect (Shows as 'Safe')

No configuration is required for the chartplotter to display these alerts.

IIRC, DSC Distress Alerts are also displayed correctly but be aware that there is no such thing as a DSC Distress Alert Test, From the manual, the MOB 1 sends a DSC Routine Call for its DSC Test but I can't remember what, if anything the Zeus displays for DSC Routine Calls.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-03-11_20.53.42.png
Views:	24
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	287475   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-03-11_21.05.14.png
Views:	20
Size:	105.0 KB
ID:	287476  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2024-03-11_21.08.04.png
Views:	21
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	287477  
stevead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 05:21   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonaldL View Post
"Older" plotters do not know the SART AIS is a separate class. I have a Lowrance plotter and it shows the SART and MOB AIS-es as normal boats, not as a red cross in a red circle (which i would have hoped for).

It would mean an update of the plotter system software, but it seems Navico doesn't bother.
Thanks Ronald. That’s not our situation. This one is only 3 years old and has a full array of target icons from an update about a year ago.
Old 11-03-2024, 05:25   #5

Thanks Stevead. Our neighbor who received our signal also has Vulcan and it popped up on his screen and didn’t differentiate between a test and actual MOB either. I’m trying to get a hold of Ocean Signal and Navico to see if I can get any additional information. I’ll share what I find here.
Old 11-03-2024, 06:42   #6

Perhaps open a support case with Navico. If you go to settings - network - NMEA2000 - diagnostics and save a capture file, that may be of use to them.

Unlikely to be an issue with the MOB1 as an AIS SART. EPIRB or MOB Alert are standard AIS messages, albeit handled differently because of the MMSI prefix (970 for SART. 972 for MOB and 974 for EPIRB) and a different. Navigation Status value (14 for Active. 15 for Test).

Although the question has to be asked, have you changed the MMSI number for your MOB1's

Did your neighbour with the Vulcan, display AIS or DSC alerts?
stevead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2024, 07:20   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevead View Post
Perhaps open a support case with Navico. If you go to settings - network - NMEA2000 - diagnostics and save a capture file, that may be of use to them.

Unlikely to be an issue with the MOB1 as an AIS SART. EPIRB or MOB Alert are standard AIS messages, albeit handled differently because of the MMSI prefix (970 for SART. 972 for MOB and 974 for EPIRB) and a different. Navigation Status value (14 for Active. 15 for Test).

Although the question has to be asked, have you changed the MMSI number for your MOB1's

Did your neighbour with the Vulcan, display AIS or DSC alerts?
Our neighbor saw AIS alerts like you saw. We used the MMSI numbers printed on each one for programming, so each one and the boat all have different numbers. I contacted Ocean Signal in case they had notes from other customers having this problem. I’ll look into opening a support case with Navico. Thanks!

Tags
ais, mob