Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-06-2024, 20:33   #1

Question B&G Zeus 3S uses magnetic north on chart?

Trying to make sense of the attached picture… heading is 000°, display is set to North Up. However clearly we are heading 5-7°ish degrees East. I also notice the “M” after the heading in the header bar, which I assume stands for Magnetic?

Am I interpreting this correctly? Is this how everyone else is doing it? Seems strange but what do I know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0967.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	422.1 KB
ID:	291137  
silvercreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2024, 21:33   #2

Re: B&G Zeus 3S uses magnetic north on chart?

If you do not navigate in magnetic, just reset the options of your MFD to use True headings.

One way is not "better" they are different, and for different needs. Pick one and use it consistently.
SailingHarmonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2024, 22:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHarmonie View Post
If you do not navigate in magnetic, just reset the options of your MFD to use True headings.

One way is not "better" they are different, and for different needs. Pick one and use it consistently.
As far as I can tell there is no way to do that for my MFD. I’d love to be proven wrong
silvercreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 01:50   #4

Perhaps a case of RTFM together with learning what the mnemonic "True Virgins Make Dull Companions Add Whiskey" means.

The Status bar "A 000M" indicates that your autopilot is engaged in Auto mode and is steering 0° M. Note that the Autopilot setting is also displayed in the side bar.

The chart display orientation can be set to either "North Up", "Heading Up", "Course Up" or "Look Ahead".
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 03:48   #5

Boat: Hunter 340

It is the opposite. Looks like the chart is true north up and you are on a course of 0 degrees magnetic.
Statistical is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2024, 04:05   #6

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

North Up on chart plotters is always True North. Due to variation at different places on the globe, orientating a chart to Magnetic North would be impossible (consider an electronic chart covering a whole ocean). To see the variation/declination on a global scale you would use an Isogonic chart.

If you want bearings to correspond to your compass then they should be given as Magnetic. If the autopilot is sailing on a bearing as opposed to a WP then it to will be steering on a Magnetic course. Instrumentation including the AP can take account of the Magnetic variation, using in built isogonic values based on your location and display bearings as True which can be confusing.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote