Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2020, 00:34   #1

B&g Zeus displaying own boat AIS.

Hi all, I have an issue.

I have B&G Zeus3 12 with NAIS 500. Recently I see my own boat on the Zeus, however the MMSI is not my own Mmsi. It displays a weird MMSI number (1072745152) which is not mine.

This happened after I upgraded the NAIS to the latest version a couple of days ago.

I restarted my NAIS500 as well as the Splitter and the whole Nav equipment. Still shows the wrong MMSI as well as my own boat on my Zeus3.

I downloaded the NAIS Configurator, my boat details as well as my boat MMSI are correct. I also checked the VHF MMSI, it is correct and I have check the Zeus3 boat vessel setting, the mmsi is also correct there.

Appreciate any advice here.
aelyafi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 11:31   #2

Re: B&g Zeus displaying own boat AIS.

Simrad screens always show your own boat untill you program your mmsi into the screen. Which is really odd. (No other screen does this)

I bet you have yours entered, otherwise you would have seen it before. But now you have a problem with the ais. Sending a wrong mmsi out? If you entered that wrong mmsi into your screen it would probably go away. But that doesn’t fix the real issue. I would get on another bost with ais and check what number yours is sending. I bet it’s sending that wrong number out.

Or see if it shows up on shipfinder.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2020, 11:44   #3

Boat: Lagoon 42 OV

I had the same issue. My BnG saw my NAIS as another boat. If you change the MMSI in the transponder reciver you need to go to the BnG Zeus menu, I think it's under a settings submenu, and put your MMSI in there.

You can not (in the USA) put a MMSI in a transponder reciver without a FCC licsense. So I thought initially I was screwed. You can, I found out enter your own MMSI into your BnG.

Please be aware you may have the same issue with the radio.

This all started with my BnG VHF going bad doing an upgrade, they sent me a new one, upgradded and blank, and I 'smartly' decided to change the MMSI from the previous owner to my MMSI. This resulted in collision alarms because the radio has an AIS reciever as well. I had 3 BnG 'experts' out to the boat and they changed the MMSI on the NAIS for me but put a 0 instead of an 8 in it.

Many trials and errors later I had the same MMSI in the radio and the NAIS, but then the BnG kept seeing my new Radio/NAIS as a separate boat and I got collision alarms on the radar.

I finally went thru the BnG menus at the helm and go to a place where it let me enter my MMSI. I did so and problem was solved.

If I get to the boat this week ill try to find that sub menu and post pics/step by step.

Please look very closely at the MMSI the 0 and 8 admittedly look very similar. Also do you have a hand held on the boat that could send out AIS or other device?
Old 10-10-2020, 12:21   #4

Boat: Cape George 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DockDoc View Post
I had the same issue. My BnG saw my NAIS as another boat. If you change the MMSI in the transponder reciver you need to go to the BnG Zeus menu, I think it's under a settings submenu, and put your MMSI in there.
I literally did this just yesterday (installing new Zeus and updating some sensors). Its the system setup menu.

The thing I've noticed is, it shows vessel MMSI's on the chart but not the boat names. It will show the speed, direction info, but the names are just not filling in. I have an older Raymarine AIS500 but that picked up names with my old plotter. I'm wondering if it was just overwhelmed at trying to collect them since I was in a harbor LOADED with targets.

Does that sound right? Will they eventually start to fill in?
AuroraGH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, boat