Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2015, 19:55   #61

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: B&G Zeus MFD - Has Anyone Tried it ?

Quote:
it does provide NMEA 0183 data over wifi, so you can connect any NMEA client such as OpenCPN.
Awesome!
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2015, 19:57   #62

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Awesome!
The only problem is the high repored failure rates.. Seems like a crapshoot if you get a good one..
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 11:18   #63

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

There are many different methods for getting the NMEA 0183 data in the gofree wifi router. The method we used is feeding the NMEA data in the B&G Zeus2 plotter. From there it gets put on to N2K and ethernet which finally gets to the gofree wifi router. OpenCPN is then connected to the gofree router and the NMEA 0183 as well as 4G radar are available. IF you did not have a B&G or Simrad router it can still be done but a bit more complex.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 13:07   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I know a couple of features the Zeus2 has over regular Zeus.

1. C-Map, Navionics, and Insight chart compatibility. I think the Zeus only supports Navionics and Insight.

2. Faster processor (already mentioned)

3. 2 Memory card slots on Zeus2

4. Zeus2 has Racepanel (geared to racing boats).

5. Zeus2 has a "slightly" higher resolution (very slight).

Thats about it!

I think Zeus 2 also will support the fwd looking sonar, and zeus won't. I ordered a zeus 2 but got a zeus. I'll get over it, but did want to try that fwd looking sonar

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 20:51   #65

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

I believe "Race Panel" only works in full functionality mode with the B&G H5000.

I would love to hear differently.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2015, 22:27   #66

Boat: Easy Sarah 40' cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think Zeus 2 also will support the fwd looking sonar, and zeus won't. I ordered a zeus 2 but got a zeus. I'll get over it, but did want to try that fwd looking sonar...
I've been through the same decision. Fwd scan looks good if you only need a transducer.

But B&G displays require a SonarHub to connect a fwd scan transducer.

Fwd scan can plug direct into the Simrad MFD. SonarHub costs near as much as the 7" Simrad! I ended up with the 12" Zeus Touch too.
sea-bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2015, 03:43   #67

I am going to take this big equipment to my small boat to see if it will fit. The big decision is where to mount the display. Since I sit forward of the wheel when steering normally and since I can see this size disply from behind the helm quite easily, it can go under the dodger, on a heavy long swing arm in companionway or surface mount in cabin above the seat. Since there are normally just two of us, is the surface mount on starboard side opposite eng panel and instruments, a reasonable location? We have been avoiding doing this cutout for years now and it will definitely change the boat inside. I will have to make some cabinetry to cover the back and wires. Any thoughts?
Old 17-10-2015, 03:49   #68

Of course it could be mounted on the helm above thecompass, but it would look ridiculously high and dominant, I've seen this on a Saber. Also our 24 year old radar screen is mounted on the side of the helm and it gets in the way, and cant be seen when sitting forward. I always add or subtract 90 and use side lubber lines to keep a course when sitting forward.
Old 17-10-2015, 03:53   #69

I am just going to use my raymarine instruments for depth. What I'd like is a rudder sensor and the more accurate airmar heading sensor which would both make a big difference in autopilot keeping a course.
Old 23-11-2015, 18:32   #70

Am I going to be able to put the display in standby and still use the data coming from the bus?
Also, can the radar still work provided there is another device that can read it?
Also with the wifi module on and the display off or on standby will tablet devices be receiving data? I'd rather not use that energy all the time if at all possible.
Old 23-11-2015, 19:27   #71

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Am I going to be able to put the display in standby and still use the data coming from the bus? YES
Also, can the radar still work provided there is another device that can read it? YES
Also with the wifi module on and the display off or on standby will tablet devices be receiving data? I'd rather not use that energy all the time if at all possible.YES
However as a caveat, it works on my setup but may not on yours unless your setup is exactly like mine.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2016, 06:53   #72

Re: B&G Zeus MFD - Installation Questions

Thankyou Northwest Sailor. That is helpful.

Now comes the nitty gritty questions.

Power 12vdc
- B&G Zeus Touch 12 - Separate power cable
- RI10 Radar - Integral cable
- Nmea2000 bus - How do I power this? Is it a special cable?
- Future AIS/Wifi Power - Vesper XB-8000

I was thinking of wiring the ZeusT12 and RI10 off the same breaker and the Nmea2000 bus and Vesper off of another breaker. (will fuses be needed?)

With the Chartplotter running, will I be able to set radar to standby and turn it off?

Then if I power off the Chartplotter & Radar at the breaker leaving the Nmea2000 & Vesper XB-8000 on I will be able to broadcast wifi to tablets with the Nmea0183 data from my instruments and any heading data that is on the bus (If I eventually get a 10hz Compass).

Perhaps it is advisable to have separate breakers for the ZeusT12 and RI10? or maybe I just power all of it off the same breaker and provide separate fuses? - Looking for Pros and Cons here.

In looking at the RI10 unit there is a connector that appears to be 5 pin, and it looks like the Nmea2000 connectors should fit, but it does not. I assume this is for connecting the Nmea2000 bus to the RI10 so that heading data can get to the radar.

What connector is supposed to be used on the RI10 for the Nmea2000?

Also what cable is used to power the Nmea2000 bus? Have not seen details about that.

The other question inherent in this the Pros and Cons of using Vesper XB-8000 vs GoFree wifi What would I loose by going with Vesper XB-8000? It looks like it is an improvement to me, but perhaps there is some integrate aspect that I do not know about.
Old 16-03-2016, 07:01   #73

Re: B&G GoFree

It looks like the GoFree app allows control of your ZeusT12 Screen.

Quote:
..allowing multiple tablets or smartphones to be used to view B&G network data. The WIFI-1 connects to B&G Zeus Touch, Zeus² and Zeus² Glass Helm via Ethernet and supports wireless connectivity using 802.11 b+g wireless protocols.
Does this mean you can view the radar overlay on your android?

Quote:
Multiple B&G Zeus Touch, Zeus² and Zeus² Glass Helm units can be used with just one WIFI-1 module, meaning that an entire system can be online with just the addition of one handy wireless gateway.
Does this mean you can have one Chartplotter fully connected with the GoFree wifi and then have another that just has power connected with no data wires, yet it gets all the same data via wifi, including radar, etc.?

- No I don't think so.

But the App sounds like it might have some use.
Old 16-03-2016, 07:37   #74

Re: Vesper AIS Wifi XB-8000

Of course there is always the Vesper Watchmate App which works with XB-8000. It obviously does not permit control of the ZeusT12 but it does give access to instrument data, AIS and other Vesper information.

Also if I am running Opencpn on the android, I don't really need access to the ZeusT12, and then I can save that power. Of course T12 Radar standby / off and T12 standby can also help.

The only thing I don't really get is the Radar in this setup, which is fine.
Old 16-03-2016, 07:58   #75

Some other details here.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ns-160190.html