Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2024, 12:47   #1

B&G Zeus3 not finding instruments

Own Beneteau 38.1 with B&G Zeus3 system.

I rebuilt my TST wind vane with a new speed bearing, reconnected and now the Zeus 3 doesn't see it.

I did a reset (big mistake i think) and now the Zeus doesn't see the DST speed/depth transducer either.

When i go to the "sources" list on the Zeus, then to wind speed or depth or boat speed these sensors do not show. IE the Zeus is NOT seeing any of these sensors now.

Does anyone know how to get the Zeus to find these instruments?
Unstoppable381 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2024, 13:19   #2

Boat: Oyster 435
Re: B&G Zeus3 not finding instruments

I have a B&G system also and wish I could help. If it were me I'd check connections on the NEMA 2000 backbone along with the mast head connection for the wind sensor. If it all started when you changed out the wind transducer then that connection is a good place to start (although one of the hardest). I've had good luck with the B&G Zeus 3 kit and the only failure was the masthead wind transducer. There is a knowedgable help group for B&G on Facebook that may be worth your effort. B&G customer suppoert "not so much". Good luck.
Tsuru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2024, 13:57   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstoppable381 View Post
When i go to the "sources" list on the Zeus, then to wind speed or depth or boat speed these sensors do not show. IE the Zeus is NOT seeing any of these sensors now.

Just a guess, and you might already know this - but Nmea2000 is very finicky about the cabling. If you add a device, or make a change, you need to keep a proper backbone with drops to equipment, and the ends need to be terminated.
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2024, 21:40   #4

For what it's worth, if I power up the VHF, then backbone and Tritons, then Zeuss 12s, it will see the wind sensor (wired BnG), but if I power up the backbone first, then VHF, then Zeuss it will not detect the wind sensor. I did not install the system, but it's not particularly old and all routings seem legit. Showed it to a local pro installer, he cold not figure it out what's going on.
Jackdaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2024, 01:43   #5

Boat: Sun Odyssey 45.2

If you are on FB you can try to ask here.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/117021058359123
Recy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2024, 09:43   #6

Quote:
I rebuilt my TST wind vane with a new speed bearing
What's a TST Wind Vane ?

Does the wind vane have a NMEA 2000 interface at the base of the mast, or does the NMEA 2000 cable go up the mast ?

I would start by testing the NMEA 2000 network for both correct voltage across the power pairs (9-12v) and the correct resistance across the data pairs (60 ohms)

Plenty of guides on the internet, here's one

After that, start by disconnecting individual devices and see if the Zeus detects all of the connected devices. With a bit of luck you might discover a faulty T-piece , drop cable or device.
stevead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2024, 09:56   #7

Thanks much. I've come to the conclusion that it is likely I've lost NMEA2000 power. Zeus can't find wind vane or DST depth/speed, PLUS VHF gets no GPS signal.

Will be finding power cable next and checking fuse. Unfortunately with Beneteau nothing is easy...like locating the power cable. Not even sure it's the classic yellow with inline fuse as I don't find anything like that anywhere.
Old 17-04-2024, 10:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstoppable381 View Post
Thanks much. I've come to the conclusion that it is likely I've lost NMEA2000 power. Zeus can't find wind vane or DST depth/speed, PLUS VHF gets no GPS signal.

Will be finding power cable next and checking fuse. Unfortunately with Beneteau nothing is easy...like locating the power cable. Not even sure it's the classic yellow with inline fuse as I don't find anything like that anywhere.
Groupe Beneteau support has been fairly decent, providing wiring diagrams upon request with a hull #.
Jackdaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2024, 10:11   #9

That's good to know. I will make that request.

Boat is 2019 but I bought used and not all docs are there

Thanks!

Tags
instruments, men, rum