Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2021, 19:14   #1

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115
Basic instrument displays

We have 30+ year old analog instruments aboard... which don't work at least half the time. I'll be setting up a Raspberry Pi with OpenPlotter (OpenCPN) and NMEA 0183 & 2000 PICAN M HAT for the network and logging.

MHU produces standard NMEA 0183 MWV data sentence. Potentially looking at upgrading thru-hull to the Airmar DST810 multisensor or separate ultrasonic speed data and depth transducers that will also produce standard VHW and VLW NMEA sentences. So far... so good.

Where I'm getting lost - is the instrument displays. Basic 4" screen, don't even need super programmable multifunctional interfaces of full-out LED displays. Just a basic wind direction arrow and a number for wind speed. Same for a second display that shows depth and speed through water. Two displays, two dumb devices that read and display standard NMEA data sentence.

Are there any options that won't cost a thousand bucks for a minimal 2-display setup? Yes, I know... marine "surcharge" and all. But I can't accept two displays with 10-year old technology cost more than a new iPhone.

Yes, I can sail by feeling the wind, tell tales, wind vane, etc. And I often do. But... if I want dumb displays that read NMEA - are there any viable, reliable, budget options?
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 20:48   #2

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer
Re: Basic instrument displays

There is a page for Dashboards but I haven't found out how they actually work...

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/e...mentpanel.html
Old 08-02-2021, 20:58   #3

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlWer View Post
There is a page for Dashboards but I haven't found out how they actually work...

https://openplotter.readthedocs.io/e...mentpanel.html
I'll work out the dashboards for tablet use and otherwise, but still need a device on which to display it from OpenCPN. My preference would be to have dedicated instrument displays over the companion way, which is where they're currently located.
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 21:24   #4

Boat: Bristol 27 #182, MystereS 17' Catamaran #531
Send a message via Skype™ to EarlWer

What about finding 2 old tablets with wifi.
You should be able to generate html from the OpenCPN values (or something similar) and share them over the wifi network.
Point the tablet browser to the shared pages...

I have a few old Toshiba AT270s that need a new life...
Old 08-02-2021, 21:58   #5

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

This may not be exactly what you are looking for but I thought I might add it to this thread anyway as extra information about additional exterior displays.

There is another thread here https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ys-235575.html with interesting links and info about using a Kindle Paperwhite for instrument displays.

Waterproof(ish) and around 100USD(ish)

IPX8 and can withstand immersion in up to 2 meters of fresh water for up to 60 minutes (More info: https://www.amazon.com/b?node=18116670011)

jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, rum