Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2019, 12:10   #1

Boat: Lippincott 30
Beeping Breaker

Installing new radio. PO said the old one never worked and it looked to me like the + - was switched because of a confusion with white/black wires. I seem to have no power from the supply wires with any breaker being on and the one marked nav/com beeps when you switch it to on. What does the beep mean?
I guess my next step is to track the wires back to confirm they come from that breaker then I guess replace the breaker?
SV Saranya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 15:04   #2

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Re: Beeping Breaker

A circuit breaker that beeps seems unlikely. I bet one of your instruments is beeping when it gets power, like a depth display or plotter. That also makes me think your breaker is fine.

Yes, trace the wires. If the wires that are in place do actually connect to the panel, I'd bet big dollars there is a blown inline fuse between the panel and the ends you checked for voltage. Find and replace with the appropriate size fuse.

The way you worded your post makes me think you have very little experience with electricity. Nothing wrong with that, we all need to start somewhere. I would start with Don Casey's book, Sailboat Electrics Simplified. You should be diagnosing and making proper repairs after you read and understand that.
Old 03-03-2019, 16:45   #3

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Beeping Breaker

Hehe my experience is with old cars and tractors with 6 volt systems and not much as far as accessories so this is new territory for me. Always in for a new book! There is a depth sounder display near the panel maybe that’s what I am hearing.
SV Saranya is offline   Reply With Quote