Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2022, 15:45   #31

Re: Bent and stuck antenna, how did that happen?

birds.
vk4hr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 16:33   #32

Yes, the pins are too long, but that is really not a serious problem.

I'd be more concerned about the D-shackle that appears to be holding the forestay just above the roller top bearing. The photo (in the original post) is not especially clear, but

1) the pin does not appear be moused (i.e., secured with a monel wire against unscrewing itself), and

2) with the over-long pins in the backstay triangle, the swaged eye and the two lugs on the triangle are reasonably close together, so the extra length of the pin is not stressed and comes to no harm. But with a shackle, the swaged eye can be some distance from the arms of the shackle, and this means there is a strong bending moment on the pin. Shackles are really not intended for use as part of standing rigging.

The presence of the shackle(s?—on closer inspection, it looks like there could be three of them in series!) and the use of over-long pins (not to mention the curious bit of insulation tape decorating the triangle) makes me nervous about the rest of the rig. Were I in your shoes, I'd get a trustworthy professional to inspect it all very thoroughly.
Mike Burch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 16:40   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

A strong wind during a thunderstorm could have whipped it back is my 2c...
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 16:44   #34

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Burch View Post
Yes, the pins are too long, but that is really not a serious problem.

I'd be more concerned about the D-shackle that appears to be holding the forestay just above the roller top bearing. The photo (in the original post) is not especially clear, but

1) the pin does not appear be moused (i.e., secured with a monel wire against unscrewing itself), and

2) with the over-long pins in the backstay triangle, the swaged eye and the two lugs on the triangle are reasonably close together, so the extra length of the pin is not stressed and comes to no harm. But with a shackle, the swaged eye can be some distance from the arms of the shackle, and this means there is a strong bending moment on the pin. Shackles are really not intended for use as part of standing rigging.

The presence of that shackle and the use of over-long pins (not to mention the curious bit of insulation tape decorating the triangle) makes me nervous about the rest of the rig. Were I in your shoes, I'd get a trustworthy professional to inspect it all very thoroughly.
Hi Mike,

Thanks for reviewing and giving your feedback. This is my first sailboat and first season with it so I really have nothing to compare anything too. steep learning curve that I am getting close to the top of before realizing there is always another one waiting. lol.

That shackle is not on the forestay, that is for my Genakker which is on a top down karver fuller. The forestay with my Jib is a little further down which you can see in the first picture too.

I did get the rigging checked in the spring and tensioned by a reputable company but I think I will get someone to come by and give the whole boat a once over this fall and make sure I am taking care of all the maintenance needed and learning what I need to look for.
bccoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna