Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-09-2018, 13:53   #1

BEST APPS FOR IRIDIUM GO

I've read terrible reviews of the email and web apps that come with Iridium GO.

Has anyone found apps that work best with iPad or Samsung Galaxy?

Thx.
KatMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2018, 15:26   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: BEST APPS FOR IRIDIUM GO

Sorry but reminded me of a favorite rant
https://youtu.be/TviGil-U2HE
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 02:56   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatMarine View Post

Thx.

I think the apps which come with Go are heavily optimized for bandwidth, and that makes them extremely clunky compared to what we are used to on land, but they work very well, at least the mail and text apps are very good in my experience.

The mail app will automatically shunt large emails ("Big Mail") into a separate folder so that you can decide whether to download them or not. You can set the threshold yourself. This is a crucial function -- without which someone sending you a relatively innocent attachment could irredeemably clog up your mail queue.

The Go connection is extremely slow -- like a 2400 baud modem -- so the bandwidth optimization is absolutely crucial.

I used my Go last summer with a Samsung ruggedized tablet (Tab Active). I would have liked to use email from my laptop, so would be interested if someone finds an email app which works as well as the standard Android one.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 14:22   #4
cruiser

Plenty of Android portable PCs out there hook up to full monitor / keyboard.

Also laptops, usually tablet "hybrids" like Lenovo Yoga and HP Slatebook.

One day ChromeOS will be seamless with all Android apps, Pixelbooks come pretty close may be just fine with the Go! apps.

There are Windows virtual-OS emulators too.
Old 01-10-2018, 17:14   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Plenty of Android portable PCs out there hook up to full monitor / keyboard.

Also laptops, usually tablet "hybrids" like Lenovo Yoga and HP Slatebook.

One day ChromeOS will be seamless with all Android apps, Pixelbooks come pretty close may be just fine with the Go! apps.

There are Windows virtual-OS emulators too.

I hooked up the Samsung with a bluetooth keyboard.

It was OK, but for work emails, many of which involving some kind of Word document or spreadsheet, I would have much preferred to be using my work laptop.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 01-10-2018, 17:31   #6
cruiser

Yes I'm not saying the perfect solution exists. Just helping raise awareness of alternatives that may be helpful for those not yet aware of them.

In your case it might be worth (next time you have the need) checking out the Windows emulators and seeing if the Go! apps work that way.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:59   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Yes I'm not saying the perfect solution exists. Just helping raise awareness of alternatives that may be helpful for those not yet aware of them.

In your case it might be worth (next time you have the need) checking out the Windows emulators and seeing if the Go! apps work that way.

That could work -- depending on how skillfully the emulator is able to get out the ports, I think.

But playing with computers is a black hole of time. I've gotten a lot of enjoyment out of this activity over my lifetime, but I really try to resist it on board, considering how long my list of undone projects and maintenance items always is. So I'll probably continue just using the stock apps on the Samsung tablet, and transferring files back and forth to my work laptop, unless Iridium or someone comes up with a really turnkey Windows app.
Walt Whitman
Old 11-10-2018, 19:00   #8

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Helia 44 - Hull #16

Quote:

Thx.
Not going to have too much luck with web apps, but you might want to look at Ocens OneMail as an alternative to the stock Iridium application. I found that after awhile I was okay with the stock app, but I am mostly just receiving Chris Parker weather forecasts. The Ocens app allows you to integrate existing email accounts.
AllenRbrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2018, 17:54   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45

OCENs is one option for more powerful email.

Another option is Xgate by Redport. The Iridium Mail and Web app is actually a stripped down version of Xgate and if you get the full Xgate subscription you can use their PC and Mac software, as well as webmail account, and access your email on networks other than the Iridium Go!

We run our business from our boat and use Xgate email for all of our email, over satellite, WiFi, and Cellular, saving us massive amounts of bandwidth and getting through even ridiculously unusable slow WiFi we find in most ports.

Xgate can also integrate your personal email through a built in fetching feature or you can forward from your personal email to Xgate. In any case, it provides a familiar interface for people using the Iridium Mail and Web app but adds a ton more power.

Another thing to consider is that when you stop your Iridium Go! service, the Iridium Mail is tied to that. With Xgate you can keep your Xgate account going irrespective of your satellite service, falling back to WiFi/Cell, changing to different Satellite services as needed, etc all without affecting your email.

Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenRbrts View Post
Not going to have too much luck with web apps, but you might want to look at Ocens OneMail as an alternative to the stock Iridium application. I found that after awhile I was okay with the stock app, but I am mostly just receiving Chris Parker weather forecasts. The Ocens app allows you to integrate existing email accounts.
Old 17-10-2018, 08:10   #10

So you pay for Iridium GO service and then pay for OCENS and/or XGate service on top of that?

Either one has an upfront service cost and monthly fees.
Old 17-10-2018, 09:05   #11
Marine Service Provider

Yes, the Iridium Go Airtime is whatever it is based on your needs, cruising schedule, and how you use it.

For the email service, Xgate or OCENS, you pay about $20/month (but annually) and there is a one time activation fee usually to start it up.

One thing to keep in mind though is that you aren't always outside of WiFi/Cell range, and you can use Xgate there as well, so you can save money by getting a cheaper, prepaid airtime plan for the Go, and only use it as needed when you are between Cell/WiFi coverage areas. 1000 data minutes prepaid is half the price per year of the unlimited monthly plan, as an example.

Just food for thought.

Quote:
So you pay for Iridium GO service and then pay for OCENS and/or XGate service on top of that?

Either one has an upfront service cost and monthly fees.
Old 19-10-2018, 14:09   #12

SVMOBERT I queried Predictwind who now sell the Iridium GO about a prepaid plan as I liked your tip. I wanted to switch to that. They told me they didn't sell prepaid plans anymore. You might have been grandfathered in.

I like prepaid plans. I have one with Verizon.
Old 19-10-2018, 14:51   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
SVMOBERT I queried Predictwind who now sell the Iridium GO about a prepaid plan as I liked your tip. I wanted to switch to that. They told me they didn't sell prepaid plans anymore. You might have been grandfathered in.

I like prepaid plans. I have one with Verizon.
PredictWind does a good job of making it seem like they are they only way to but PredictWind. But Iridium definitely does prepaid still and you can definitely get it. It requires a different sim card though. I am an Iridium, Xgate, and PredictWind reseller myself. If you wanted to switch to prepaid all you would need is a new sim and to load it with a voucher. It would change your satphone number of course but most people don't really give out their sat phone number.
Old 20-10-2018, 09:23   #14

Interesting. SVMobert, how much would that new sim card cost me? Would that sim rely on Xgate or could one also use it for OCENs mail? Would I also need to cancel Predictwind?
Old 20-10-2018, 09:40   #15
Marine Service Provider

New sim cards are about $20. Plus the prepaid service on top of that.

You can continue to use predict wind it you want, as that is independent of the iridium airtime. Also, Xgate and ocensmail are also independent of the iridium airtime. You can use any of them. I prefer Xgate because I use it regularly and it works well, and because I sell it, but nothing prevents you from using ocensmail, weather4d, predictwind, gate, etc with any active iridium sim card.

Tags
iridium