Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2016, 05:00   #136

Boat: Homebuilt True Grit 29'
Re: Best marine WiFi antenna?

f configuration is corrupted open Winbox or WebFig and look down the left menu and find FILES. Within there maybe a backup copy of the config that can be reloaded. Both devices have this feature that allows backup and restore of the setup.
RESET of a device changes IP address to 192.168.88.1 . If both have this address it is a conflict. Configure each device separately connected to laptop with a Ethernet cable using WebFig and a browser OR Winbox.
Groove Router Setup: (Antenna) WebFig v6.35.2
Groove must be powered by POE

Some of these setting may already be selected by default

1. Open up a browser and type in the following in the address bar: http://192.168.88.2/webfig/#
  2. Click on the top left menu option called 'Quick Set'
  3. Click on the small drop down menu on the top far right and choose CPE
  1. Under the 'Mode' heading on the right select 'Router' mode.
  2. Under 'Wireless Network' heading, the 'Address Acquisition' must be 'Automatic'.
  3. Under the 'Local Network' heading set the IP Address to
    • IP Address: 192.168.88.2
      Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0/24
  4. Now configure the Groove as a DHCP SERVER, use the following settings:
    • DHCP Server: Enable
      Start IP Address: 192.168.88.10
      End IP Address: 192.168.88.254
      Enable NAT by selecting NAT option
  5. Now we can press the 'Apply Configuration' button at bottom right
  6. Now select the IP menu option halfway down on the far left and select DNS
  7. Next to the Servers option click the little black down arrow and add the following address: 8.8.8.8
  8. Add a second Server address by clicking the next little black down arrow and add the following address: 208.67.222.222
  9. Place a tick in the option 'Allow Remote Requests' and then click the 'apply' button at the top
  10. Now return to the 'Quick Set' menu option and select the WiFi hotspot from the list on the left side of the main page
  11. You will now be asked for a password if one is required, enter this and then click the 'connect' button
  1. You should now be connected an an IP address should appear after a few seconds or so on the right under the 'Wireless Network' heading.
AP setup: (RB951 Router) WebFig v6.35.4
  1. Use a CAT5 cable to connect the AP (RB951) to your computer.
  2. Enable the router/AP as a an Access Point (AP or WISP AP)
  3. Set mode to Route
  4. Set a STATIC IP address:
    • IP Address: 192.168.88.3
      Netmask 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway: 192.168.88.1
  1. Now set up the Wireless by giving a 'Network Name', (SSID) like - MikroTik RB951
  2. LAN IP Address 192.168.88.3(/24)
    Netmask 255.255.255.0(/24)
  3. NO DHCP SERVER
  4. Check NAT
  5. Now select the IP menu option halfway down on the far left and select DNS
  6. Next to the Servers option click the little black down arrow and add the following address: 8.8.8.8
  7. Add a second Server address by clicking the next little black down arrow and add the following address: 208.67.222.222
  8. Set WIFI password.
  9. Shut down and attach Groove to RB951. For Groove to pull power from the 951 the cable must be in Port 5 which supplies POE.
  10. On your wireless device the new wireless AP should now show. Make a connection to that network.
  11. Then in a browser on your wireless device type - 192.168.88.2 in the location bar. WebFig should open. It may take a moment to propagate but in the center left you should see a list of the available WIFI hotspots being “seen” by the Groove. Select the desired one and enter the password if needed. Press 'Connect'. After a moment you should see an IP address and other items appear in the upper right. The network should now be active.
  12. If you want to see the configuration for the RB951 enter - 192.168.88.3 in the browser and enter WebFig for it.
  13. Once everything is working go to WebFig for each device and look down the left menu and find 'FILES'. Open it and save a copy of the configuration. These backups can be restored at a later date if a problem develops.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Groove 52HPN Setup.pdf (100.5 KB, 84 views)
raymacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:18   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
We have an islandtime unit, and it's been flawless. Support is awesome.
Hello,I am a liveaboard and looking to use a program called PDA.NET to use my phone as a modem.I am having a problem with it and no customer service.Are there any other programs like PDA.NET thats available?thanks
fucifino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:22   #138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Turtle View Post
Hi all, this is my first post so go easy on me

I've been researching marine Wifi antennas and need some advice or feedback. I live aboard and own my own business, so good internet connection is essential. As I've learned wifi connectivity in marinas seems to be quite spotty, slow and sometimes non existent. I have a data plan I use for my mifi at times when the marina is down, however, I'd like to get a wifi booster to help with the marinas signal as well as pick up any others in the area.

I've read several threads on this forum and others but must seem to be dated (2008-2010). I'm hoping to get more current feedback about any new systems out there or what's the best on the market at this time. Since my business relies on internet connectivity, I'm probably willing to spend a little more than the average person if the system warrants it. A few of the systems I'm looking at are below.

My parents are live a boards and they have the IslandTime system and have been happy with it and the support. Marine WiFi Systems

I've also read alot of good things about the WaveWiFi Rogue system - WaveWiFi Rogue- Land and Sea WiFi Provides Long Range Wifi Boosters for Boats, RVs, and Marinas

I also stumbled upon 5 Mile WiFi in a thread somewhere and it looks promising. 5MileWIFI.com

Many of these sites are hard to understand with the technical info they show and everyone seems to claim to be the best one. I really want to improve the speed of the connection, availability of other hotspots out there and want something that will weather the marine environment well.

Any advice/feedback is much appreciated!

Kim and Randy
Blue Turtle
Blue Turtle Trawler - Life Aboard a 40' DeFever Trawler
Hello,I am a liveaboard and looking to use a program called PDA.NET to use my phone as a modem.I can't get it to work and no customer service.Do any of you know of a program like that I can use?Thanks
fucifino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 10:29   #139

Boat: Homebuilt True Grit 29'

You don't mention what type of device you are using. Android, apple, windows?
raymacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 14:11   #140

Boat: Island Packet 35

Note on the Mikrotik Groove firmware. When I received my Groove, the first thing I did was upgrade it to the newest, latest and greatest firmware.

BAD MOVE. When I selected a SSID and tried to enter the password, the connection always failed because the password was not seen. A fellow boater told me last week to downgrade the firmware back to what came from the factory and like magic, the passwords starting working. thank goodness for that downgrade button.

I do have a question. Has anyone figured out the settings required to scan 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz simultaneously? I've tried several times but without success.
jhstacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 15:15   #141

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by fucifino View Post
Hello,I am a liveaboard and looking to use a program called PDA.NET to use my phone as a modem.I can't get it to work and no customer service.Do any of you know of a program like that I can use?Thanks
Why do you want to do that? most phones let you create a hotspot ( personal wifi zone) to connect to the internet. its really easy.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 18:25   #142

Boat: Spirit 28

Didn't read the entire thread (sorry), but this guy seems to know what he's doing.

https://sailbits.com/projects/grace-redundant-internet/

https://sailbits.com/projects/marina-wifi-hard/
Rusty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 21:50   #143

Boat: Symbol 55 Pilot House

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post
Didn't read the entire thread (sorry), but this guy seems to know what he's doing.

https://sailbits.com/projects/grace-redundant-internet/

https://sailbits.com/projects/marina-wifi-hard/
Thanks! That's my site/posts and I'm a big fan of having two different ways of getting an Internet connection - LTE / cellular via a Pepwave device and WiFi via a MikroTik.

I am using an updated antenna with my MikroTik, not the default one it came with. I don't have the model number handy right now but I can get it if needed.
notz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2017, 21:55   #144

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhstacy View Post
Note on the Mikrotik Groove firmware. When I received my Groove, the first thing I did was upgrade it to the newest, latest and greatest firmware.

BAD MOVE. When I selected a SSID and tried to enter the password, the connection always failed because the password was not seen. A fellow boater told me last week to downgrade the firmware back to what came from the factory and like magic, the passwords starting working. thank goodness for that downgrade button.

I do have a question. Has anyone figured out the settings required to scan 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz simultaneously? I've tried several times but without success.
I've used MikroTik a lot, and you can't as far as I know scan both bands (2.4 & 5Ghz) simultaneously. It's a bit annoying, but given the price compared to other solutions, and the quality/signal strength, I'm OK having to flip back and forth.
Old 23-05-2017, 04:33   #145
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

Quote:
Originally Posted by notz View Post
I've used MikroTik a lot, and you can't as far as I know scan both bands (2.4 & 5Ghz) simultaneously. It's a bit annoying, but given the price compared to other solutions, and the quality/signal strength, I'm OK having to flip back and forth.
To scan both 2.4 & 5 ghz bands you need to build a custom "Scan List" that contains both bands. The scan list is created in the "Channels" tab of the Wireless page. After you build the scan list you need to go to the wireless interface tab details page and change the scan list from "default" to your new custom scan list name.
Old 23-05-2017, 05:31   #146

I'm going to be trying this with a 4w transmitter..

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
MrWesson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 08:24   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
To scan both 2.4 & 5 ghz bands you need to build a custom "Scan List" that contains both bands. The scan list is created in the "Channels" tab of the Wireless page. After you build the scan list you need to go to the wireless interface tab details page and change the scan list from "default" to your new custom scan list name.
Wow! Great info. I never knew, and that will help a ton in scanning!
Old 23-05-2017, 10:34   #148

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWesson View Post
I'm going to be trying this with a 4w transmitter..

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Those are great antennas, but they are VERY directional. they need to be point directly at the target as they are not designed to be omni-directional.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 22:10   #149

Boat: Catalina 470

Hi, haven't read the whole 15 pages. The more recent posts have moved away from the more simple plug and play setups like Wifie and bullet etc.

Anything new on the market that is better and reasonably priced in the market?
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2018, 13:27   #150

Boat: Nauticat 42
Post Re: Best marine WiFi antenna?

Ok thought I'd post a round up. I have no affinity to any brands and was just doing my own research. I like data so here's what I found...

I went through 645 posts of a previous thread (page 45/90). While there were another 45 pages I'm not sure my eyeballs will survive much longer.

What I looked for were specific positive reviews by people who had actually installed systems on their boat.

Here's a summary of what I found:
  • +8 - Bullet2HP: Most popular by far, set-up requires some basic networking knowledge.
  • +5 - 5Mile: Easy set-up, doesn't like Macs
  • +5 - Alpha 500: Very portable. Probably best simple & cheap solution.
  • +1 - The WirieAP: Simple set-up
  • +1 - PepWave Surf400: Simple set-up
*I may have double counted one or two by accident but was relatively careful to keep tabs on names etc.

Most were using an 8db or 12db antenna. The general view was that smaller boats should use 8db as it has wider horizontal beam and 12db would suit larger boats/multihulls. Someone kindly linked actual test data which is here.

Worth mentioning I also found 5 +'ve mentions of the Engenius + an omni but that after 2010 people seemed to move towards the Ubiquity owing to it being easier, more modern and potentially more effective.

Tags
antenna, marine