Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2016, 04:30   #121

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Best marine WiFi antenna?

My experience with the Alfa is that the 2W unit did not work as well as the 1W version, I'm not sure why. But at only 400M distance the 1W version will work just fine based on my experience. I have used mine at distances 2-3 times that.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-06-2016, 18:34   #122

Boat: Homebuilt True Grit 29'

When trying to set up my WIFI system using a MikroTik Groove 52hpn and a MikroTik RB951 Router I found this thread. Although it didn't provide a workable solution for me I was able to stumble my way through and successfully configure the devices. I am not an expert at this and if someone sees something that doesn't make sense, is not needed or just plain WRONG please post the information. But this did work for me and I hope might help others.

Out of the box (or if reset) both devices will be assigned the same IP address of 192.168.88.1. Because of this you need to configure each individually before connecting them together on the network.

Groove Router Setup: (Antenna) WebFig v6.35.2
The layout of different firmware versions may differ slightly but the settings should be the same.

Connect the Groove 52 to a laptop or desktop using a Ethernet cable. Note! - The Groove must be powered by POE (Power Over Ethernet). Using the included Y type adapter insert the MALE Ethernet plug into your computer and use a patch cable to connect the FEMALE plug of the Y to the Groove. Use the included AC to DC power adapter to connect to the third leg of the Y cable.

1. Open up a browser and type in the following in the address bar: http://192.168.88.2/webfig/
  2. Click on the top left menu option called 'Quick Set'
  3. Click on the small drop down menu on the top far right and choose CPE
  4. Under the 'Mode' heading on the right select 'Router' mode.
  5. Under 'Wireless Network' heading, the 'Address Acquisition' must be 'Automatic'.
  6. Under the 'Local Network' heading set the IP Address to
    • IP Address: 192.168.88.2
      Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0/24
  7. Now configure the Router as a DHCP SERVER, use the following settings:
    • DHCP Server: Enable
      Start IP Address: 192.168.88.10
      End IP Address: 192.168.88.254
      Enable NAT by selecting NAT option
  8. Now we can press the 'Apply Configuration' button at bottom right
  9. Now select the IP menu option halfway down on the far left and select DNS
  10. Next to the Servers option click the little black down arrow and add the following address: 8.8.8.8
  11. Add a second Server address by clicking the next little black down arrow and add the following address: 208.67.222.222
  12. Place a tick in the option 'Allow Remote Requests' and then click the 'apply' button at the top
  13. Now return to the 'Quick Set' menu option and select the WiFi hotspot from the list on the left side of the main page
  14. You will now be asked for a password if one is required, enter this and then click the 'connect' button
  15. You should now be connected an an IP address should appear after a few seconds or so on the right under the 'Wireless Network' heading.
AP setup: (RB951 Router) WebFig v6.35.4
When setting up the RB951 The cable runs straight from the home computer to the device. I had no luck using Port #1 (I have no idea why) but Port #2 worked fine.

1. Use a CAT5 cable to connect the AP (RB951) to your computer.
  2. Enable the router/AP as a an Access Point (AP or WISP AP)
  3. Set mode to Route
  4. Set a STATIC IP address:
    • IP Address: 192.168.88.3/32
      Netmask 255.255.255.0
      Default Gateway: 192.168.88.2
  1. Now set up the Wireless by giving a 'Network Name', (SSID) like - MikroTik RB951
  2. LAN IP Address 192.168.88.3(/24)
    Netmask 255.255.255.0(/24)
  3. NO DHCP SERVER
  4. Check NAT
  5. Set WIFI password.
  6. Shut down and attach Groove to RB951. For Groove to pull power from the 951 the cable must be in Port 5 which supplies POE.
  7. On your wireless device the new wireless AP should now show. Make a connection to that network.
  8. Then in a browser on your wireless device type - 192.168.88.2 in the location bar. WebFig should open. It may take a moment to propagate but in the center left you should see a list of the available WIFI hotspots being “seen” by the Groove. Select the desired one and enter the password if needed. Press 'Connect'. After a moment you should see an IP address and other items appear in the upper right. The network should now be active.
  9. If you want to see the configuration for the RB951 enter - 192.168.88.3 in the browser and enter WebFig for it.
  10. Once everything is working go to WebFig for each device and look down the left menu and find 'FILES'. Open it and save a copy of the configuration. These backups can be restored at a later date if a problem develops.
When connecting in your boat use a drop off a 12v circuit to provide power directly to the wireless RB951 router. Then using an Ethernet cable running from the Groove plug into the YELLOW marked Port #5 on the RG951. This port carries POE and will then power the Groove.

Also attached is a PDF version with the main settings.

Hope this helps!
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Groove 52HPN Setup.pdf (92.9 KB, 144 views)
raymacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 15:49   #123

Boat: 1978 Lancer 30 MkIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymacke View Post
When trying to set up my WIFI system using a MikroTik Groove 52hpn and a MikroTik RB951 Router I found this thread. Although it didn't provide a workable solution for me I was able to stumble my way through and successfully configure the devices. /snip
:thumbsup!: solid work!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Rock-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2016, 19:33   #124
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

This isn't a comprehensive critique of raymacke post but just a few points to help things along.

There are 2 versions of the Groove; the GrooveA 52Hpn and the Groove 52Hpn. The GrooveA is more expensive but includes a 6 dbi dualband antenna. The GrooveA 52hpn is set as an access point by default. To connect to shoreside AP's it must be reconfigured to be a CPE.

The Groove 52Hpn is set as a CPE (client premise equipment) by default so the setup mentioned in the post is not necessary. The 52hpn is ready to use out of the box. Do not set a static IP on your computer. The Groove is a DHCP server by default.

There are 2 ways to set up the router; as a bridge or as a NAT/router. By default the RB951ui-2hnd is set as a NAT/router and it is not necessary to set up a static IP on your computer since it is a DHCP server by default. You can connect to 192.168.88.1 by ethernet cable if you use LAN ports 2-5 or you can connect by wireless by connecting to an SSID that begins with "Mikrotik...".

The setup description in the post above is trying to set the router up as a bridge without a DHCP server.

I would forget about using Port 5 as a POE pass through. The output voltage can drop as much as 2 volts plus there is a .5 amp maximum output so if you have a nominal 12 volt system you could end up with an unstable system.

Even though each device will work on its own out of the box they will not work together since each has a static IP of 192.168.88.1. I think the simplest way to get both devices working together is to start with a Groove 52Hpn, not the "A" version, and go into the Quick Set page by using 192.168.88.1. Change the Local Network IP address to 192.168.89.1 and the DHCP Server range to 192.168.89.10-192.168.89.254 and then click "Apply Configuration". Now each device is on a different subnet and they will work together.

Plug power into the router and plug the Male plug of the POE into Port 1 of the router. Plug power into the POE Power jack and connect an ethernet cable from the "Data + Power" jack on the POE to the Groove.

You'll be up and running with the router accessible at 192.168.88.1 and the Groove accessible at 192.168.89.1. Go into the Groove Quick Set page and at the bottom, middle you'll see a button that either says "Disconnect" or "Connect". If it say "Disconnect" then click it. The button will become a connect button and a scan window will appear above it displaying available access points. Find the AP you want and click on it. The Network Name will appear in a box by the connect button and there will be a password field if a password is required. Fill in the password and click the connect button to complete a connection.
Old 29-06-2016, 20:50   #125

W32PAMELA - Like I said I was stumbling my way through this process and spent hours trying to get it to work. I could find no workable total solution about the setup (at least any I could understand) so I used bits and pieces of what I did find. But am the first to admit little real knowledge on the subject. I appreciate your input. I will be on the boat this weekend and will it a try.
Old 30-06-2016, 07:29   #126
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raymacke View Post
W32PAMELA - I appreciate your input. I will be on the boat this weekend and will it a try.
Start your setup by resetting the configuration using the "Reset configuration" button on the Quick Set page. This will set up the basics for the router and a reset is the starting point for the Groove.

Don't make any changes in the router after the reset and only change the IP addresses in the Groove then plug the Groove into port 1 the router and test that you have wireless access to the router at 192.168.88.1 and the Groove at 192.168.89.1. When you get into the Groove click the "Disconnect" button and pick an AP to connect to if one is available.

Once you've got the basic setup working you should go into the Router and change the default "Network Name" and add a WPA2 (AES) Wifi Password. Also add login password.

The login password can be added from the Quick Set page. Look in the bottom right of the window and add the password in the "Password" and "Confirm Password" box. When the Network Name, Wifi Password and Login Password are change click "Apply Configuration" button.

When the router comes back up go to "Files" and click "Backup", name the backup and check mark "Don't Encrypt".

The Groove will just need a Login password and a backup.

Winbox is a Mikrotik utility program that will let you connect to Mikrotik devices using the MAC address or IP address. The official version is for PC's and can be down loaded at: http://download2.mikrotik.com/router...3.4/winbox.exe

There are Mac versions from various sources online. One version can be found at:
Joshaven.com

Winbox can save you a lot of trouble if the device can't be reached because the LAN static IP has been lost do to changes.

Once you get the devices working with the basic settings and have backups you can move on to other settings such as building a channel list in the Groove "Wireless" that will let your scan window show both 2.4ghz stations and 5ghz stations.
Old 30-06-2016, 08:09   #127
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I thought I should test the setup I was giving in the above post and realized that the following steps should also be done followed by a new backup file.
1. Click on the "Wireless" button then click on the name "wlan1-gateway"
2. The Wireless interface settings will open. Find and change the following items:
a. Change Band to 2GHz-B/G/N
b. Change Frequency to "Auto"
c. Wireless Protocol to "802.11"
3. Go to the top of the page and Click "OK"
4. Click on IP button and select DNS then click "Static" and edit the existing entry so that "Address" ends in "89.1" rather than "88.1" then click "OK" followed by close in the next window.
5. Go to System->Reboot to reboot the system. When the Groove comes back up you should be seeing 2.4ghz stations in the Groove scan window on the Quick Set page and connecting to one with internet should give you internet onboard.
Old 30-06-2016, 17:21   #128

And here is my problem trying to sort through this. Often things just don't seem to work the way I thought they should. The reset of the Groove and changing the IP address went fine. But then I did a reset of the rb951 using the RES button on the back and here is what I now get. I thought the IP address of 192.168.88.1 would be assigned but it does not work and I must use winbox to access using the mac address. Here is what I have and have no idea what to do with it.
Old 30-06-2016, 17:32   #129

And this is why this is driving me nuts! I did a reset and then IP address change on the Groove with no problem. But then I reset the RB951 using the RES button on the back and this is now what I have. Have reset it several times with no change. I am at a loss as to why it did not default to the 192.168.88.1 address and am not sure how to get all the other settings where they should be. I Had to use winbox to access. Any suggestion?

Old 30-06-2016, 17:35   #130

And this is why this is driving me nuts! I did a reset and then IP address change on the Groove with no problem. But then I reset the RB951 using the RES button on the back and this is now what I have. Have reset it several times with no change. I am at a loss as to why it did not default to the 192.168.88.1 address and am not sure how to get all the other settings where they should be. Any suggestion? I had to use winbox to access it.

Old 30-06-2016, 19:08   #131
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Look in "Files" and see if you have an "auto-before-reset.backup" file. If so restore it. This may get you up and running depending on the router state before the reset that made the backup.

If you don't have an auto-backup or it doesn't help the try a reset using the reset using the "Reset Configuration" button shown in the lower right of your screen shot.

If that doesn't work you will have to use Netinstall to do a fresh install of routerOS.
Old 30-06-2016, 22:49   #132

W32PAMELA - I really appreciate you help with this and I apologize for the triple post - didn't realize there was a delay for viewing an edit.

This is driving me nuts! I have just spent 8 1/2 hours trying to configure things with your suggested settings and have not gotten far. I would like to address one problem at a time to reduce confusion. The main problem is the RB951 router.

I managed after several attempts to reset it with the "auto-before-reset.backup" and below is the result -

I also changed the other settings you suggested in a later post. They are here-

Looking at the top image the router is seeing my home wireless router "Homeport" that is in the same room BUT on none of my wireless devices can I see the RB951. As if it is not broadcasting a wireless signal. Also, no matter what settings I have had I can never see the router using an IP address with a browser. I have tried two different computers. Only MAC address works in Winbox - not IP addresses in Winbox even though the IP address is listed.

You thoughts are GREATLY appreciated!
Old 01-07-2016, 07:26   #133
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Those settings are for the Groove.

Your RB951 is not at factory defaults. It appears to be partially configured as a CPE.

Your default configuration is corrupted or deleted and the "auto" backup was created at a time after the problem occurred.

You need to start looking at information on using Netinstall. This is a Mikrotik utility program that can be used to reformat your "hard drive" in the router and reinstall a fresh copy of the operating system. This will reinstall the default configuration also.
Old 02-07-2016, 18:11   #134

W32PAMELA- As per your suggestion, I was able to to install the correct software and reset the RB951 using the Netinstall app. That was a entire adventure its self! The router is now functioning correctly (or so it seems!). Also, I will go ahead and power the Groove independently. Thanks for the help pointing me in the right direction on this and everything else.

I will say I spent a good bit of time trying to use your configuration to set up the system but was always unsuccessful. Each device worked perfectly when connected solo to my laptop or desk top but once they were both attached one or the other could not be accessed by browser or Winbox. I defaulted the units 4 or 5 times and went totally back through the process hoping I had missed something BUT always same result. Obviously, I am screwing up somewhere!

Maybe I will attempt this again in a few weeks but for now I surrendered.

I decided to go back and used the directions I posted above* and when completed the system immediately responded. I could use my tablet to select the RB951 as the WIFI connection and then use the browser to address the Groove (192.168.88.2) and select the desired Access Point. Then tried it with my laptop and it too works as well as my wife’s tablet and both of our phones.

This may not be the totally correct method to configuration the system but it does work - at least for me. Before the original post I ran this setup for a long weekend when cruising up and down 50 miles of Kentucky Lake. I could watch the WIFI systems in the houses and marinas along the shore appear in the list as I approached and could connect to the unprotected marinas.

So I am sure there are probably unneeded entries in my setup but honestly I am sick of messing with this thing so they will remain excess baggage. I would much rather be on the water loafing than giving myself a headache messing around with this.

* I am going to repost the walk through of my setup as it includes a couple of corrections and omissions. I realize this may not be the ideal way to get this done but at least it is another avenue for someone to try if they are struggling like I was. I would be interested if any one else gets it to work this way - please post yea or nay.

W32PAMELA - can I also ask what antenna you recommend. I had an Engenius 8dBi Omni but managed to damage it a month ago. I wanted the same again but they don’t seem to be available so I replaced it with an Alpha AOA-2409TM 9dBi Omni. It may be my imagination but it just doesn’t seem to work as well. Also, I am assuming higher dB antennas are not used because of the rocking motion of a boat and the narrower reception beam.

Point of clarity - I have had the system running for a year and a half but then managed to damage / broke in half the antenna (don’t ask!). In the process of replacing it I messed with the settings and screwed it all up and then fought to get things going again.
Old 02-07-2016, 18:58   #135
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Raymacke,

As long as you've got your system working all's well.

The Engenius was a good antenna other than the chrome base which would corrode rapidly in saltwater.

Either of these antennas are good commercial grade antennas.
L-Com 8dbi
Air802 8dbi

I bought a couple of 9dbi Alfa antennas once and found they were not a good quality antenna. The radiator is just a piece of brass wire looks like its been wrapped around a pencil a few turns every couple inches. TP-Link antennas are made this way also.

I prefer the 8 dbi antennas over the 12 dbi. They are less expensive, they are shorter so the ship cheaper and in my experience they end up performing as well as a 12. People with 12's usually like them just as people with 8's usually like them.

Tags
antenna, marine