Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2014, 03:46   #16

Re: Best Waterproof IPad Case?

Got a LifeProof case aswell. The 3.5 mm special seal plug broke first time I screwed it in the case. The case Got cracks in every corner but stills hold together. How ever its the best case I tried, as you touch the screen directly, Not through some silicon cover.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
affe304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 04:01   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Lifeproof.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 04:08   #18
cruiser

I've had a Lifeproof nuud case on my Ipad Air for almost a year, it works great in every way. Easy access to all the controls and plug in ports. While on the boat during sailing days, it wears the Lifeproof lifejacket. The only thing, which isn't really a problem, is that you'll need to put the ipad in standby mode via a different method other than pushing the button on top. Easy to get used to doing it. Works much better than my old zip lock bag.

I have an extra Lifeproof case and lifejacket for ipad 2,3,4 for sale. I purchased them by accident for an original Ipad. The 2,3,4 case won't fit the IPad Air or iPad 1. If interested, send me a pm, the items are currently on ebay under kenomac priced under $47 brand new.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 06:30   #19

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Lifeproof is a great case. Practical Sailor judged them best - and we love ours.

HOWEVER, their "customer service" uses the definition of "service: what a bull does to a cow". It is about the worst there is. It took me about a month to get a defective iPhone case that ARRIVED defective, replaced. AND, they made me pay to send it back (with a tracking number).
That's interesting. I had just the opposite experience. I bought a cover for my iPad Air Nuud case. This cover is a terribly designed product, does not fit well, is heavy, and the magnets are in the wrong position to activate the iPad's magnetic latches.

I mean, a truly awful product - don't buy the iPad Air Nuud cover (the case itself is fantastic, and the covers for the earlier iPads and the iPad mini work and fit just fine).

So I wrote them and told them what an awful product this is, that it should be pulled from distribution and they should apologize to those customers who bought it (I'm not the only one - the web is full of people complaining about this specific product).

They immediately responded to me and said they were sending me another one with no need to return the old one. I responded to that by telling them not to bother unless there was a complete redesign because the current design will never work on the case. They wrote back and said they would send me another case free of charge with no need to return the old one.

I told them again not to bother because I had no way of receiving it, but they had already shipped it all. Now I have two of these - one here and one 3,000 miles away

So maybe this was bad service in a way, but at least they were responsive.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 06:51   #20

Best Waterproof IPad Case?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I've had a Lifeproof nuud case on my Ipad Air for almost a year, it works great in every way. Easy access to all the controls and plug in ports. While on the boat during sailing days, it wears the Lifeproof lifejacket. The only thing, which isn't really a problem, is that you'll need to put the ipad in standby mode via a different method other than pushing the button on top. Easy to get used to doing it. Works much better than my old zip lock bag.

I have an extra Lifeproof case and lifejacket for ipad 2,3,4 for sale. I purchased them by accident for an original Ipad. The 2,3,4 case won't fit the IPad Air or iPad 1. If interested, send me a pm, the items are currently on ebay under kenomac priced under $47 brand new.

Different method?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
affe304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2014, 22:38   #21

Boat: Islander 44

I use a new 1 gallon zip lock bag each trip. After the sail I use the bag to clean up after the dogs
sailmauinui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2014, 00:15   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurgenfd View Post
I found this expensive French case (ITabNav) that allows charging while totally emerged in water. The YouTube video has some critiques though. Is charging really necessary while out in the weather?

Are there other good cases that allow charging while maintaining protection?
I have a moxiware — Waterproof iPad Case and moxiware — iPad waterproof connector , both work very well....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060523_zpse8e8532c.jpg
Views:	370
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	90437  
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 13:30   #23

Boat: Hunter 386

Any updates/new products for 2017?
Old 21-06-2022, 06:33   #24

Any updates for 2022? ant find anything decent so far.
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 08:33   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

I am on my second Lifeproof nuud for a 10.5” Pro. The silicone strips around the edge have peeled back on both. The first was replaced under warranty. I may return the second after our cruise is done this summer. The buttons are
Hard to press, especially the off button on the top but I just use one of the accessibility options to have a shortcut button on the display. It is actually easier than the button on the top though it is a bit annoying when watching a movie.

Seems to still be waterproof but I never fully immerse it.

I would probably buy another despite these shortcomings unless I can find one that offers waterproof charging. There was one advertised when I googled but I could never track down where to buy.

Harry
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2022, 11:43   #26

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

I’m developing a magnetic charger holder for the interior of a boat with my 3D printer for iPad
It’s been my experience apple products simply can’t handle the heat. In an Otter case they are certainly safe from water but not heat.
We use our iPad for entertainment connected to a Wisa box. We use software from Bang and Olufsen called creation 5.
We use a raspberry pi to monitor the boat and automate other things.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022, 11:47   #27

Hello all! I'm seeing lots of Lifeproof folks here. Which model are you all referring to? I've searched all over for the Nuud, based on recommendations, and can't find one for the iPad 10.2 anywhere on the web. Is there another Lifeproof case other than the Nuud you're using, or do you all just have 12.2 iPads? Thanks!
BDZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2023, 05:41   #28

I used a Life Proof Nuud for about 7 years on my Air 2 which was by far the best especially since it didn't use a screen protector. As far as I can tell they don't make them for iPads any longer. I purchased an otterbox for a Gen 9 but it has the crappy screen protector which makes it harder to touch specific points and adds to the glare and finger print mess. So I'm still searching!
Also I cant find a charging cable system that will actually charge the iPad when using it. Ive tried several and a few different chargers (Blue Sea, ect) It seems to just keep it from losing charge. Not always. The iPad is the best chart plotter in my opinion for versatility and for explorer charts here in the bahamas. Navionics is better than the newer B&G plotters imo. But, its a serious challenge and sometimes liability. Cables constantly dying ect.
It seems ridiculous to find an old air 2 and Nuud on ebay but it was a good combo.
There must be a new option?!
hydroid is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Ipad