Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2015, 06:11   #16

Boat: Leopard 40
Re: Best WiFi booster

We have a Wirie that we use to connect to the wifi from our sail club about .25 mi to shore. It works fine and we can use it to stream Netflix which uses an excellent compression. But it isn't consistent enough to work - at least not on a mooring where we are constantly moving. I need fast, reliable connections that only 4g LTE can deliver. In hind sight, I would have not bothered with wifi and just paid for a better data plan on my phone.
ShaktiGurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2015, 09:08   #17

Boat: Monk/McQueen 45' - 1961 Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clipper4730 View Post
Hey yall just curious as to what your favorite wifi booster might be. About to take the plunge and purchase one for our Beneteau 50, just wanted to get a few opinions.

Thanks Will
We actually use a combination of ways to access the internet while underway:

1) A 'Cell phone' based MiFi, combined with an external antenna and at times booster. (Verizon MiFi or Tellus equivalent in this case - make sure the device has a a connector for an external antenna, many do not)

2) Bullet based WiFi range extended.

#2 is what you were asking about by the title. Ours is home assembled, step by step guide and parts list here: " mv.VikingStar: WiFi Repeater for the boat - An Update" I know of several folks who have followed these steps with success. Comes in around $150, including a local router for wireless connection to your laptop.

If you are not a DIYer, I would suggest to look to either the Island Time units, or the Wave WiFi unit. Both are well done, one thing nice about the Wave unit is they have a wrapper program that hids a lot of the fiddly detail of configuring and using these units. I would avoid anything based on the Alphs devices (commonly used with USB connected systems) as those devices are not rated for outside temperature usage. (Consumer spec vs. industrial spec if you will). If you really want to go low-cost, google up "wok wifi" - and yes, these work surprisingly well!

We find we actually use our repeater as much in marina's as anything (for those times when we are in a marina). Often the WiFi system in marinas are not well balanced (Loud talkers, not very good listeners) resulting in 4-5 bars indicated on the laptops, but unreliable connection... Are on about 9+ years with this system - it was one of the things we find has worked well.
thomasow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2015, 14:28   #18

Boat: Jefferson 42

I don't know what the best is but I can tell you what I'm doing. I picked up a bullet m2hp along with a 24v-24watt poe along with an Engenius 8 dbi antenna.
The bullet srews into the antenna. A cat 5 cable connects from the bullet to the poe and then to your computer. From google I typed in "bullet m2hp connections" and found a PDF file that has step by step instuctions. File was downloaded by someone on "The cruisersforum" I downloaded the file, followed the directions and it works. I was able to pick up sites about 2 miles out and this is without having it mounted on the radar arch yet. Next I wanted to run this thu my router "ASUS rt-n66u". I set the router up to be an AP. Connected the POE to the router and connected to router to the computer. Using the router setup it automatically set itself up and is doing great. Now I am wireless and can pick up distant hot-spots. I still haven't mounted the antenna yet. I have seen where others have sealed the bullet in a pvc tube and will probably do the same. The mounting is something I don't like but oh well!... Total cost less than $150. Cost for my router about $130....I was trying to find the guy that posted the setup instructions and thank him but haven't so far. Anyway his PDF got me on the Cruisers forum.
BoatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 00:13   #19

If you need best cell phone coverage in your cruiser, this works well for me and this catches free wifi from "7 miles" all around and gives you access to it : signalbooster.com
errakhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:26   #20
CLOD

Boat: none

I have an Island Time booster. 4 years ago we used it a lot, but over time there were fewer and fewer open signals that had good enough connectivity to be useful. Now days we just use our cell phone as they have unlimited data and 50GB hot spot each. The last time I was on a mooring ball at a marina that we had in past used out wifi booster 3 years prior we didn't even turn the booster on.

Tags
wifi