Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2015, 02:20   #121

Boat: Nauticat 32
Re: Binoculars? Which ones? Heeeellllpppp!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamHO View Post
Yes there is always a better camera. You get one then another comes to tempt you. I have both the 70-200 f2.8 IS (1) and the lighter 70-200 f4 IS. The f4 for better portability and air travel where a carry on can only be 7 kg. I have the Canon 1.4 X extender which gives very good results. I do have the Canon 2 X as well but often leave the 1.4 X fitted semi- permanently to a 70/200 and only remove it to go down to 70mm.
Of course if you have an APSC camera body as well as FF you get 1.6X for"free"

If you try the fairly new IS 35mm f2 lens and like the focal length, as I do, you will probably want to buy it.

We are going to into terrible trouble for talking cameras. But they are an important yacht cruising accessory and can make a good IS telescope.
My zooming practices are plain 70-200, or alternatively 2x200 (that is not much better than 300 since some of the picture quality was destroyed).

On wide angles I have been very happy with my "normal lens" of 16-35mm f/4L IS. The IS balances the smaller aperture of 4. I think this lens is a bargain when compared to its quality. 16mm is often quite useful inside the small cramped boats. I'm tempted to buy also some more fixed focal length lenses but I need a bigger bag for them.
Juho is offline   Reply With Quote