Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2012, 19:09   #16

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Bird spikes on radome?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travler37 View Post
RedHeadŽ Owl Decoy | Bass Pro Shops

Has worked in every building i have seen one in.No reason it wont work on a boat that i see.And a good conversation piece.
Mark
You haven't seen enough buildings

SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 19:41   #17

Boat: Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor g View Post
I don't think it has to be or even should be clear line. If they can't see it why won't they try to land, get scared, leave a big bird doo before they fly off. Friends use white string to keep blue herons from even trying to fly into their cockpit & it works. ...
I guess, different strings for different birds. I find birds to be amazingly able to land between all strings they see, even in very little light. The fishing line around their feet throws them off a bit, and some don't retry....
LeaseOnLife is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 21:31   #18

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post

That looks like my neighbor's house if you mix in a few crows with the gulls.
He's got a fake hawk up there and there's usually a crow sitting right next to it.

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2012, 21:47   #19
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:

Nah. That's actually a real owl wearing a gull hat.

Fakes 'em out every time.
Old 23-04-2012, 23:02   #20

Boat: Pacific Dolphin 24 Hull #300, Grand Finale

Home Depot sells the plastic bird spikes for about $20. Comes with a tube of glue to attach them with. They also work great to keep a cat out of a flowerbed.
sailinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 03:28   #21
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

They seem to be able to see the monofilament. I used 90 lb clear variety stretched from my shrouds to eye straps on the mast, about 3" above the spreaders. It was 100% effective at keeping birds off.
Old 24-04-2012, 06:55   #22

Boat: a sailing boat

I would be worried the spikes can cut the bird's feet (?).

When we have a visitor and I want it to go I just yell "shoooooo" and they tend to go.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 08:30   #23

We also have a Raymarine radome on a Questus backstay. Never a problem. We think it's because we have two VHF antennas installed beside it (AIS and weather fax). But then we only sail through high seagull areas and don't stay there for long.

... Though there is a story with us against the cormorans that were "brought north by the hurricane" as the locals say. But there nothing would've helped.
Katiusha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 20:45   #24

A friend had a small ball of some sort wrapped and hung on a spare halyard above the radar dome. It was heavy enough not to get blown about by wind. The ball just swung back & forth to keep pigeons off. It didn't make any noise & seemed easier than glue & spikes. You would have to bring down to secure to sail but seems ok. We have a tri lens above ours so few birds try.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 22:49   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43

We're next to a seagull colony so it's a continual battle.

The "rats of the sea" are smart. They can figure anything out given a few days. The CD's just act as landing beacons on Boracay.

I've gone from tight strings fore and aft to very loose strings side to side. As long as I keep moving the locations the seagulls are not happy (as measured by the amount of $#!^ not on the deck). Sometimes it's almost as though they're swearing at me as they fly past.

My latest "trick" is upside down 2 litre (quart?) white ice cream containers upside down on deck, held in place by loose strings to holes drilled in their sides near the bottom. I'm going on the theory that what seagulls hate most is other seagulls, and the white ice cream containers could look a bit like a seagull in the dark.

So my suggestion would be to glue an upside down white ice cream container on top of the radardome. Maybe with a little creative cutting round the edges and a few holes to let out the water.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 22:56   #26

Boat: 73 pearson 35

Quote:

OK,
common sence prevails........
you can not leave said attack OWL in same place...
ROLLS EYES
Mark
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 22:59   #27
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
We're next to a seagull colony so it's a continual battle.

The "rats of the sea" are smart. They can figure anything out given a few days. The CD's just act as landing beacons on Boracay.

I've gone from tight strings fore and aft to very loose strings side to side. As long as I keep moving the locations the seagulls are not happy (as measured by the amount of $#!^ not on the deck). Sometimes it's almost as though they're swearing at me as they fly past.

My latest "trick" is upside down 2 litre (quart?) white ice cream containers upside down on deck, held in place by loose strings to holes drilled in their sides near the bottom. I'm going on the theory that what seagulls hate most is other seagulls, and the white ice cream containers could look a bit like a seagull in the dark.

So my suggestion would be to glue an upside down white ice cream container on top of the radardome. Maybe with a little creative cutting round the edges and a few holes to let out the water.
Hope it works (for a few days anyway). Seagulls in the west seem to be a more gregarious lot. A soon as one or two breach my latest defense, they seem to invite their mates along and show them how smart they are.

Not only it is a never ending battle, it is one that I am always losing!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 23:21   #28

Boat: 73 pearson 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Hope it works (for a few days anyway). Seagulls in the west seem to be a more gregarious lot. A soon as one or two breach my latest defense, they seem to invite their mates along and show them how smart they are.

Plan B,
Frozen paint balls......
head shots with no sound besides a puff...legal in every state to discharge.
Mark
travler37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 23:30   #29
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I suspect the problem is more what to do when one is not on-board otherwise Barnakiel's advice is best:
"When we have a visitor and I want it to go I just yell "shoooooo" and they tend to go."
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2012, 07:40   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname

The name flying rat is a compliment as rats are really smart. Seagulls send a scout in to check out the area then ok it for others. Ravens are said to be as smart as a 2 yr. old. I know they tell time because school gets out at 3 and at 3:15 every day they and seagull scouts show up to check out the trash. The raven is first then the gulls follow. I chase them with a shoo & they wait until I'm in my car before returning (they know I don't care enough to return).

I hate to say it but if I was a gambler-I'd bet on the birds. They have nothing else to do but figure out our games. Maybe they like the challenge?
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote