Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2016, 22:34   #1

Boat: Savage Nautilus with Yanmar 2qm15 inboard diesel.
Boat mooring security query

Hello cruiser people,

I pay $1500 per year for the priveledge of mooring my boat at a jetty berth located on the southern coast of Victoria, Australia. The jetty has no amenities like fresh water and shore power, and apart from a single street light has no security whatsoever.

I only live about 20kms from the jetty but cannot get down there as frequently as I'd like and this causes me a few concerns regarding security from break-ins and theft, but also about the reliability of my auto bilge pump system. I have my pumps wired to a Johnson Ultima electronic sensor switch which so far has worked well, but there is always the chance of failure which potentially could end up sinking my boat.

This problem set me to thinking that it would be a good thing if I could actually monitor the boat (at it's jetty berth) from the comfort of my home. So I'm wondering if anyone knows what hardware and tech requirements would be needed to setup some kind of video security system which could be monitored from my desktop pc at home. And would it be an expensive exercise or can it be done cheaply?

(I expect it would be a drain on my battery power storage but as I have a dual battery setup with solar charge system wired in, it might be ok).

Thanks.
bony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 22:54   #2

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Re: Boat mooring security query

Cheap and easy.

Can buy a 4 waterproof camera/CCTV recorder which connects to computer/network on board which can be connected to WiFi and your smart phone. I just bought such for $400. Can monitor inside, whole boat from masthead or use it for docking visuals or simple data recording (20 hour recording on 2 tetra byte hard disc). Can use it like taxis do in case of incidents.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forums lily hhrn
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 23:20   #3

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by bony View Post
Hello cruiser people,

I pay $1500 per year for the priveledge of mooring my boat at a jetty berth located on the southern coast of Victoria, Australia. The jetty has no amenities like fresh water and shore power, and apart from a single street light has no security whatsoever.

I only live about 20kms from the jetty but cannot get down there as frequently as I'd like and this causes me a few concerns regarding security from break-ins and theft, but also about the reliability of my auto bilge pump system. I have my pumps wired to a Johnson Ultima electronic sensor switch which so far has worked well, but there is always the chance of failure which potentially could end up sinking my boat.

This problem set me to thinking that it would be a good thing if I could actually monitor the boat (at it's jetty berth) from the comfort of my home. So I'm wondering if anyone knows what hardware and tech requirements would be needed to setup some kind of video security system which could be monitored from my desktop pc at home. And would it be an expensive exercise or can it be done cheaply?

(I expect it would be a drain on my battery power storage but as I have a dual battery setup with solar charge system wired in, it might be ok).

Thanks.
There are a number of reasonably priced sim based devices available. Below is one. I personally wouldn't go with the wifi on boat option. It's got to be 'on' for a start and whilst it's 'on' it's costing you data and using power. And given your in Australia the best data option is with Telstra and I don't think that's cheap.

I also don't see the need for 'video'? What's the point? Fire? By the time you see that on video it will be too late to do anything. Same with water leak or bilge failure.

I have an automatic bilge set up with two water sensors. If the first fails the second will pick it up. But, keep in mind that bilge pumps are an emergency back up. You shouldn't be needing them. If they are coming on then you need to find out why and fix it.

Moored boat alarm and theft monitor - boattracker.com.au
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 01:01   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
There are a number of reasonably priced sim based devices available. Below is one. I personally wouldn't go with the wifi on boat option. It's got to be 'on' for a start and whilst it's 'on' it's costing you data and using power. And given your in Australia the best data option is with Telstra and I don't think that's cheap.

I also don't see the need for 'video'? What's the point? Fire? By the time you see that on video it will be too late to do anything. Same with water leak or bilge failure.

I have an automatic bilge set up with two water sensors. If the first fails the second will pick it up. But, keep in mind that bilge pumps are an emergency back up. You shouldn't be needing them. If they are coming on then you need to find out why and fix it.

Moored boat alarm and theft monitor - boattracker.com.au
The cctv camera setup that Stillbuilding mentions is the kind of setup I was thinking about, but only because I didn't know there were alternatives such as the "moored boat alarm" Rustic Charm refers to. What a nifty device! I'll look into it further before deciding, but it seems to cover all the things I'm concerned about.

"....But, keep in mind that bilge pumps are an emergency back up. You shouldn't be needing them. If they are coming on then you need to find out why and fix it."

My boat has an inboard diesel engine with the prop shaft passing through the old style stuffing box with packing gland. The gland nut is adjusted to allow water to slowly drip through to lubricate and cool the shaft when underway. This is the only place water enters the boat, rainwater is not an issue. I could tighten the nut to stop the water dripping when moored but it would be a pain readjusting it to drip every time I used the boat.

Thanks to both of you for the quick replies.

bony.
Old 29-05-2016, 01:14   #5

Your stuffing box shouldn't drip when it's idle. Only when the shaft is turning. I used to have a stuffing box and replaced it with a dripless seal. But, a stuffing box 'should' never drip so much it would sink your boat. It's not adjusted properly if it drips whilst idle.
Old 29-05-2016, 01:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Your stuffing box shouldn't drip when it's idle. Only when the shaft is turning. I used to have a stuffing box and replaced it with a dripless seal. But, a stuffing box 'should' never drip so much it would sink your boat. It's not adjusted properly if it drips whilst idle.
I guess it needs some fine tuning then. I'll have another go at adjusting the gland next time I'm down there,

Thanks.
Old 29-05-2016, 03:10   #7

Boat: Compass 28

Bony, despite the previous advice , in the real world your shaft gland will end up dripping a little bit at rest as it wears. If you measured this you'd find it probably adds up to a few minutes per day of bilge pump operation at most. Which probably means it would take weeks or months to sink your boat: not what I'd call a major worry. Do not even dream of adjusting it each time you sail - you're more likely to make it worse or bugger something else up while you're arse-over-head in the nether regions of the engine bay. Or end up hating your boat.

If your boat is fibreglass and has no serious deck/window leaks, you can be pretty relaxed about leaks sinking her. Unless of course you don't close the through-hulls, or make a hash of fitting the log sensor or its blank (please don't ask me how I know.)

But pilfering and vandalism is another kettle of fish and I feel your pain, after a few recent incidents around my mooring at Sandringham.

Cheers, Graeme
lockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 03:20   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
Bony, despite the previous advice , in the real world your shaft gland will end up dripping a little bit at rest as it wears. If you measured this you'd find it probably adds up to a few minutes per day of bilge pump operation at most. Which probably means it would take weeks or months to sink your boat: not what I'd call a major worry. Do not even dream of adjusting it each time you sail - you're more likely to make it worse or bugger something else up while you're arse-over-head in the nether regions of the engine bay. Or end up hating your boat.

If your boat is fibreglass and has no serious deck/window leaks, you can be pretty relaxed about leaks sinking her. Unless of course you don't close the through-hulls, or make a hash of fitting the log sensor or its blank (please don't ask me how I know.)

But pilfering and vandalism is another kettle of fish and I feel your pain, after a few recent incidents around my mooring at Sandringham.

Cheers, Graeme
Well, if it's 'worn', then I'd concur with this. Of course a worn shaft may drip.

And certainly, shouldn't be adjusting it every time you go sailing. But I don't think that was your intention was it?
Old 29-05-2016, 07:27   #9

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Hi Bony,

We spend some time away from our boat as well. I wanted the same ability to monitor.

If there is cellular service in the area, you might want to investigate Siren Marine [Company is in the US, but their cellular SIM device and service is good world wide.]

Siren monitors everything you mentioned and more.

Here is my detailed blog post about our installation and the features we use.

It brings me peace of mind because I am 4 airline flights and 8+ hours from the boat when traveling. I contact my local guardian if something is wrong so they can look into in.

Best wishes finding what is right for you.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 29-05-2016, 08:03   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockie View Post
...If your boat is fibreglass and has no serious deck/window leaks, you can be pretty relaxed about leaks sinking her. Unless of course you don't close the through-hulls, or make a hash of fitting the log sensor or its blank (please don't ask me how I know.)....
Ok Lockie, I won't ask, but thanks anyway for the good advice .

Boat's hull is f/glass. I finished a total renovation of this boat about 18 months ago and have no issues with leaks anywhere except at the packing gland The engine is raw water cooled but I've replaced the old seacock with a new stainless steel one, and all hoses, clamps etc. were renewed. I also make doubly certain I shut off the seacock when not in use. So I guess my statement that the dripping gland could "potentially sink the boat" was a bit over the top.

Security is a concern because I know that a trawler moored at the same jetty, a few berths away from my boat, has been broken into on four seperate occasions. I haven't suffered the same fate as yet, and I'm not worried if I lose a battery or two or bit of gear if it does happen, but I'd really, really hate it if some moron smashed his way in and damaged my boat after all the hard work I did on it.

Cheers.
Old 29-05-2016, 08:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Hi Bony,

We spend some time away from our boat as well. I wanted the same ability to monitor.

If there is cellular service in the area, you might want to investigate Siren Marine [Company is in the US, but their cellular SIM device and service is good world wide.]

Siren monitors everything you mentioned and more.

Here is my detailed blog post about our installation and the features we use.

It brings me peace of mind because I am 4 airline flights and 8+ hours from the boat when traveling. I contact my local guardian if something is wrong so they can look into in.

Best wishes finding what is right for you.

Cheers!

Bill
Hi Bill,

Sounds like a good system you have, it would be great to have all that info whenever you want. I'll check it out.

Thanks for the advice.

bony.
Old 29-05-2016, 09:44   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Spot Hug makes a satellite system that can report unauthorized movement of your boat (and tell you where it is), daily status, and connect to a variety of sensors. It also allows you to send "I'm OK," "Please call" and "SOS" at the touch of a button while underway. It is not dependent on cell or wifi service. Normally, it lets you keep in touch with family and friends, but is's also a smoke, intrusion, bilge pump, etc. system and a emergency response system. It is available in Australia. It's the boat version of the satellite locators being carried by solo trekkers now days.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 18:06   #13

smart1marine.com.au have a boat monitor which uses the Telstra 3G network, be careful because many of the older systems use the international 2G network or GSM network which Telstra is switching off at the end of 2016. I've set up a basic system on my boat which is connected to my bilge switches and sends me an email message if the bilge turns on and it also alerts if the voltage of my battery falls below 12.4 volts..
Wideload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 18:37   #14

Quote:

Security is a concern because I know that a trawler moored at the same jetty, a few berths away from my boat, has been broken into on four seperate occasions. I haven't suffered the same fate as yet, and I'm not worried if I lose a battery or two or bit of gear if it does happen, but I'd really, really hate it if some moron smashed his way in and damaged my boat after all the hard work I did on it.

Cheers.
Then make it hard to break into. Replace the wooden hatchboard/simple lock system with something very bombproof. I've seen pictures on this board of folks with high security concerns for even when they are onboard that include steel. Make it hard to get into, they'll leave. Standard boat lock systems are only to deter casual thieves. Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 18:47   #15

Quote:
Hello cruiser people,

Thanks.
Something else you might consider is putting your boat out on a true mooring away from jetties. The cost would probably be much cheaper too. ($75 pa in tassie).

And from places like Jaycar you can get a window sensor alarm. Connect this to a loud siren, such as the 12v ones used in houses so that if someone breaks in, they will set off the noisy alarm.

In my experience as a cop, thieves avoid 'loud alarms' and 'loud dogs'. There are plenty of homes available without either so that's what they target.

Tags
mooring, security