Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2015, 09:49   #16

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: Bonehead Award - Navico 3G Radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
I have the opposite opinion - there should not have been any water in the dome for the hole to drain. No matter how hard it rains sideways. We have never had water get into our Furuno or Simrad (older pulse) domes. It doesn't make sense that someone would design a radome to regularly allow and drain water. Any drain should only be for rare condensation.

I don't think you did anything wrong - I think it is a defect that Navico should right.

Mark

While I hope they do make it good, the picture shows no holes in the plug and anyone that has done the install without removing the plug may find themselves with the same issue.

Were I to have done this for a customer I would be making arrangements to pull the plug. Pardon the pun.

As stated earlier the directions note the potential for water ingress. The seal is not up to the standards of the Radome.

I have found a few Radome drain tubes unclipped. I didn't leave them that way.

------------------------------
Looking for another pretty place to work on the boat.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:59   #17

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

This is the picture in the manual. Looks like that plug is supposed to have small holes in it. Anyway, I wish I could remember the other post about this. I'm pretty sure it was a failed seal that filled it with water and Navico replaced the whole unit.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-07-05 at 12.55.16 PM.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	104707  

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:23   #18

Boat: 46' custom cat "Rum Doxy", Roughwater 41"Abreojos"

As Navico is calling this a 'breather' and not a 'drain', I am inclined to think that it is more to allow for equalization of pressure with temperature change than to allow for drainage. I did not remove ours and have never had a problem, even in torrential rain with 50 knots of wind. Hopefully Navico with do the right thing and replace your radome.

www.sailblogs.com/member/rumdoxy

Come to the dark side. We have donuts.
mikereed100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:14   #19

Boat: Bristol 47.7

OK, not an electronics tech and have never looked inside a radome, but following with interest since I soon need to repair if not replace my old Furuno. Had always assumed these things would be water-tight & not allow water to enter, thereby rendering the plug more of a "breather" as the manual apparently calls it, as opposed to a "drain" for water.

In any event, I'm also confused by Cap Eric's earlier comment that removing the dome cover may invalidate the warranty. Don't you need to remove the cover to get it bolted/unbolted onto or from the pedestal? Or maybe it has thread inserts eliminating the need for this? Anyway, just curious what I can expect as I attempt this myself in a couple of weeks. Had assumed there were nuts fastening the (4) bolts that could only be accessed from inside the radome itself.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:19   #20

Navico has threaded inserts, don't know about Furuno, but I would expect the same.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:01   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
As Navico is calling this a 'breather' and not a 'drain', I am inclined to think that it is more to allow for equalization of pressure with temperature change than to allow for drainage. I did not remove ours and have never had a problem, even in torrential rain with 50 knots of wind. Hopefully Navico with do the right thing and replace your radome.

-------
If you mount the scanner on a pedestal or base, ensure that rain and sea spray can drain away rapidly, and the breather hole in the base can operate .

-------

I'm glad to hear that your unit is water tight although the "rain and sea spray can drain away rapidly" statement indicates that Navico expects water ingress. There is a raised post, 3", inside the dome that has a tiny (maybe 1/16") hole that would keep the water level at 3" but I imagine it's function is a vent to expedite draining by allowing air in.

But you know, now that I ponder it bit more, they may be referring to the water draining from the pedestal or base. In which case they are totally relying on the seal of the dome. Didn't work out in my case.

My little Power Tower offset base wasn't the cause.

My unit is sitting in the sun on my aft deck assembled to a point that allowed testing. Initial test doesn't look good.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:08   #22

[QUOTE=Cap Erict3;1862915]-------
If you mount the scanner on a pedestal or base, ensure that rain and sea spray can drain away rapidly, and the breather hole in the base can operate .

-------

But you know, now that I ponder it bit more, they may be referring to the water draining from the pedestal or base. In which case they are totally relying on the seal of the dome. Didn't work out in my case.

QUOTE]

Yes, that's the way I read it. They want to be sure you are not creating a puddle or blocking the breather.

My experience with Navico is that they are pretty responsive as long as the equipment is within the warranty period. Even though you technically voided the warranty by opening the dome, one would hope they will cut you some slack in this case.

Old 05-07-2015, 12:13   #23

Opening the dome can't void the warranty because don't you need to open the dome to wire it?

I also read the instructions as making sure rain and spray can drain from the mount, not the radome.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:25   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Opening the dome can't void the warranty because don't you need to open the dome to wire it?

I also read the instructions as making sure rain and spray can drain from the mount, not the radome.

Mark

The wire plugs in on the bottom. You don't have to open the dome.

Old 05-07-2015, 15:57   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereed100 View Post
Navico has threaded inserts, don't know about Furuno, but I would expect the same.
Thanks for this info Mike. I'll consult my installation manual. Would be nice to save the step of removing the dome, if possible.
Old 06-07-2015, 04:57   #26

Boat: Gozzard, 44CC, 50'

The unit is still under warranty. Put the plug back in. Call Navico and tell them the unit isn't working. They'll give you a return authorization. Ship it back. They'll replace it because they can't repair it. (even if it drys out and works now over the long term you'll have corrosion issues)
Scrimshaw4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:36   #27

I am pleased to say that Navico is sending a new unit my way. My instructions were to put my old unit in the new box and not to pull the little rubber plug.

I had a busy morning going but just called tech support back and again, they were adamant about leaving the plug in place. They are also supposed to have modified the 3G base due to water ingress issues.

When we discussed that water could not possibly accumulate on my offset base he agreed that I likely had a defective seal on the dome.

I may have to return the dunce cap.

Old 06-07-2015, 12:43   #28

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
I am pleased to say that Navico is sending a new unit my way. My instructions were to put my old unit in the new box and not to pull the little rubber plug.

I had a busy morning going but just called tech support back and again, they were adamant about leaving the plug in place. They are also supposed to have modified the 3G base due to water ingress issues.

When we discussed that water could not possibly accumulate on my offset base he agreed that I likely had a defective seal on the dome.

Thanks for letting us know, I think I'll celebrate not having to climb the mast with a cool drink.

Cheers,
JM.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 14:04   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post

Nah, just send it to Kenomac. Unless, of course, you'd like me to discuss how many trips up the mast it recently took me to change out the bulb for my steaming light.

Good news on the radar replacement, and a for Navico.
Old 07-07-2015, 06:35   #30

This is too late now, but I just remembered that the previous incident I mentioned of water filling the dome was not a post on CF, but a personal email from a friend of mine. His new 3G dome filled with water within a few months of installation. He told me that he talked to another 3G owner that had the same problem.

In both cases, Navico simply replaced the dome with no questions or problem.

Mark

Tags
award, head, navico, radar