Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2009, 11:19   #16

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40
If it fails I am back to binoculars and paper charts. But why should I not take advantage of something that has so many advantages? I would far rather know where the other boats are in a dense fog than feel my way hoping for the best the way it used to be.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2009, 11:20   #17

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
Isn't that what my EPIRB is for?
I don't think so?

I think I got it off topic. but what the hell.

I enjoy hearing about the latest electronic innovations. Had them from loran C.

Just remember a son asking when the C went down. What do we do now.

We know were we where, have a paper chart and a compass. Oh!

Cheers,
Roger
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:45   #18

Boat: Swan 411
FMCW (broadband) radar

Hi folks -

I am going to put a radar set on my Swan 411. I like the idea of the FMCW, but to my early reading and seeing some youtube demos, I am not sure I'll step into that pool yet (seems like new tech, and not all that it's being cracked up to be). I am very much interested however in mounting approaches. I think a gimbal mount makes a lot of sense, and I am leaning toward backstay style, for minimum upset of her lines and looks, and keeping the antenna out of the way of sails (mast mount). Any input on mounting, types and makers of kits, would be greatly appreciated.

Finally, re the comments on navigating without the radar - I very much believe in knowing how to navigate without electronics. The one thing I really want to avoid is getting clobbered by a large vessel at night that either didn't see me or wasn't maintaining an adequate watch, etc - happens all the time, unfortunately. I was coming home to Sheboygan from Michigan this summer in broad daylight, got caught in a dense fog mid-lake, and decided right there to get myself a radar set this winter - so they have their place, I think. The other place is to find and make harbor entry in dense fog - other than these two things, I could do without, and even the harbor entry is not what drives this decision.

Soon to be in blue water.........next year and for the rest of my life, with the help of God.

Best to all,

Geoff McLaughlin
Corazon
Swan 411, #41
valveman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:03   #19

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'
I have to disagree with Gord. 'Broadband' is not technically meaningless, it's general. There are more ways than FMCW to get a high resolution ranging radar.

Also, I'll point out that broadband radar is not new technology. It's old stuff for the military. Now the cost is getting down to our level.

(Full disclosure, a part of Honeywell, but a different part than the one I work for, is developing broadband radar for ships. I only know this from reading Panbo.)
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:27   #20

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Just for S & G, does anyone know how to navigate without the electronics anymore?
I wonder how Cadence navigates in the fog without electronics? Has he ever tried "feeling" his way into an unfamiliar harbour in the fog? If Nelson had radar, he'd have used it.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 09:44   #21

Just as a suggestion about not getting clobbered. Insure you have a good reflector. Clorox bottles don't have a good signature.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:51   #22

Any no. of times.
Old 08-11-2009, 18:24   #23

Boat: Corbin 39 Special Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by valveman99 View Post
I am very much interested however in mounting approaches. I think a gimbal mount makes a lot of sense, and I am leaning toward backstay style, for minimum upset of her lines and looks, and keeping the antenna out of the way of sails (mast mount). Any input on mounting, types and makers of kits, would be greatly appreciated.

Soon to be in blue water.........next year and for the rest of my life, with the help of God.
Best to all,
Geoff McLaughlin
Corazon
Swan 411, #41
I went through the same thing in terms of Radar mounting location and asked, and read, and asked, and read .....

Some are going to tell you:
  • Don't mount your radar on your back stay.
  • On your back stay is a good place.
  • Gimballed doesn't make any difference and is a waste.
  • Forget Gimballed but put it on your mast because that is what really makes the difference.
Not for a second did I not appreciate all of the opinions that came forward, but I can tell you there seams to be different schools of thought on radar mounting location and it's importance.

I was originally going to go gimballed on my backstay but there was enough that thought it has to go on the mast that I ended up going gimballed on my mast. Waltz Manufacturing.
Radar leveling system
I can't tell you about performance yet (too soon).

Good Luck,
Extemp.
Extemporaneous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:09   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
I wonder how Cadence navigates in the fog without electronics? Has he ever tried "feeling" his way into an unfamiliar harbour in the fog? If Nelson had radar, he'd have used it.
Your right. Nelson probably would have used it. May not have been shipped back to England in a rum barrel.

I've used anything I've had available in electronics. I just don't beleave people should rely on them to get home. It's a formular for disaster when they take a dump.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:22   #25
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Extemporaneous View Post
I went through the same thing in terms of Radar mounting location and asked, and read, and asked, and read .....

Some are going to tell you:
  • Don't mount your radar on your back stay.
  • On your back stay is a good place.
  • Gimballed doesn't make any difference and is a waste.
  • Forget Gimballed but put it on your mast because that is what really makes the difference.
Not for a second did I not appreciate all of the opinions that came forward, but I can tell you there seams to be different schools of thought on radar mounting location and it's importance.

I was originally going to go gimballed on my backstay but there was enough that thought it has to go on the mast that I ended up going gimballed on my mast. Waltz Manufacturing.
Radar leveling system
I can't tell you about performance yet (too soon).

Good Luck,
Extemp.
let us know how it works out. just looking at it I like it better than the Questus.
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:24   #26

I have a questus gimballed mount on the backstay. I like it - out of the way but easy to get to if need be. No wiring runs in the mast so much easier to install. Not as high as a mast mount would be but it works great. But, as somebody said above, you can find the opposite opinion without too much trouble.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:29   #27
S&S

Boat: 48' 1963 S&S yawl
Quote:
Originally Posted by sck5 View Post
I have a questus gimballed mount on the backstay. I like it - out of the way but easy to get to if need be. No wiring runs in the mast so much easier to install. Not as high as a mast mount would be but it works great. But, as somebody said above, you can find the opposite opinion without too much trouble.
How long have you had yours?
S&S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 09:54   #28

I have had it for one full season now (just hauled the boat last week) - Never a problem but of course that is just one year. But I am very happy with it so far
Old 09-11-2009, 10:53   #29

Boat: Chris White Atlantic 42
Love the new Simrad radar as it uses so much less power than traditional.

Is anyone successfully using a radar overlay image with MaxSea 10.3.2.1
If so what radar are you using to share the info with MaxSea.

Need to replace my radar and would prefer to have a black box model (i.e. no dedicated display just for radar). Ideas?
Old 09-11-2009, 11:02   #30

Boat: 34' Searunner Tri
Almost without exception Furuno Black box (X Band) radars are the choice in the Bering Sea fleet. 10 KW only. The 25 KW is too much power unless you have a huge ship to mount it on. They are very reliable and only need a magnatron every few years for maintenience so far. This is operating 24/7 for months at a time in horrible conditions.
The fleet has not had as good of luck with Simrad (we love their fish finders) or any other brand. It will do al the slaves, AIS, Chart etc....Last I checked it was $25k. The guy who installed it for us was from East Germany. He said "this radar is better than what we installed at the airports in East Germany" We run a 21" Flat Screen.
Jmolan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
broadband, radar