Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2018, 17:04   #16

Boat: Still not big enough..!!!
Re: Buying Iridium Equipment in the U.S.

Contact GITSAT.com for all things Iridium phones etc.

(For wildlife standoff consider .338 Lapua Magnum.....)
bluewatervet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 07:43   #17

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

DH, have u thought about a Porta-Bote as a tender? By the way... the polar bears only bite the collapsible tenders to see if they squeek.

About guns... we used a 40 caliber rifle with iron sites. Heavy sucker to sling around. I have an in house shotgun .410. I be honest... I didn't know a shotgun with a slug had enough penetrating power to stop a large bear. I know u are smart guy DH. Please check that out again. Polar bears are very intelligent guys. They are expert at ambush.

When the poop hits the fan... your panties all wadded up... there is real fear and it can paralyze even good marksmen. Up there they are the apex predator. Love bears. But I have deep respect for their abilities to hunt. Even if wounded they will keep coming if able. I am sure u have considered the pucker factor. I just don't know about a slug from a shotgun. I am envious of your trip. Deepest respects.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 07:57   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
DH, have u thought about a Porta-Bote as a tender? By the way... the polar bears only bite the collapsible tenders to see if they squeek.

About guns... we used a 40 caliber rifle with iron sites. Heavy sucker to sling around. I have an in house shotgun .410. I be honest... I didn't know a shotgun with a slug had enough penetrating power to stop a large bear. I know u are smart guy DH. Please check that out again. Polar bears are very intelligent guys. They are expert at ambush.

When the poop hits the fan... your panties all wadded up... there is real fear and it can paralyze even good marksmen. Up there they are the apex predator. Love bears. But I have deep respect for their abilities to hunt. Even if wounded they will keep coming if able. I am sure u have considered the pucker factor. I just don't know about a slug from a shotgun. I am envious of your trip. Deepest respects.
I have thought about a Porta Bote. It makes a lot of sense for this trip.

As to guns -- the consensus of the pros is that the 12 ga magnum with slugs is the way to go. An large caliber big game gun would probably be better, but it's just not practical or economical to find, buy, and then carry two of them, and then what to do with them afterwards? The shotguns I can borrow and the ammo is available everywhere. The UK firearms permit for a shotgun is also an order of magnitude easier to get. The NRA has an actual formal course for polar bear defense, which we will attend.

And yes, I'm aware of the freeze up factor. An Eton schooboy was eaten by a polar bear on Svalbard because the one armed guy in their group freaked out and couldn't get his gun to work. There will be two of us carrying on this trip (improves the odds), one of them (not me) ex military with combat experience. I am also very cool in a crisis and think I would be able to keep my wits about me. But there's always a risk, and I am aware of how extremely clever and extremely dangerous the cute beasts are -- apex predators indeed.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 08:01   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Back to sat comms -- I've been looking at used Iridium equipment on FleaBay.

The 9505 phone can be had dirt cheap -- maybe that's worth taking as the emergency phone? What's the disadvantage compared to the 9555 and the Extreme?

And someone is selling a used 9555 and claiming it can be used just like the Go -- is that true? Can you have the $125/month unlimited data plan on the 9555?

Grateful for all tips.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 19-03-2018, 08:41   #20

... 9505A is great as a PHONE, might be a pain in the a.. to set up for data (due to the RS232 connection to the PC and no drivers for the latest OS).

For the 'phones' you buy a SIM and voucher with 'units', normally advertised for instance like 75 Minutes, 30 days, World (4500 units).

- Calls to another Iridium phone than could be 30 units
- Other land based or mobile phones 60 units
- Other satellite based phones 540 units
- Dial-up DATA 60 units / minute

You could use the SIM and voucher also in a GO! but the 'all inclusive' plans are typically better (especially if you plan to use data a lot).

Have a 9505A myself I used (mainly as an emergency or to get weather routings) when there is no other sat phone on the vessel in transatlantic passages.

Quote:
And someone is selling a used 9555 and claiming it can be used just like the Go -- is that true?
You can use it like a GO! with the 'data kit' but to my knowledge there are no 'unlimited plans' for the phones like 9505A or 9555 so you pay data by the minute ...

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 09:04   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarstenWL View Post
... 9505A is great as a PHONE, might be a pain in the a.. to set up for data (due to the RS232 connection to the PC and no drivers for the latest OS).

For the 'phones' you buy a SIM and voucher with 'units', normally advertised for instance like 75 Minutes, 30 days, World (4500 units).

- Calls to another Iridium phone than could be 30 units
- Other land based or mobile phones 60 units
- Other satellite based phones 540 units
- Dial-up DATA 60 units / minute

You could use the SIM and voucher also in a GO! but the 'all inclusive' plans are typically better (especially if you plan to use data a lot).

Have a 9505A myself I used (mainly as an emergency or to get weather routings) when there is no other sat phone on the vessel in transatlantic passages.

You can use it like a GO! with the 'data kit' but to my knowledge there are no 'unlimited plans' for the phones like 9505A or 9555 so you pay data by the minute ...

Regards,

Carsten
Ok, that's the info I needed. I want the unlimited slow data and unlimited text messages, so I guess Go is the only way.

Maybe a cheap 9505 for the required emergency phone.

I'm going to have to sell my Globalstar phone, if there's any market for it.
Walt Whitman
Old 19-03-2018, 09:56   #22

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Sounds like a great trip, Jealous !.

I've been to Svalbard multiple times and best advice was from our first trip leader there.

Polar bears run faster than you, swim faster than you, climb faster than you, and look upon you as LUNCH !. The best advice was never land if one is in view !. (within 2km was our rules).

There is lots of good advice from the Norwegians especially on how to correctly handle a polar bear encounter and hopefully the last thing you ever have to do is fire on one.

It is very strange for someone coming from a non-gun country (Aus) to one where going out of town WITHOUT a weapon is illegal !. (Longyearbyen)

----

Anyway as for Sat phones. Suggest renting one. GlobalSat in the UK, SatPhone store in Miami, and couple others do rent one.
I'd also suggest ensuring each separate group has a waterproof VHF as mandatory equipment as well. (Along with a bunch of other stuff in the Dingy)

Anchoring the Dingy out is a fine idea, the question really is, how to do it.
A: polar bears swim. very very well. Not sure that will help ?
B: That water is DAMN cold. How are you going to put it out, and bring it back without getting wet ? Best to figure that out before hand IMO.

For sure I'd be carrying a spare up there. Zodiac is a good choice.

Just a few thoughts.

Regards

Mark.
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 11:16   #23

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catapault View Post
Sounds like a great trip, Jealous !.

I've been to Svalbard multiple times and best advice was from our first trip leader there.

Polar bears run faster than you, swim faster than you, climb faster than you, and look upon you as LUNCH !. The best advice was never land if one is in view !. (within 2km was our rules).

There is lots of good advice from the Norwegians especially on how to correctly handle a polar bear encounter and hopefully the last thing you ever have to do is fire on one.

It is very strange for someone coming from a non-gun country (Aus) to one where going out of town WITHOUT a weapon is illegal !. (Longyearbyen)

----

Anyway as for Sat phones. Suggest renting one. GlobalSat in the UK, SatPhone store in Miami, and couple others do rent one.
I'd also suggest ensuring each separate group has a waterproof VHF as mandatory equipment as well. (Along with a bunch of other stuff in the Dingy)

Anchoring the Dingy out is a fine idea, the question really is, how to do it.
A: polar bears swim. very very well. Not sure that will help ?
B: That water is DAMN cold. How are you going to put it out, and bring it back without getting wet ? Best to figure that out before hand IMO.

For sure I'd be carrying a spare up there. Zodiac is a good choice.

Just a few thoughts.

Regards

Mark.

Thanks for all that!

Handheld marine VHF is the national cell phone of Greenland. Used for land as well as marine comms. So every crew will have his own. Will be very handy on this trip, and the mother ship can relay messages if people get separated.

As to anchoring the dinghy -- long anchor chain and kellet three meters from the dinghy. Long shore line. Anchor up, go to shore, disembark, let they dinghy go back out while holding onto (!) the shore line. . Tie the shoreline somewhere.

I've done this before, for different reasons (big tide). Do you think polar bears will swim out to attack the dinghy in the water? That is a truly terrifying thought. We will have a spare, and if we think that there is serious risk of something like this, I guess we'd better always have someone on the mother ship to come rescue the shore party, in case the worst happens. This is the kind of stuff we never think about in normal cruising grounds because there's always someone around who can help if need be. Here that won't be on the menu. We have to be completely self-sufficient and self-rescue of something happens. You have to think through all kinds of things which are no-brainers in normal cruising.
Walt Whitman
Old 20-03-2018, 02:49   #24

Boat: Lagoon 450 F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Thanks for all that!

Handheld marine VHF is the national cell phone of Greenland. Used for land as well as marine comms. So every crew will have his own. Will be very handy on this trip, and the mother ship can relay messages if people get separated.

As to anchoring the dinghy -- long anchor chain and kellet three meters from the dinghy. Long shore line. Anchor up, go to shore, disembark, let they dinghy go back out while holding onto (!) the shore line. . Tie the shoreline somewhere.

I've done this before, for different reasons (big tide). Do you think polar bears will swim out to attack the dinghy in the water? That is a truly terrifying thought. We will have a spare, and if we think that there is serious risk of something like this, I guess we'd better always have someone on the mother ship to come rescue the shore party, in case the worst happens. This is the kind of stuff we never think about in normal cruising grounds because there's always someone around who can help if need be. Here that won't be on the menu. We have to be completely self-sufficient and self-rescue of something happens. You have to think through all kinds of things which are no-brainers in normal cruising.
I would not leave the mothership unattended in the Arctic. There are just too many things that can go horribly wrong quickly.

One thing. You could easily be held on shore due to weather. Make sure Dinghy has a supply (watertight !) of emergency equipment, including shelter.

As for Polar bears. Yes, they can swim exceedingly well, they are considered a Marine Mamal. Last year in Svalbard we sailed alongside one swimming for approx 7 hours. (Power, not sail) It swam over to us at times, then away, then back over and over. Was very cool.

I have no idea if one would swim out to attack a dinghy, but it CAN.

I've not seen one damage / go a dinghy, though we did have a juvenile walrus take out 2 tubes of a Mk V Zodiac in 2014 on the shore. Happened in seconds, 2 tusks >> PVC.

I suggest taking a look at the Youtube series by Skip Novak.
Also read the book on High Latitude sailing. (I can look it up if needed !).

In short, a Healthy respect for wildlife, without being scared of it and be prepared for any eventuality.

I also plan to sail up there one day, just not quite yet ! (and prob not on this boat).

What boat are you sailing to Greenland ?

Regards

Mark
Catapault is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 03:45   #25

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post

Maybe use a hard dink for this trip...they dont look like they might squeak and would hold up better to an investigative bite than a deflatable.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 03:57   #26

Boat: Oyster 66

Get a used Bgan for shore use. They are weatherproofed and very cheap on Ebay. Usage costs and performance are the best too.You need a stable platform and land works well. They are Inmarsat, so check the location carefully. You should probably be inside their beam.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 05:49   #27

Quote:
They are Inmarsat, so check the location carefully. You should probably be inside their beam.
He won't:

http://www.groundcontrol.com/images/...nmarsat_03.jpg

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 05:56   #28

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, they consider your purpose in deciding whether to allow you to do it. So it really is a kind of expedition. Our purpose is to walk around and do photography, and they seemed to think that was OK. Obviously we are not great polar explorers
Well.. It's always compared to what or whom yes pix please remember if you can see the polar bear... It's already too late.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 06:07   #29

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Take a drone to scout ahead for rocks and wildlife.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 06:57   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
Take a drone to scout ahead for rocks and wildlife.
Drone photography is definitely on the program
Walt Whitman

Tags
buying, equipment, iridium, men