Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-11-2019, 19:51   #16

Boat: Beneteau 373
Re: Buying used advise (ST60 wind)

Try to test it out before purchasing. We have this one on our 2008 beneteau 373. Bought the boat new with raymarine. We nor the repair guy can get it to recalibrate so it reads 60degrees off. Real pain -
Floaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2019, 20:20   #17

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinrod View Post
No, I am not kidding.

This is not a laughing matter.

You must live in California, right? LOLOL

Mae West
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 07:02   #18
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floaton View Post
Try to test it out before purchasing. We have this one on our 2008 beneteau 373. Bought the boat new with raymarine. We nor the repair guy can get it to recalibrate so it reads 60degrees off. Real pain -
The most common problems are:

1) Open cable conductor (often at the connection at the mast step).
2) Water logged anemometer PCB.

Check the signals on each display terminal with the anemometer connected and both cups and wind vane turning. From memory, WRT screen, red should be about 8 Vdc, the other coloured conductors will be 1-3 Vdc and vary with the variable they represent. The wind vane has two sensors, splitting 360 degree rotation in half for each sensor.

If all voltages are correct, the cable is likely OK, perform a master reset, set the parameter for recalibration (F1 instead of default F0) remove power, apply power, and then immediately turn your two circles (in at least 5 knots of wind, open water of course). It will blink during the offset calibration, and on successful completion start working. Your constant offset should now be corrected.

If any of the voltages are incorrect, disconnect the anemometer and display.

Check the continuity of the conductors from end to end. (If you don’t have a tone generator, you can clip two conductors together at one end, and then measure between them at the other. If continuous, your ohmmeter should read close to a dead short. Next with all conductors open circuit, measure between them all WRT all, and verify there are no conductors shorted.

If your cable checks OK, and the master reset / recalibration doesn’t solve it, the anemometer is likely defective. If handy, you can Re &Re the PCB for about $100.

Better yet, buy the PCB and the new anemometer. Replace the anemometer, do the Master Reset/Initial Offset Calibration, and all should be fixed. Then put the new PCB in the old one, and repeat. If the old one is now fixed, you now have a known working spare. I recommend disassembly for spare storage as they are necessarily very light, which makes them quite fragile, and likely to be broken when floating around in storage fully assembled, unless stored in a large box, which consumes inordinate space.

Hope this helps.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 07:16   #19

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

Quote:
No, I am not kidding.

This is not a laughing matter.

IMHO many are way too lax when handling hazardous, dangerous materials, and a 12 Vdc marine battery certainly fits this classification.

Marine 12 Vdc marine batteries contain hazardous materials, are very heavy, and could cause property damage or personal injury by their weight alone, and store a huge amount of energy just waiting to be released by some foolish handling.

It is a “Tim the Toolman” approach to powering a lower energy device, just like mounting a jet engine on a lawnmower.

Totally unnecessary, way overkill, and patently unsafe.

If some bloke brought a 12 Vdc marine battery to test a low energy instrument
I had for sale, I would think to myself, “What an idiot, he doesn’t even realize all of the potential hazards he is trying to expose us to”. Out loud, I would say, “leave that in your trunk, don’t hurt yourself or your property taking it back, and I will power it up with a proper device far better suited, and much safer for this test.”

There is a reason there are so many marine electrical standards associated with storage batteries. They can be extremely dangerous if mishandled. Disregarding this completely to pull a stunt like this is extremely foolish in my opinion.

Sorry for being so blunt but when someone recommends something this foolish (in my opinion) I believe it warrants a direct, no nonsense or pussy footing warning against,

Every individual is free to expose themselves to whatever hazards they wish, but please don’t suggest or recommend others do same in a public forum where we don’t know the knowledge or understanding level of the audience, to the numerous hazards involved.
Am I missing something, or aren’t most of our instruments already powered by 12vdc marine batteries? And I do t see how a vessel would be threatened, since the instrument isn’t installed and wouldn’t have to be powered up onboard...
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 08:02   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeuel View Post
Am I missing something, or aren’t most of our instruments already powered by 12vdc marine batteries? And I do t see how a vessel would be threatened, since the instrument isn’t installed and wouldn’t have to be powered up onboard...
Yes, you are missing lots of issues, and not “seeing” them does not make them disappear.

Mishandling storage batteries is dangerous. Period. To argue otherwise is totally futile IMHO.

If you don’t understand my position, I recommend you do not perform DIY marine electrical wiring.

The reality is, one doesn’t know what they don’t know, until they learn so.

Ignorance is no excuse for compromising vessel safety.

I have done my professional ethical duty to raise the warning. What anyone does with that is their choice.
Old 24-11-2019, 08:10   #21

Boat: Nonsuch 36

Or order an Autonnic NMEA / NMEA2k windunit directly from the UK manufacturer. Quality is really really good and support even better. This instrument spits out NMEA or NMEA2K data and is programmable / customizable. Hook it up to an NMEA repeater display or an OpenCPN pc and of you go. 210 UK Pound.

https://www.autonnic.com/
Standbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 11:16   #22
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Standbly View Post
Or order an Autonnic NMEA / NMEA2k windunit directly from the UK manufacturer. Quality is really really good and support even better. This instrument spits out NMEA or NMEA2K data and is programmable / customizable. Hook it up to an NMEA repeater display or an OpenCPN pc and of you go. 210 UK Pound.

https://www.autonnic.com/
“Replace with same” is usually the best, fastest, cheapest solution.

I have not worked with ultrasonic mast head units (though I have an ultrasonic handheld) but a reasonably tech savvy friend advised his research indicated the ultrasonic masthead units don’t seem to be proving any more reliable / durable.
Old 24-11-2019, 11:27   #23

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

I just recently upgraded my Raymarine kit and decided to move the old ST60 tridata and wind displays to the nav station. Love the i70’s.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 11:48   #24

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

Quote:
Yes, you are missing lots of issues, and not “seeing” them does not make them disappear.

Mishandling storage batteries is dangerous. Period. To argue otherwise is totally futile IMHO.

If you don’t understand my position, I recommend you do not perform DIY marine electrical wiring.

The reality is, one doesn’t know what they don’t know, until they learn so.

Ignorance is no excuse for compromising vessel safety.

I have done my professional ethical duty to raise the warning. What anyone does with that is their choice.
Oh wow.

Xanax might help. Or go sailing.
Jdeuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2019, 18:15   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdeuel View Post
Oh wow.

Xanax might help. Or go sailing.
Some people come to this forum for advice.

I just raised a flag on advice that I believe is really, really bad, and presented my justification for believing so.

IMHO, if someone posts bad advice and nobody calls it, a great deal of potential forum value is lost.

If you have anything intelligent to contribute, justifying your contrary position, please do so.

Tags
buying, grass, wind