Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2023, 18:30   #1

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed
C80 powers on but cannot click "OK" button

I was given an older C80 and only recently got a power cord for it. Powered right up, screen looks good but there is a little warning box that you need to click OK for to continue. Nothing happens when I push the OK button ( some other buttons beep when I push them). I know this is old but it has the Bahamas CF card and more than twice the screen size of the little Garmin chartplotter.

I suspect a sticky of corroded button. Do I have a chance at taking this apart and getting to the OK button to clean it?

I was going to use this as a waterproof MFD in conjustion with Open CPN running in the nav area. I know there was recently a thread about doing this but can't find it now.
Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2023, 20:03   #2

Re: C80 powers on but cannot click "OK" button

make sure no buttons are being held in by the cover. if you took the cover off to mount it and put the cover back on. (or when they removed it) sometimes it'll catch and hold down a button. making nothing else work.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2023, 11:15   #3

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Good suggestion, I took off the cover, reconnected and the OK button works. But I don't see any detail, just like I see on my Garmin when I am off the chart area of a chip. So I scrolled down to the Bahamas ( the CF chip says "Southeast -Bahamas" and still no change. I removed the chip and reinstalled and still nothing. Was there something else I needed to do?
Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF2.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	281360   Click image for larger version

Name:	CF1.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	281361  

Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2023, 11:44   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Has the last update been installed? V5.16 from memory. You will need a small genuine CF card if not. There used to be dire warnings not to use cheap copies of the CF cards. Finding them today is getting difficult. Mine is busy travelling around the world updating other Moody owners C series plotters. The V5.16 enables cards larger than 128 or perhaps 516Mb, cards to be used in a C80.

This may not solve the problem, but worth doing. Next see if you can borrow a another CF chart card to test the C80. It may be your card isn't being read, it is after all 20 years old.

The other week link is the screen connector cable is prone to come undone or corrode over time. It's also fragile, so do check but be gentle.
Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power