Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2020, 08:39   #16

Boat: Farr 43`
Re: Calibrating B&G Zeus2 Heading and COG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainRivet View Post
hi all,
i have the same problem with heading of autopilot 30degrees off with RC42 and zeus2 (but no zh100) and the rc42 calibration failed. i done several attempt and followed the steps presicely: never under 3m/s and completing 390 degrees in 130 till 190sec. every time calibration failed.

i cannot chose rc42 for heading in the autopilot setting, it automatically chooses the autopilot blackbox as source and doesn't show the rc42 to chose. rc42 is in the device list, selftest shows ok and i can choose it as compass source and COG is correct.

what can i do?
Do you have a rudder position sensor? e.g. RF25
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 08:43   #17

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Do you have a rudder position sensor? e.g. RF25
yes, the rc25
also since the last calibration attempt in the source list it shows: under navigation =>(off) W9 Navigator and I cannot siwtch it on or choose something else. I for sure just accidentally de/selected somewhere a tick box that causes this. But where?
If B&G runs it is good but as soon as you have some issues it is a nightmare to fix with the uncountable options, checkboxes, sub menus etc.
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:06   #18

Boat: Farr 43`

Quote:
yes, the rc25
also since the last calibration attempt in the source list it shows: under navigation =>(off) W9 Navigator and I cannot siwtch it on or choose something else. I for sure just accidentally de/selected somewhere a tick box that causes this. But where?
If B&G runs it is good but as soon as you have some issues it is a nightmare to fix with the uncountable options, checkboxes, sub menus etc.

Mmnn!
I think the W9 navigator is a software construct.
Mine shows it also.

More questions
Are you running v 18.3 of the Zeuss software?
Is the autopilot black box a NAC 2 or 3 or one of the older AP* units?
Rucksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:36   #19

If the compass calibration is failing you need to move the compass. To much interference around it.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2020, 09:45   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rucksta View Post
Mmnn!
I think the W9 navigator is a software construct.
Mine shows it also.

More questions
Are you running v 18.3 of the Zeuss software?
Is the autopilot black box a NAC 2 or 3 or one of the older AP* units?
18.3 and the old ap12 autopilot
Old 12-12-2020, 09:48   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
If the compass calibration is failing you need to move the compass. To much interference around it.
Compass is there/in its place and center of the boat (factory location) since 4 years and no problem calibrating it due to former owner.
I am sure there is just some wrong tickbox combination of wrong sources.
Heading is taken from ac12 and I cannot switch it to rc42.
Old 12-12-2020, 13:16   #22

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Quote:
Compass is there/in its place and center of the boat (factory location) since 4 years and no problem calibrating it due to former owner.
I am sure there is just some wrong tickbox combination of wrong sources.
Heading is taken from ac12 and I cannot switch it to rc42.

I believe the ac12 is the autopilot computer while the RC42 is the heading sensor. In other words, the ac12 receives heading data from the rc42 and your rudder sensor through the N2K network. I presume they are all connected to your Zeus2 on your N2K network?

If your Zeus is detecting the rc42 just make sure it is selected as the active compass or heading sensor. To check if your active heading reading is coming from the rc42, have someone move it back and forth and see if the heading changes on your display. I have the Precision 9 and I can rotate it to point it true forward. I assume you can do that with the rc42. If you are 30 degrees off, calibration isn't going to fix that. You need to physically adjust the orientation to match the boats bearing as measured by a separate compass. Then you can set the offset in the Zeus to fine tune it. Once you do that, you should be able to calibrate it.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2020, 20:17   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
I believe the ac12 is the autopilot computer while the RC42 is the heading sensor. In other words, the ac12 receives heading data from the rc42 and your rudder sensor through the N2K network. I presume they are all connected to your Zeus2 on your N2K network?

If your Zeus is detecting the rc42 just make sure it is selected as the active compass or heading sensor. To check if your active heading reading is coming from the rc42, have someone move it back and forth and see if the heading changes on your display. I have the Precision 9 and I can rotate it to point it true forward. I assume you can do that with the rc42. If you are 30 degrees off, calibration isn't going to fix that. You need to physically adjust the orientation to match the boats bearing as measured by a separate compass. Then you can set the offset in the Zeus to fine tune it. Once you do that, you should be able to calibrate it.
Yes everything is connected via n2k network to the Zeus.

The rc42 is in its location since 4 years when the whole boat was swapped to B&G and was working like should due to former owner.In feb 2020 when I bought the boat the heading was inline with the COG. Looked at Fotos of surveyor, directly above the rc42 is a classic magnetic compass which shoes the correct heading the same heading on the chartplotter. Means it’s correctly mounted and bearing fits too. The offset set was +3,97 degrees

All problems started after update to V18.2:
Rc42 got deselected by the update in the sources and the whole chartplotter plus autopilot stoped working. Local B&G Tech in Las Palmas discovered that and needed several attempts to get the rc42 selected. Since then the heading drifted slowly away from COG. After update to 18.3 the discrepancy got quickly worse and it’s nearly impossible to use the autopilot now. Others had the same problem, there is even a Thread.
Old 14-12-2020, 02:09   #24

Yes rc42 is selected as compass source and the ap12 as heading source,not possible to select rc42.
If the compass was before correctly pointing towards true forward (and it was) I don‘t see how this could change and I physically have to realign to true forward the rc42 again. It’s a huge effort to dismount it.

During calibration process the heading shown on Zeus 2 and triniton display are only around 1-2 degrees off from COG. After failed calibration message the discrepancy is back again around 30 degrees

In network =>navigation I get (off) w9 navigator BUT I cannot choose it. If I deselect it and wanna select it manually again it doesn‘t show up. I have to run autoselect sources so it takes the (off) w9 navigator.

Also the autopilot B&G remote connected via n2k cable is not working anymore after the calibration process.
Again nothing was changed physically, just 2 updates to 18.2 and 18.3.
This B&G crap is slowly driving me nuts
Old 09-02-2022, 12:02   #25

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 40 Voyagemaker Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Goto:
Settings-->Network-->Calibrate-->Heading

That should calibrate your compass!

The ZG100 is both a GPS and a compass.
Hola I have the Zeus2 MFD and most electronics are B and G, radar. AIS Numea 2000 BUT cannot get Heading data on MFD reads ---

I followed the advice above and the Heading choices available were darkly lit and unable to use any of the three choices there. I was logged in with my passoword for the MFD systems.

AnY advice amigos???

Bryon
Bella Sirena
Puerto Vallarta
DreamCatcher37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2022, 15:27   #26

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 40 Voyagemaker Cutter
Arrow Re: Calibrating B&G Zeus2 Heading and COG?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamCatcher37 View Post
Hola I have the Zeus2 MFD and most electronics are B and G, radar. AIS Numea 2000 BUT cannot get Heading data on MFD reads ---

I followed the advice above and the Heading choices available were darkly lit and unable to use any of the three choices there. I was logged in with my passoword for the MFD systems.

AnY advice amigos???

Bryon
Bella Sirena
Puerto Vallarta

AMIGOS I GOT THIS FIXED YEAH....EMPOWERING! A Data Source choice button was set wrong, all good now the RC42N Rate Compass on Bella Sirena is heading NNE at 29degreess at port. Life is good when ya win one with tech stuff.

Bryon
Bella Sirena
A Green Cruise Ship
Puerto Vallarta MX
DreamCatcher37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, head