Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2018, 07:46   #1

Boat: Hanse 575
Calibrating B&G Zeus2 Heading and COG?

Hello! I recently purchased a "new to me" boat with a B&G zeus 2 system.

I've noticed that on the chart plotter screen, the icon of the boat is always pointing to the right of the COG line. Here's a pic where I'm trying to explain what's happening. I've cut and pasted the image again, with comments. The "heading" shown with the red line is always right of the COG line. It shows it graphically, but also when I read the heading from the autopilot screen. The deviation is about 20-30 degrees. Always.

When in auto pilot, the heading might read 90 and the COG might read 70 for example.

How do I calibrate the Heading so that it is more in agreement with the compass and COG readings?

Thanks!!

Rob

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	3177
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	174960  
IL1333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:52   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Re: Calibrating B&G Zeus2 Heading and COG?

Rob try

Settings
Network
Calibration
Heading
Offset

Or you can just rotate the heading sensor.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 07:53   #3

Boat: Valiant 40

What kind of heading compass do you have? I suspect it needs to be calibrated. If you have the R45 or the Precision 9 make sure it is physically oriented in the right direction (bow) and then calibrate it (settings>device list>calibrate). If you’re using the Z100 gps with the heading sensor (doubtful if you have an autopilot) make sure the embossed arrow on it is facing forward.
Old 06-08-2018, 08:12   #4

What kind of compass? haha! I have no idea? each Helm has a liquid magnetic compass that is flush mounted next to the Chart plotter screens. But, I'm guessing that the electronics system has a component or instrument for compass. I have no idea what it is...or where it is located. What am I looking for?
Old 06-08-2018, 08:17   #5

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL1333 View Post
What kind of compass? haha! I have no idea? each Helm has a liquid magnetic compass that is flush mounted next to the Chart plotter screens. But, I'm guessing that the electronics system has a component or instrument for compass. I have no idea what it is...or where it is located. What am I looking for?
Look for a small white puck mounted somewhere on your boat. If its a B&G compass than you can calibrate it through the Zeus2. You go into the same area as above and click the "Calibrate" button and then follow the directions (which involve driving your boat in a circle in a set amount of time).

FYI.. We need to recalibrate about once every 4-5 months.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:52   #6

Great stuff!!!! Thanks for the help!!

Yes, I'm making progress! I have two helms and they both have a compass....or at least a housing. I'm not at the boat currently but I recall seeing some documents on a ZG100...so that must be what I have.

In the autopilot settings, I did run the calibration program...steering in circles. However, this didn't fix the COG and heading deviation.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	port.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	174965   Click image for larger version

Name:	starboard.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	174966  

Old 06-08-2018, 09:01   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I think they are the GPS antennae and/or autopilot remote receiver.

Some of the GPS units have a rudimentary compass but for the autopilot there will be a better primary compass. This will provide the heading information and will probaby be mounted somewhere in the interior, such as in a cupboard.

It is worth finding because it is important you do not stow anthing magnetic nearby. Check this is not the problem before you calibrate, or rotate the sensor.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:02   #8

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by IL1333 View Post
Great stuff!!!! Thanks for the help!!

Yes, I'm making progress! I have two helms and they both have a compass....or at least a housing. I'm not at the boat currently but I recall seeing some documents on a ZG100...so that must be what I have.

In the autopilot settings, I did run the calibration program...steering in circles. However, this didn't fix the COG and heading deviation.
Goto:
Settings-->Network-->Calibrate-->Heading

That should calibrate your compass!

The ZG100 is both a GPS and a compass.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:07   #9

This points me in the right direction now! I'll be back to the boat this weekend and can dig into it!!

thank you all so much for responding!!!

Rob
Old 06-08-2018, 11:11   #10

The ZG100 does provide heading data but is not a multi-axis compass. It’s a pretty poor substitute for an electronic compass. It’s for the B&G wind speed package that might be stand alone. So I’m guessing if you have a B&G autopilot you also have a compass installed.

Do this. Go back into settings and under “sources” you can see which device supplies what data. See what is set to supply heading data.

Most likely it’s a calibration issue not a physical install issue but it’s good to check. If you have a real electronic compass it will hopefully be installed close to the boat’s center axis of pitch and roll. Start looking for it there.
Old 06-08-2018, 11:16   #11

Boat: PDQ 32 LRC

Also, if you go to Settings>Network>Device List the Zeus2 will display all the devices connected. This should tell you exactly what compass is connected. You need to know what all is connected to the Zeus anyway, so you should do this. You probably have an N2K network of some sort if you have a Zeus2. You can (and should) follow the N2K backbone and locate the devices connected to it via a T connector. If the heading compass is N2K, it will be teed into the backbone somewhere. Mine is in a front bow locker.
You should also download the Zeus2 Operators Manual and the Installation Manual from the site. They provide a lot of information about calibration, etc. I still refer to both of these manuals and I'm still learning new capabilities after a year. Its a very powerful system.
Jerry Woodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 21:36   #12

does the heading vaule on the plotter match the heading vaule on the pilot display? if they are different then you are using 2 different compasses on the boat, or are they both the same number but both wrong?

the first thing is to figure out how many electronic compasses you have and what is using what. I would set the plotter to use the autopilot compass, so they always match. this is done in the plotter selecting sources. if the pilot sensor is wrong, you need to calibrate it in the auto pilot menu, circles is only one step, setting the offset is another step.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:36   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Rob try

Settings
Network
Calibration
Heading
Offset

Or you can just rotate the heading sensor.
I’m back on the boat for a few weeks and ready to sort this out.

When I go to ....settings,network,calibration......I do not have a choice to select “heading”. See pic.

When I go to list devices, I see that I have RC42 and ZG100. So I think this means I can choose which compass to use for different tasks such as autopilot and navigation. In the autopilot settings I can select either compass and it’s is currently set on the ZG100.

Where to go from here?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2E75A88A-0661-453F-8476-E90309F896C5.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	175275   Click image for larger version

Name:	4D506B66-3492-4E8A-8C1E-A00111ECC811.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	175276  

Name:	04C7381A-EA6A-416F-87D1-45042F76CAB1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	199.7 KB
ID:	175277  
Old 12-08-2018, 20:08   #14

Calibrating B&G Zeus2 Heading and COG?

You want the RC42 providing all your heading info. Under “sources” for “heading” change it to that.

Then calibrate it. That should be covered in the RC42 or Zeus manual.

The ZH100 has a simple bearing compass in it for service in a stand alone wind/speed/depth package to display wind direction relative to the boats heading. You can’t calibrate it, you can only physically turn it so it’s facing forward. The RC42 is s true multi-axis gyro compass.
Old 12-12-2020, 08:21   #15

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40

hi all,
i have the same problem with heading of autopilot 30degrees off with RC42 and zeus2 (but no zh100) and the rc42 calibration failed. i done several attempt and followed the steps presicely: never under 3m/s and completing 390 degrees in 130 till 190sec. every time calibration failed.

i cannot chose rc42 for heading in the autopilot setting, it automatically chooses the autopilot blackbox as source and doesn't show the rc42 to chose. rc42 is in the device list, selftest shows ok and i can choose it as compass source and COG is correct.

what can i do?
CaptainRivet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, head