Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2020, 10:40   #1

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Call sign for setting up ais

We ere setting up our new ais. Em-trak b-100. All hardware is in place, tested on receive only and working well.
We started doing the software install, and couldn't find our call sign. We have the mmsi# we are registered Canadian.
How do we go about finding the call sign associated with it, and is it necessary to display on broadcast?
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:46   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Call sign for setting up ais

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mac View Post
We ere setting up our new ais. Em-trak b-100. All hardware is in place, tested on receive only and working well.
We started doing the software install, and couldn't find our call sign. We have the mmsi# we are registered Canadian.
How do we go about finding the call sign associated with it, and is it necessary to display on broadcast?
You need a station license from the Canadian government. It lists your radio callsign. When you have an official mmsi from Canada, you probably already have the license and callsign.

Yes you really need a callsign or you’re not even allowed to use the VHF radio. You need a VHF operator’s permit as well.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 10:46   #3

Boat: Southwind 21 et al.

No firsthand knowledge but does this help?

https://sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_anon/mmsi_search.Ship
Old 01-01-2020, 11:07   #4

Boat: Trailerable cruising boat

A callsign is associated with a ship radio station license.

To learn about a Canadian SHIP STATION LICENSE and CALLSIGN for a Canadian boat, read:

https://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafet...-faqs-1489.htm

In their Answer #4, the above suggests you might be able to get an MMSI and not have a station license, and thus no callsign.

More details at

Licensing exemptions - Spectrum management and telecommunications
continuouswave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 11:52   #5

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

Thanks for the links.
We did apply to get the ship station license and have the existing mmsi transferred to us. We were given the mmsi# and by the first link, it is assigned to our boat name but not our registration # and no call sign. So I'm guessing we weren't issued the license. We sent an email to the lady who assigned the mmsi, and asked for clarification, and assistance.
Here's hoping for a quick response from the government[emoji16]
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 16:18   #6

canada does not use call signs for recreational boats. you only need it if you enter other countries
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 16:40   #7

Boat: C&C 37C

In the US I needed an FCC ship station Licence before I could get my MMSI. Look on your application for your MMSI?
My_Breakaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 17:19   #8

Boat: Hunter 386

The link given above should work (https://sd.ic.gc.ca/pls/engdoc_anon/mmsi_search.ship). If I type in my vessel name or mmsi I get my call sign. If you have a station license it should be automatic...

Other than that you need to contact a district office (Calgary for us Albertans) RIC-66 — Addresses and Telephone Numbers of District Offices - Spectrum management and telecommunications
Old 02-01-2020, 08:26   #9

Boat: Lagoon 400

You do not need a Callsign for the AIS. All you need is the MMSI. But to setup the number you need to program the AIS instrument that usually does not have an input tool and you need to connect to the AIS with an external computer and suitable programming software.
All this usually means arranging a meeting between the AIS unit and tech rep of the manufacturer if the AIS unit.
Old 02-01-2020, 08:41   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meirriba View Post
You do not need a Callsign for the AIS. All you need is the MMSI. But to setup the number you need to program the AIS instrument that usually does not have an input tool and you need to connect to the AIS with an external computer and suitable programming software.
All this usually means arranging a meeting between the AIS unit and tech rep of the manufacturer if the AIS unit.
Incorrect. Callsign is in message 24, Class B CS Static Data Report: MMSI, boat name, ship type, call sign, dimensions, and equipment vendor id.
Old 02-01-2020, 09:45   #11

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Incorrect. Callsign is in message 24, Class B CS Static Data Report: MMSI, boat name, ship type, call sign, dimensions, and equipment vendor id.
As far as I understand, while you are correct, it is allowed to omit the callsign info in the 24B message (replaced by @@@@@@@ string, meaning 'not available').
See https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=AISMessagesB
Old 02-01-2020, 11:17   #12

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

In Canada recreational vessels ARE NOT required to have station licenses and call signs. It was/is felt that putting bureaucracatic red tape in the way of people obtaining and using a simple, potentially life-saving device would be counter productive - also not worth the administrative costs.

It is VERY possible and easy to get an MMSI# in Canada WITHOUT a radio call sign (it's listed as "optional" on the application form). I recently did it. And the lady at the MMSI# registration desk in Ottawa is a gem - the most pleasant and helpful civil servent I've encountered in a long, long time. I told her that I was in a bit of a rush as I was leaving soon to sail north with no mail or cell phone service and she gave me my new MMSI# in the course of that phone call and followed it up (same day!) with an email. You don't get service like that from many government departments these days! Revenue Canada doesn't even answer their phones!
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2020, 11:43   #13

Boat: 42ft Moody Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post
In Canada recreational vessels ARE NOT required to have station licenses and call signs. It was/is felt that putting bureaucracatic red tape in the way of people obtaining and using a simple, potentially life-saving device would be counter productive - also not worth the administrative costs.

It is VERY possible and easy to get an MMSI# in Canada WITHOUT a radio call sign (it's listed as "optional" on the application form). I recently did it. And the lady at the MMSI# registration desk in Ottawa is a gem - the most pleasant and helpful civil servent I've encountered in a long, long time. I told her that I was in a bit of a rush as I was leaving soon to sail north with no mail or cell phone service and she gave me my new MMSI# in the course of that phone call and followed it up (same day!) with an email. You don't get service like that from many government departments these days! Revenue Canada doesn't even answer their phones!
Says it as it is
tarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2020, 00:26   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
As far as I understand, while you are correct, it is allowed to omit the callsign info in the 24B message (replaced by @@@@@@@ string, meaning 'not available').
See https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=AISMessagesB
The “@@@“ strings are a technical requirement because the name and callsign cannot be empty. Besides testing, both ships name and ships radio callsign are required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpius View Post

Some countries are slacking rule wise and that includes both US and, apparently, Canada. This however only applies to vessels from those countries when navigating within their countries own waters. As soon as the vessel enters International waters, it is fully under international maritime law, where such things as station license, operators license, official, registered mmsi number and radio callsign are required for all vessels that carry equipment related like vhf radios, ais transponders, SSB radio’s and EPIRB’s etc.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:38   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
The B100 can be programmed with the AIS Pro2 software without needing a tech rep. Although I understand you can't buy an AIS in the US unless the retailer sets it up for you.

The UK has less regulation and allows a grown up to do their own. I was going to ask what the War of Independence was fought for, less regulation and taxes

Whether the software will allow the AIS to be programmed without a call sign is another question of course. I didn't try this as I had a call sign so just entered it and everything just worked.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, cal, grass