Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2019, 12:43   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Can anyone recommend a good 12-volt TV monitor?

Our first TV for the boat we got at circuit city.
It was a combo Tv/dvd player, it wasn’t meant to be a 12 VDC TV, however it’s power brick took 120 VAC to 12 VDC, so I just cut off the brick and wired direct.
It worked fine, didn’t mind up to 15.5 VDC where I equalize at.
However it’s picture wasn’t great and the DVD wasn’t blue ray, the Samsung is much, much better picture.
The Sony blue ray I bought also has a power brick, guess what, 12V, so worked it direct.
Also the 1Tb hard drive to work with the Satellite receiver had a power brick, also 12V, so wired it direct.

I learned not to buy electronics made for 12V as they are often overpriced and lower quality, as it seems all 12V products are.
I learned instead when shopping look for a 12V power brick and just delete it, apparently 12V native is very common as are external power supplies (power bricks)

Unfortunately the Samsung doesn’t have an external power supply, but went with it for the superior features and picture.

The TV may be rated for x amp draw, but I bet it draws more when you set the brightness and contrast where the picture looks best, plus the 60W was just a guess, I think the 60W is the TV, the KVH Satellite dish and receiver, the satellite receiver, the hard drive and the blue ray combined, blue Ray in standby. Oh and the stereo too, cause the TV sounds like carp, so I use the stereo for sound.
Point is that 60w for two hours is less than 10 AH, which most can tolerate.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 13:11   #47

Re: Can anyone recommend a good 12-volt TV monitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In his test, the TV drew 3.9A on 12V vs 5.2 or 5.8 A on an inverter (depending on the inverter). He also points out that when you run a TV off an inverter, you are going from DC-AC in the inverter and then back to DC in the brick. Therefore there are two inefficiencies. To me, this is not insignificant.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

How much TV can one watch in a day?

5.8A minus 3.9A = heck let's call it 2.0A.

Say you watch 10 hours of TV a day.

That's all of 20 ah. Truly insignificant.

If that blows a battery energy budget, ya got bigger problems.

And lemme guess, you don't watch 10 hours of TV a day. Right?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 15:04   #48
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Can anyone recommend a good 12-volt TV monitor?

We may watch TV for two hours, often less.
But I know when we lived in a house it was often on, sometimes with no one watching.
Our Daughter when she lived with us with her kids went through my projection TV in just a few months, they have a limited life, it I believe was on the whole time I was at work.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 18:12   #49

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Can anyone recommend a good 12-volt TV monitor?

When we were in New Zealand about seven years ago, we bought a 19” 12-volt TV/DVD player with the brand name of ‘RSE’ which stood for ‘Rear Seat Entertainment’ (isn’t that what I was always looking for when I was in high school?). Regardless, it has all the connection ports anyone could want and can play movies from a thumb drive.

Since I think TVs are pretty ugly, I installed ours in a locker on a sliding shelf so that it’s concealed when we’re not watching.

Fair winds and calm seas.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0455.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	184014
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0456.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	184015
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote