Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2021, 14:26   #16

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: Can I outfit my boat with EDR/black box??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg354733 View Post
Firstly, I work in accident reconstruction so the possibility of EDR data in boats/personal watercrafts is of great interest to me. Seeing as boating accidents occur quite a bit in Florida, I'm looking for ways to interpret and analyze any data that I can find.

Secondly, I would think the owner may not have a desire for one, but why aren't the manufacturers or insurance companies (or even maritime orgs) looking into this data retrieval for safety standards, regulations, etc.?? This is how airbags/EDRs came to be in vehicles, after all.

Another reason may be for insurance defense in case of an accident you are able to clearly show "I gave way, here is the steering input" or "I was not going as fast as they claim". I guess you don't know you need it until it's too late.
Thanks for a reasonable reply. Upon consideration I can see that from your professional point of view the data would be interesting. However, it seems more applicable to motor vessels than to our pretty slow cruising sailboats. Our type of boats are seldom involved in collisions which result in severe damage or injury... hardly the case for automobiles with their need for airbags!

I for one would hate to see such instrumentation become a requirement for our boats. In an environment where electrical/electronic devices are often requiring maintenance or replacement adding these sensors and cabling and data recorders might be a challenge... and if a legal requirement, annual inspections or such would not be far behind. Goes against my view of what cruising is about!

Again, I think I understand your interest and wish you success in instrumenting your own vessel(s) and gathering the data you want.

Jim
Old 29-04-2021, 19:22   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
I'm not so sure it is a good idea to allow technology to interfere with natural selection...
We often said our job in the Coast Guard was thwarting Darwin.
redneckrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2021, 21:31   #18

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
Then regulation would probably follow and the freedom of the seas would be lost forever.
Yep, we need more gubberment rules

NOT.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:11   #19

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
[...]

I for one would hate to see such instrumentation become a requirement for our boats. [...]
Good point, Jim! I guess no one really wants that to be a requirement, but if it helps some power boaters to reduce their insurance premiums, they should go for it!
Only time will tell..

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Black Box, boat, electronic data, event data recorder