Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Marine Electronics
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2014, 16:04   #31

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)
Re: Can't change MMSI # in handheld with DSC????

A good find Monte, thanks.
Old 16-05-2014, 18:18   #32

Boat: Valiant 42

Should a handheld be assigned to a vessel or a person? For the relatively rare case of a personal handheld that moves from boat to boat I don't see the point in changing the MMSI to match the boat of the day. If someone wants to reach you they will know your MMSI but not the boat you are on (unless you tell everyone you know each time you rewrite the MMSI but your friend list will shrink I suspect). If someone wants to reach the boat they will know the MMSI of the boat and it's radio will be sufficient. The contact info in the registry should also be updated if you use a different MMSI so that creates a huge logistics problem and may be the main reason regulators don't want users editing the MMSI.

I think the desire to edit MMSI numbers will go away once the whole concept of DSC as a system is understood. There is more to it than just what vessel you are on.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 08:07   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel1 View Post
Not that secretive.

For the 150 model AIS password is a little different as no numerical keypad.
At password prompt, hit the following keys in sequence
MENU
ENTER
DISP
DIM
NAV STATUS
MENU

My good deed for the day
If there are any Uniden experts out there that would like to do a similar good deed. Please chime in. If you prefer not to make the secret handshake fully public, feel free to send me a private message.

Until the day that the DSC system is updated to some scheme like transmitterdan just suggested, I think that swapping numbers would still be my most desirable option. If the system were changed to recomend that handhelds be registered to a person, rather than a vessel, that would be an even better solution for me.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2014, 16:21   #34

Since Furuno seems a little more loose lipped with the secret code, I looked into getting a Furuno handheld. Sadly, I only see fixed mount radios in their VHF selection.
Old 20-05-2014, 14:44   #35

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

This was a discussion item at the latest USCG GMDSS Task Force meeting. Doesn't help the OP, but relief should be coming at normal bureaucratic speed.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 15:57   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auspicious View Post
This was a discussion item at the latest USCG GMDSS Task Force meeting. Doesn't help the OP, but relief should be coming at normal bureaucratic speed.
Thank you for posting. It is good to hear that a solution is in the works, even if I have to wait for it.
Old 22-05-2014, 15:23   #37

Been there refused to pay Standard. You might want to just access the MMSI data base and change the information there. Don't bother trying to change the number, Change the information associated with that number. That's what I did.

Good Luck & fair winds.

Henry
N4HHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2014, 23:20   #38
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I have a related question to this. We recently sold our Lagoon 380 and although the new owner has changes the transmit details for the AIS, it still uses the original MMSI #. This name was changed in the AIS transmitter on board, but it still comes up as Sephina on marine traffic and vessel finder.
SEPHINA - Sailing vessel - Details and current position MMSI 503654800
I would have thought they would recieive vessel information via base stations and automatically update vessel details. Any Ideas where they are getting their information and how to update the data?
Thanks
Monte
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 04:24   #39

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I have a related question to this. We recently sold our Lagoon 380 and although the new owner has changes the transmit details for the AIS, it still uses the original MMSI #. This name was changed in the AIS transmitter on board, but it still comes up as Sephina on marine traffic and vessel finder.
SEPHINA - Sailing vessel - Details and current position MMSI 503654800
I would have thought they would recieive vessel information via base stations and automatically update vessel details. Any Ideas where they are getting their information and how to update the data?
Thanks
Monte
Your post is missing three key bits of info that determine the way to go.... Who issued the MMSI number (national radio authority or BoatUS?)? Where was the boat registered/documented before and after the sale? Was the registration number maintained after the sale?

In any event, those sites get the boat name from the official databases (probably via the ITU database that can only be amended by national authorities; I wonder how they handle the numbers issued by BoatUS).

You should go back to the authority that issued the MMSI to you and follow their process to terminate the MMSI or change the boat/owner details, whichever is the right way to go.

Charlie
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 11:09   #40
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Charlie
Vessel MMSI was registered in Australia
Now registered in BVI's
I will contact AMSA/Ausbeacons and check with them about changing the details
Old 23-05-2014, 19:00   #41

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
Thanks Charlie
Vessel MMSI was registered in Australia
Now registered in BVI's
I will contact AMSA/Ausbeacons and check with them about changing the details
Here is my 1 cent..

Assuming that Oz and BVI handle these things as UK and most other former colonies (excluding the US):

- You have to terminate the boat's VHF (and HF) radio licenses, call sign and MMSI(not "change details") in Australia

- New owner has to apply for new BVI radio licenses call sign and MMSI.

- The new MMSI and call signs will be different than the old ones because the call signs and MMSI numbers are linked to the registration country that has used them.

- It is illegal for the new owner to keep broadcasting the old MMSI via AIS or DSC radios, hence he/she needs to change the numbers in the radios and AIS transponder. Neither Oz nor BVI will assume responsibility for how difficult they have made this.

If you can share the model of AIS and radios we can see if anyone can share the recipe for the MMSI change....

Charlie
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2014, 19:44   #42

A breath of fresh air.

KISS

If you want to move your HH, get one without DSC. Lots simpler. Or just move it and forget it for DSC, and check if the vessel has one and it is properly registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by transmitterdan View Post
Should a handheld be assigned to a vessel or a person? For the relatively rare case of a personal handheld that moves from boat to boat I don't see the point in changing the MMSI to match the boat of the day. If someone wants to reach you they will know your MMSI but not the boat you are on (unless you tell everyone you know each time you rewrite the MMSI but your friend list will shrink I suspect). If someone wants to reach the boat they will know the MMSI of the boat and it's radio will be sufficient. The contact info in the registry should also be updated if you use a different MMSI so that creates a huge logistics problem and may be the main reason regulators don't want users editing the MMSI.

I think the desire to edit MMSI numbers will go away once the whole concept of DSC as a system is understood. There is more to it than just what vessel you are on.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2014, 00:35   #43
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Charlie,
I will follow up with AMSA and the new owner.
Units are both Raymarine
RAY55E VHF radio and
AIS 650

cheers
Monte
Old 13-09-2021, 13:30   #44

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Any progress on this mess in the last 7 years? I just bought an ICOM M94D handheld for my deliveries because it has DSC and an AIS receiver/display. Going to the BoatUS website to get an MMSI, I still get the same old Catch 22 that the MMSI must be registered to the boat, at least in US waters.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 15:35   #45

Boat: Other people's boats

I have mine via usps.org, and simply entered "None" for vessel name / callsign, and "Unspecified" for vessel type. In the remarks field I put "Handheld VHF used on various vessels", and can update that as needed for any significant trips. I believe BoatUS has a similar route available.

If updating the comments to have ship name, etc. for a upcoming trip, it's probably wise to do so at least a week in advance so it has time to sync with the USCG database.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dsc